Page 4201 of 4272 FirstFirst ... 320137014101415141914199420042014202420342114251 ... LastLast
Results 84,001 to 84,020 of 85437

Thread: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Yeah - I don't mind Solarte, but Pearce and Solarte are expensive bench players. Doesn't seem like the best use of limited resources.
    Well, I'd expect Solarte to get ~400 PA, which could be about 1.5 WAR. And at 4M, that's really a very reasonable price. He's also under control for a few years, so if/when we do trade JD at the deadline, we don't have to rush Vlad Jr. Pearce is a 6M replacement level player in LF, but if we could find a way to dump Morales on someone, then Pearce would have some value as a platoon DH (his defense in LF was so bad that he would gain position value by being a DH). Both are still better uses of money than what we spent on Morales + JB last year, though. Nothing wrong with having a couple expensive bench bats, although we still better starting players for RF+LF.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really hard to upgrade on Goins and Barney without spending a little bit of money, and Diaz/Solarte are massive upgrades on that front for really a minimal cost.

Morales is the guy who prevents both those guys and Pearce from having more value.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsJonas View Post
    It's really hard to upgrade on Goins and Barney without spending a little bit of money, and Diaz/Solarte are massive upgrades on that front for really a minimal cost.

Morales is the guy who prevents both those guys and Pearce from having more value.
    freeing up DH time for tulo, martin and even travis & JD is so important. they ought to just cut their losses on morales if they can't find a team to take him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbow30 View Post
    freeing up DH time for tulo, martin and even travis & JD is so important. they ought to just cut their losses on morales if they can't find a team to take him.
    I think there's a chance Morales bounces back to be not completely useless, so I don't think I'd quite go so far as to just DFA/release him, but if we could get someone to take on even 5-6M of his remaining 22M salary, that would definitely open things up.

My hope is that we could pull off a deal with, say, Texas, swapping him for Choo. They have too many left-handed corner/OF bats, that I think they might not mind someone who can in theory hit a little against lefties, and saves them some money. Whereas Choo would fit great for the Jays as a DH/RF, high OBP left-handed bat. He's overpaid, but if you subtract out Morales' deal from him, it values him at about 3/40, which is probably not too far off from his worth. Or something like that - I doubt anyone would really want Morales, but if we can get them to give us someone a little more expensive, but who fits in better for us than for them, that would be perfect.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Morales is not a good candidate to bounce back. The only attribute he has is hitting, and he's not going to become a better hitter at 34/35. In fact he will turn more doubles into singles as he gets older and heavier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Morales is not a good candidate to bounce back. The only attribute he has is hitting, and he's not going to become a better hitter at 34/35. In fact he will turn more doubles into singles as he gets older and heavier.
    He could "bounce back" by cutting his Ks down a little or increasing his BB rate, but yeah, on second glance, it's not like he ran an abnormally low BABIP or HR/FB rate last year. I guess he could raise his FB rate a little more, but even all those rates were around his career norms. Okay, I'll retract my previous statement. He's fully toast, and were he a FA now, it's questionable whether anyone would even give him a spring training invite.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Having guys like Solarte and Diaz ( especially if he returns to his 2016 form) makes it so much easier to DFA Morales at the end of May if he's still ****ing shit, and have an open DH spot for Pearce, especially if an Alford or Hernandez is ready.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

why waste anybody's time? he is what he is.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    He could "bounce back" by cutting his Ks down a little or increasing his BB rate, but yeah, on second glance, it's not like he ran an abnormally low BABIP or HR/FB rate last year. I guess he could raise his FB rate a little more, but even all those rates were around his career norms. Okay, I'll retract my previous statement. He's fully toast, and were he a FA now, it's questionable whether anyone would even give him a spring training invite.
    well, i think a guy w a 250 avg, 300 obp and 25-30 hr would find an invite, and can probably find a role on a roster somewhere.

but the jays don't need his power. he doesn't bring anything to the table that this team needs.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Morales for Choo as a base kinda intrigues me.

Choo can still get on base and would fill a hole at the top of the order and in RF.

I have to think Jays would need to add some sort of sweetener

Post Thanks / Like

Morales is such deadweight. Anything we can do to get him off our roster should be done immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

The Astros are on the verge of acquiring Gerrit Cole from the Pirates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hairnova View Post
    The Astros are on the verge of acquiring Gerrit Cole from the Pirates.
    The rich get richer.

Post Thanks / Like

At least it's not the Yanks

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deckie007 View Post
    At least it's not the Yanks
    Or the Red Sox.

If the Jays play their cards right they are legit wildcard contenders.
    Last edited by CaptainBolduke; 01-10-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Jeff Passan just said the trade's not happening. For now anyway.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Jay Bruce to Mets 3/39

Very reasonable for a player i wouldn't have wanted on the Jays due to roster construction, and a deal that forever makes the Morales deal look worse.

Post Thanks / Like

thank god.
    #FreeVladdyJr

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he was always a risk that we would end up with him. I'd say the deal isn't that bad, but he has only been worth 3 WAR total over the last 4 seasons. Although if you think his power spike the last couple years is sustainable, it might not be an ugly deal.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Seth Smith coming our way.

Page 4201 of 4272 FirstFirst ... 320137014101415141914199420042014202420342114251 ... LastLast