Page 4203 of 4212 FirstFirst ... 3203370341034153419342014202420342044205 ... LastLast
Results 84,041 to 84,060 of 84236

Thread: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

  1. #84041
    Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    10,337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    When in the history of North American professional sports has a pending unrestricted free agent ever NOT said some variation of that? It's standard lip service to the market you're still currently playing in.
    I knew this was gonna be said as soon as i made my post. Good job. Donaldson could of said many things but to just claim it as "standard lip service" when you nor I have zero clue what happens behind closed doors doesnt signifiy hes just bull shitting us

  2. #84042
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    42,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    I wouldnt necessarily call it lip service, it seemed genuine enough, but i also dont think for a second it means we are so much his top choice that he's going to bypass entering free agency for the first and likely only significant time for anything less than top dollar.

    The only things that could or should concern JD into signing early are his age and the fact he is in an FA class with Machado, Harper, and Kershaw, and really until we see guys like Martinez get his deal, we wont really know if teams are scared to sign guys until they are 39-40.

    Dollars should be easy enough for TOR/JD to figure out, 30M, but the difference between 3-4 years, which i assume is the Jays comfort zone, and 6-7 which is i imagine where JD wants to be is what is going to make him test the market.

  3. #84043
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsJonas View Post
    I wouldnt necessarily call it lip service, it seemed genuine enough, but i also dont think for a second it means we are so much his top choice that he's going to bypass entering free agency for the first and likely only significant time for anything less than top dollar.

    The only things that could or should concern JD into signing early are his age and the fact he is in an FA class with Machado, Harper, and Kershaw, and really until we see guys like Martinez get his deal, we wont really know if teams are scared to sign guys until they are 39-40.

    Dollars should be easy enough for TOR/JD to figure out, 30M, but the difference between 3-4 years, which i assume is the Jays comfort zone, and 6-7 which is i imagine where JD wants to be is what is going to make him test the market.
    The funny part is that he's arguably the best player available in the class - he's basically been the 2nd best player in baseball behind Trout for the last 4-5 years. But, he's also going to be one of the older guys available. As I said, he very well could end up in that awkward case where the big players with money will give the crazy deals to Harper/Machado/Kershaw, and the players like McCutchen, Pollock, or Jones might be willing to sign for less just to secure a deal and not be left in the cold, so the guys like Blackmon and Donaldson, who have been good enough recently to demand a deal with the big guys, but who certainly don't command the same respect (or age) that they have, may be left wondering.

    I mean, everyone can probably project a 5/150 deal for JD. The real story is whether he would have the leverage to push that higher - can he get someone to lock him in for life with a 7/200 deal, or can he push for the 5/175 deal getting the AAV up higher? Or does the market fall on him, and he can't even get the 5th year, having to "settle" for a 3/105 or 4/120. You're going to have a lot of teams coming through their rebuilds like Philly, Atlanta, maybe a San Diego too, who are eyeing the market and seeing if they can get a premium player for a non-premium price. After a dud offseason this year (outside of the Marlins+Ohtani), next year is definitely shaping up to be crazy to watch.

  4. #84044
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    21,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Donaldson likes Toronto and would probably sign here if they offered him a competitive contract.

    They won't though.

  5. #84045
    Champion Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top of the Podium
    Posts
    16,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Gerrit Cole to the Astros done.

    Michael Feliz, Joe Musgrove, Colin Moran, Jason Martin going the other way.
    #TeamDubas

  6. #84046
    Legend Deckie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Centre of the Universe
    Posts
    34,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Some decent pieces but really nothing amazing. That's a pretty sweet deal for 2 years of Cole.

  7. #84047
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    42,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    thats a heap of meh.

    McCutchen and Harrison to move now.

  8. #84048
    Legend Deckie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Centre of the Universe
    Posts
    34,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Cutch is a Giant for sure.

  9. #84049
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    42,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by Deckie007 View Post
    Cutch is a Giant for sure.
    Which could, i hope pave the way for Cain to take our reasonable offer.

  10. #84050
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    21,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Cain won't be a Jay.

  11. #84051
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    42,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Probably cause Anthopolous liked him once, right?

  12. #84052
    Legend JackBurton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    37,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    When in the history of North American professional sports has a pending unrestricted free agent ever NOT said some variation of that? It's standard lip service to the market you're still currently playing in.
    Kovalchuk actually said it about Atlanta.

  13. #84053
    Legend LeafGm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    46,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    I knew this was gonna be said as soon as i made my post. Good job. Donaldson could of said many things but to just claim it as "standard lip service" when you nor I have zero clue what happens behind closed doors doesnt signifiy hes just bull shitting us
    To be clear, like you, I have no idea whether it is actually lip service or not in Donaldson's case. The point is that since every single professional athlete in Donaldson's place makes some variation of that statement, it's a waste of time to try and read anything into it.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

  14. #84054
    1st Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    To be clear, like you, I have no idea whether it is actually lip service or not in Donaldson's case. The point is that since every single professional athlete in Donaldson's place makes some variation of that statement, it's a waste of time to try and read anything into it.
    For what its worth, Donaldson approached management on his own and told them he wants to stay long-term. Generally, players don't take it that far, if they're just providing lip-service.

    Josh Donaldson would be 'tickled pink' to stay with Toronto Blue Jays long-term — down season be damned

  15. #84055
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    FYI, if anyone wants to hear Atkins not answer questions about whether the Jays should rebuild, he's the guest at the pitch talks event in a couple weeks: http://www.homestandsports.com/upcoming-shows/

    Bob Kendrick of the Negro Leagues Museum is also a fascinating speaker the same day too. He was at one of the events before, and you could listen to him for 2 hours talk about great players from the past.

  16. #84056
    Champion Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top of the Podium
    Posts
    16,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    McCutchen to Giants done, pending physical.

  17. #84057
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    42,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Giants land Cutch n Longoria, not sure they move out of 4th in NLW

  18. #84058
    Legend Killer93's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Whitby Ontario
    Posts
    6,374
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Curtis Granderson LOL
    #Auston316

  19. #84059
    Super-Star
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Ew

  20. #84060
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    21,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Sounds about right. It was him or Seth Smith with this administration.

Page 4203 of 4212 FirstFirst ... 3203370341034153419342014202420342044205 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •