• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

If we can get Andersen for cheap, go for it. But draft Carter Hart at #31 and develop him in the meantime.

i have a feeling that we'll see a handful of decent prospects + bozak dealt for a defenseman.

I'm sure there is going to be some trade like this before opening day.

Bozak is absolutely bumped off the team with all the recent additions, and his salary has no place on the third line (especially with Kadri and his $4.5M already there).

It would be beyond amazing if Bozak and a couple of the lesser prospects can be turned into a really good first pairing #2 type guy, preferably in his mid 20s.

i have a feeling that we'll see a handful of decent prospects + bozak dealt for a defenseman.

+1

I could definitely see us swing a big trade for a young defender that their club is having a hard time signing. This group has no concerns about trading their B & B+ prospects, I would imagine that the amount of faith in Hunter to replenish that group annually is pretty ****ing high.

Tyler Parsons? Led the league in Sv% in the regular season and playoffs so far

My view is that two of the 12 picks should be used on goalies. If we can snag the two best guys, even if we have to use early (2nd, 3rd round) picks, it'd be a wise move, imo.

Problem is that it's not a particularly good year for goalies, so I'd be very hesitant if I were the Leafs on drafting any goalie high. You're better off using your first few picks on forwards and then filling out the rest of the draft selections with defenders and goalies in the mid to late rounds.

Something to remember is that the CHL has a pretty abysmal recent track record of churning out quality NHL goalie prospects.

Garret Sparks, for example, is one of the best pro goalies to come out of the OHL in the last five or six years, which tells you a lot.

I've been watching a lot of London games for Marner, Parsons has a lot of potential. I'd take a shot in the mid rounds. I'd probably avoid goalies at #31 though. There isn't one in this draft that looks like a sure thing at 18.

18 yr old goalies are voodoo....I don't think anyone really knows what is, or isn't a good year for goalies on the day of the draft. There's sometimes one really good goalie prospect who is projectable and goes somewhere in the 1st (Samsonov, Vasilevsky) but usually a bag of maybes that start getting picked in the early to mid 2nd (Blackwood, Demko, Fucale). Guys like Hart, Parsons, Sawchenko, Gustavsson or my personal favourite Vehvilainen (because I have a thing for Finnish teenagers who are already plus starters in Liiga...it's a personal bias) are probably worth a 2nd or a 3rd though and definitely belong in a group of prospect goalies taken in the 2nd and 3rd over recent years.

So yeah, it might be a bad year for goalies in that there is no Samsonov or Vasilevsky to get at the 20 spot, but I don't think the quality of the group of 5-8 goalies that will go in the 2nd-4th rounds is worse than in other years.

I could see the Penguins dealing Fleury before they deal Murray. I would attempt to pry Gibson out of Anaheim

Something to remember is that the CHL has a pretty abysmal recent track record of churning out quality NHL goalie prospects.

8 of the top 12 in SV% with over 40 games played this season are CHL products.

Garret Sparks, for example, is one of the best pro goalies to come out of the OHL in the last five or six years, which tells you a lot.

Also in that same time period. Mrazek, Gibson, Martin Jones, Jake Allen, Holtby, All in the last 7 years. The truth of the matter is that most goalies take a long time to develop.

If you want current goalie prospects in the NHL that were CHL alums: Matt Murray, Robin Lehner, Calvin Pickard.

Yeah man, Sparks doesn't really make the list.

How about we just hoard picks and trade for a good established goalie when we need one instead of rolling the dice?

How about we just hoard picks and trade for a good established goalie when we need one instead of rolling the dice?

Or identify high SV%, athletic goalies and snag one with a 3rd or 4th just about every year and develop our own? I mean, trying to trade for a good established goalie is ****ing expensive, with a limited market. You can get average goaltending easy enough, but getting the type of legit, plus goaltending that you win with? Costly man, if it's available at all.

Draft and sign... at best the goalie you draft now will be ready for full time duty in 4 or 5 years.

They should do both. I'd be all over that Tampa situation. One of those goalies will have to move, and hopefully Bishop as he is one of the best. Then you draft goalies to hopefully end up in a Tampa situation.

One thing I'm not keen on is trading for another team's backup goalie or highly touted prospect goalie. We've been down that road one too many times already.

I'm fine with trading for an elite guy if the cost and fit is right, or trading for a guy with experience as an NHL starter/1A goalie.

And in the background, use a mid-to-late round at least every couple of years to take a flier on a goalie in the draft, and hope one of them turns into our own Matt Murray.

Back