• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Agile and quick? Absolu.

Top straight line speed? Not overly impressive.

I'd rather he have the quickness than straight line speed but the fact is he isn't necessarily a fast skater. If you watched him in preseason he consistently got caught in foot races. Shifty and quick first step, which is way more important, but I wouldn't call him fast by any stretch.

It's hard to tell.

50% chance he's serious, 50% chance he's Couturier'ing us.

The Gagner comparison and bragging about my genius was Couturier'ing, not this. Put Marner in a straight line race against any Leaf and odds are he'll lose. Quick off the line but his top speed isn't nearly as impressive.

This is your personal scouting report.

At the draft, the one and only knock on him was that his shot wasn't much to write home about.

I think they gave him 3/5 on the shot, and 5/5 in every other department, including skating.

This is your personal scouting report.

At the draft, the one and only knock on him was that his shot wasn't much to write home about.

I think they gave him 3/5 on the shot, and 5/5 in every other department, including skating.
Oh, I agree. He's a fantastic skater.

He's a fantastic skater, but just really slow is what you're claiming?
Yes. Really slow. That's exactly what I said. Stupidest person I have ever had the displeasure of communicating with and that includes Pronger and some beast kid with down syndrome at my old high school.

https://youtu.be/7LMJGylhgjo

About a minute in you see that straight ahead speed you mention he doesn't have

Kid got wheels

Yeah and at around 1:35 as well.

He's no Pavel Bure but he's got well above average speed and so i'm not worried about that at all. I think it's his high hockey iq that impresses the most. Some of the plays he makes in tight spots is really impressive.

Yes. Really slow. That's exactly what I said. Stupidest person I have ever had the displeasure of communicating with and that includes Pronger and some beast kid with down syndrome at my old high school.

Uh yeah, when one post up you said that he'd lose in a straight line race with against ANY Leaf, you are claiming he's slow, because generally the slowest skater on a team is, like you, slow.

It's one thing to not be able to comprehend other people's posts, but to not even be able to understand your own posts is pretty...special.

It seems like Preston is always the one talking up our big oaf unskilled prospects and questioning the more skilled guys so I'm not that surprised.

I think Nylander is a damn near lock to be a quality #1 center.

I think Marner is likely to be an impact player in the NHL. He's quick, shifty, hard nosed, and remarkably skilled. He's not going to win many footraces though. I also don't think he's a center.

I think Freddy the Goat has been gorgeous so far this year and possibly re-igniting the 3rd line center potential if he can play at a 35-40ish point pace in his rookie year.

Nylander-Kadri-Goat is not a bad top three.

On an extremely superficial level, Gagner's a great name to throw into the discussion if you want to say "hey look, here's another player who scored at a similar level as Marner in his draft year and he never lived up to his draft ranking!"

But the comparison falls apart when you scratch a little below the surface. Gagner put up his points playing on a line with two players that were significantly better offensively than he was, while on the flip-side, Marner put up his points as the best offensive player on his line by a wide margin. You're also the first person I've ever heard describe Marner's skating as anything other than a big strength in his game.

I'm not sure that a 17 year old Marner was the best offensive player on his line by a wide margin.

For the first half of the season... yes.

The second half of the season the Knights often rolled out Domi - Dvorak - Marner.

The best offensive player on the line by a wide margin? To me 19 year old Domi is a better player than 17 year old Marner... that said Marner is likely the better prospect long term, just that age difference matters though. Thats why Domi was on line 1 of Team Canada at the World Juniors last year, and is currently 2nd in NHL rookie scoring. That kid can play.

I'm not sure that a 17 year old Marner was the best offensive player on his line by a wide margin.

For the first half of the season... yes.

The second half of the season the Knights often rolled out Domi - Dvorak - Marner.

The best offensive player on the line by a wide margin? To me 19 year old Domi is a better player than 17 year old Marner... that said Marner is likely the better prospect long term, just that age difference matters though. Thats why Domi was on line 1 of Team Canada at the World Juniors last year, and is currently 2nd in NHL rookie scoring. That kid can play.
Well, I'm glad I decided not to take your word for it and looked this up...

2nd half of regular season:

Mitch Marner: GP 32, G 19, A 47, Pts 66
Max Domi: GP: 30, G 15, A 30, Pts 45

Playoffs:

Mitch Marner: GP 7, G 9, A 7, Pts 16
Max Domi: GP 9, G 5, A 4, Pts 9

ya marner got off to a real slow start. 8 points in his first 12 games.

118 points over the final 51 games.

that's a 190 point pace over 82 games.

marner got better as the year went on. he didn't take a back seat to domi in the least.

if anything i'd say that they helped each other.

but marner's skill is legit. and he's a better prospect than domi for sure.

Playoffs:

RG0BS1U.gif

Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Timashov 2g
Dzierkals 2a
Bracco 2a
Marner 1g
Nielsen 1a

Hunter knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Playoffs:

Looks like a wide margin to me.

Back