• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

It will be interesting to see if Nylander lasts any longer at this tourney than Rielly did last year. They only needed to see one game from Rielly to conclude he was way above the prospect camp level.

Interesting that it's a fairly small roster.

3 goalies is typical, and they'll probably get 2 games each.

Only 8 dmen means only one pair is sitting each game, meaning they'll all get a bunch of games,

17 forwars gives themna bit more flexibility with almost two full lines sitting each game.

Decent number of guys to keep an eye on here.....

Leivo 21 - Gauthier 19 - Nylander 18
Brown 20 - Verhaeghe 19 - Biggs 21
Rupert 20 - Rupert 20 - Broll 21

Finn 20 - Valiev 19
Loov 22 - Nilsson 21
(Knodel 24)

Sparks 21
Bibeau 20
Gibson 22

Don't know any of the other guys. They're all undrafted.

The one guy who might look interesting is cody donaghy. He is only 18, and put up very solid offensive numbers in the Q last year for a 17yr old dman, even though it was his first full season in junior. He doesn't seem to be a midget at 6'1", either.

Think I'm most interested for Verhaeghe, Nylander, Valiev, Finn.

I hope someone can make it tough on management to keep some of the reclamation projects on the big club.

Sh*tty that we don't have that many roster spots available. Komarov, Booth, Santorelli, Kontiola, Clarkson should all be battling for spots on the team with some of the prospects. The way it looks is that most of them will be handed spots.

That's a lot of 1 yr contracts that you're claiming are going to be handed jobs.

The Leafs don't really have any forwards knocking down the door at this point anyway other than guys like Holland, Ashton and Frattin who probably will make it. Most of the top guys are young still.

Leivo will get some NHL time this year. Maybe Nylander makes it. But they needed that depth.

If anyone earns a spot they'll make it just like Rielly last year.

Komorov, Booth, Winnik, Kontiola, Santorelli, Clarkson, and Holland will all be fighting for bottom 6 spots.

And probably Frattin, Ashton, Bodie too. No idea what you're talking about when you say handed spots.

uncle Leo likely has a spot wrapped up IMO. booth and kontiola are likely the two fighting for time

uncle Leo likely has a spot wrapped up IMO. booth and kontiola are likely the two fighting for time

Probably. Those guys on one year deals aren't blocking anyone though and there's definitely some health competition for the bottom 6 spots.

honestly I'm fine with Leo being "given" a spot. he is just one of those guys who are excessively hard to find and even harder to replace

A lot of people were harping on the money/term for Leo and him being handed a spot but when Phil personally goes to the GM and asks to bring him back you know he had a big impact on that team.

A lot of people were harping on the money/term for Leo and him being handed a spot but when Phil personally goes to the GM and asks to bring him back you know he had a big impact on that team.

I never heard this... can you expand on the story

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 10m
Looks like William Nylander will start prospect tournament playing right wing on a line with Carter Verhaeghe and David Broll.

Jonas Siegel ‏
Gord Dineen says Nylander might play in only one of three tournament games. Will play the opener tomorrow night.

The Rielly treatment.

@HennyTweets: Leaf lines in London :
Broll-Verhaeghe-Nylander.
Watling-Gauthier-Leivo
M.Rupert-R.Rupert-Biggs
Bowles-Findlay-Philip

Loov-Nilsson
Knoedel-Donaghey
Finn-Fraser

Sparks in net.

Praying that Nylander makes an impact early. It'd be nice to hit a homerun at the draft.

Anyone else watching the game?

On forward, Leivo has been by far the best. Completely dominant out there every time he's on the ice.

Nylander has shown flashes of brilliance. His skill is unreal. Although he looks really weak and soft on the puck, and he's a bit of a floater. AHL time would benefit him I think. It's one game, but I think I like Leivo's chances of making the team better.

On d, Finn has been pretty horrible despite his goal. Knodel has been by far the best. He's a bit older than mostly everyone else so I don't know if we should be reading into it at all, but damn he looks awesome back there.

Last edited:
Back