• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Engvall with another point tonight

That's 6 in 7gp. Would be nice if we found ourselves another diamond in the rough

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Dude has put up nice numbers at every level he's played since the draft

D+1 (J20) - 38GP 1.34 PPG (110 points/82)
D+2 (Allsvenskan) - 50GP .48 PPG (39 points/82)
D+3 (Allsvenskan) - 50GP .8 PPG (66 points/82)
D+4 (SHL) -31GP .65 PPG (53 points/82)

To put that in context, while his J20 numbers are pretty comparable to some high skill NHL'ers with Swedish backgrounds, his professional numbers are a step behind guys like Soderberg, Hornqvist, Arvidsson, etc but comparable to 3rd line guys like Janmark, & Fast...and way better than depth NHL'ers like Melker Karlsson.

There's offensive pedigree for a middle 6 forward in there.

Getting a middle six forward with your last pick is huge.

The next addition to legends row should be Thommie Bergman.

A couple more Leaf draftees have joined the Marlies.

Carl Grundstrom has finally made his way over from Sweden. Presumably, he'll get into the lineup for a couple of the Marlies' remaining three regular season games, and then will slot right into their lineup as a playoff regular.

Also joining the team on an amateur try-out is goalie Ian Scott, who was a Leaf mid-round pick last year.

The Marlies played the last game of their regular season on Sunday.

Some notables:

• 2017 4th rounder Ian Scott was given his first professional start in the final game of the year, picking up the win & stopping 30 of 33 shots.

• Overall, things have gone well for the two Swedish forwards who joined the Marlies at the conclusion of their SHL seasons. Pierre Engvall finished up with 4 goals & 8 points in 9 games. And Carl Grundstrom, who I'd say is probably our next prospect in line for an NHL debut, scored a goal & three points in two games.

• Marlie prospects who finished hot down the stretch: Adam Brooks (5g,12pts/13GP), Jeremy Bracco (2g,15pts/13GP), Andrew Nielsen (3g,11pts/15GP)

With the Marlies being done, here's where things stand with our prospects. All of our guys playing in Europe are finished their regular season and playoffs, as are the NCAA kids. In the CHL, all of our kids are done their regular seasons & playoffs, with the exception of Eemeli Rasanen & Nicolas Mattinen, who are on opposite sides of one of the OHL's semi-finals. And the Marlies are about to start their first round playoff series against Utica.

Here are the numbers:

3q0BErI.jpg

got4Wti.jpg

9rJhLte.jpg

And out of our current pool of prospects, here are the guys who might be disappearing from this list going forward, as either their rights or their contracts are set to expire this summer:

Frederik Gauthier:

His entry-level deal is set to expire this summer. Over the past few years, he hasn't progressed a whole lot at the AHL level. And he's been handed an extended opportunity to grab the Leafs' 4th line center spot really in each of the past three years. Each time, he's clearly demonstrated that he's not an NHL-caliber player.

So, he may be a guy on the bubble. Maybe the Leafs still throw him a one-year contract because the organization is thin at center, and they have a bunch of other contract slots opening up this summer. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if they let him walk, or maybe only offered him an AHL deal.

Miro Aaltonen:

The entry-level deal the Leafs signed him to was only a one year deal, owing to his age. So, they're faced with a decision on him this summer. At 24 years of age, he didn't come over and demonstrate that he's a superior player at the AHL level. So unless he changes some minds by going legend in the AHL playoffs, or something, there isn't a strong argument he's got an NHL future/. And if that's the case, there's not a whole lot of point to re-signing him.

But then the same consideration as Gauthier comes into play. They are thin at center at the AHL level, so maybe they bring him back on another one year deal. Or maybe Aaltonen himself decides he'd like to head back over to Europe to chase some job security.

Kasimir Kaskisuo:

Who? This guy's kind of a forgotten man among Leaf prospects. A refresher: He's a Finnish kid the Leafs signed out of US College in the summer of 2016. After mostly playing for the Leafs' ECHL affiliate last year, he looked set to split the Marlie crease with Garret Sparks until the Leafs acquired Calvin Pickard.

After that, he was the Marlies' third goalie for a little bit. Then Vegas's goalies started dropping like flies, and they needed someone to stop pucks for their AHL affiliate after recalling their third, fourth & fifth string goalies to the NHL. So, the Marlies loaned Kaskisuo to the Chicago Wolves of the AHL. And there he posted a somewhat mediocre record for 28 games, until Vegas/Chicago's other goalies came back. Now he finds himself back in the ECHL.

I'd be surprised if this is a player the Leafs don't cut bait on.

Pierre Engvall:

As a 2014 draft pick out of Sweden, Engvall is set to become a UFA this summer if the Leafs don't sign him before then. He's a guy who at times I've thought was at risk of having his rights expire, but his decent season in the SHL and impressive run of success with the Marlies probably tips the scales towards him getting an entry-level contract.

It also helps his case that he's a 6'4", natural left winger.

Vladimir Bobylyov:

The rest of our Russian prospects have their rights held by the Leafs pretty much indefinitely, because of the lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia. But Bobylyov was drafted out of the Western Hockey League, so he'll re-enter the draft this year if the Leafs don't sign him before then.

And I think it's a certainty the Leafs won't sign him, given his unremarkable post-draft performance both in the CHL and in Russia.

Keaton Middleton & Nicolas Mattinen:

In the past couple of drafts, Hunter's taken a bunch of swings at massive defensemen that he probably hoped could evolve into two-way defensemen.

He's had varying degrees of success with some of those picks (Eemeli Rasanen, Andrew Nielsen, Fedor Gordeev), but Middleton & Mattinen are probably headed towards the same scrap-heap Stephen Desrocher got tossed onto last summer. Middleton in particular is just not a guy with a skill level that'll get him to the NHL.

And as for Mattinen, what's most intriguing about him is that he's a 6'5" RHD. But I just don't think he's shown enough to earn a contract.

Nolan Vesey:

It's the end of the line for Jimmy Vesey's little brother, as he's finished his last year of college. So, either the Leafs sign him, or he follows in his brother's footsteps and becomes a UFA on August 15th. And I think you can just about bet your house on the Leafs not signing him.

Nolan isn't half the prospect his brother was, and it's not like Jimmy's tearing up the NHL either.

The Marlies played the last game of their regular season on Sunday.

Some notables:

• 2017 4th rounder Ian Scott was given his first professional start in the final game of the year, picking up the win & stopping 30 of 33 shots.

• Overall, things have gone well for the two Swedish forwards who joined the Marlies at the conclusion of their SHL seasons. Pierre Engvall finished up with 4 goals & 8 points in 9 games. And Carl Grundstrom, who I'd say is probably our next prospect in line for an NHL debut, scored a goal & three points in two games.

• Marlie prospects who finished hot down the stretch: Adam Brooks (5g,12pts/13GP), Jeremy Bracco (2g,15pts/13GP), Andrew Nielsen (3g,11pts/15GP)

With the Marlies being done, here's where things stand with our prospects. All of our guys playing in Europe are finished their regular season and playoffs, as are the NCAA kids. In the CHL, all of our kids are done their regular seasons & playoffs, with the exception of Eemeli Rasanen & Nicolas Mattinen, who are on opposite sides of one of the OHL's semi-finals. And the Marlies are about to start their first round playoff series against Utica.

Here are the numbers:

3q0BErI.jpg

got4Wti.jpg

9rJhLte.jpg

And out of our current pool of prospects, here are the guys who might be disappearing from this list going forward, as either their rights or their contracts are set to expire this summer:

Frederik Gauthier:

His entry-level deal is set to expire this summer. Over the past few years, he hasn't progressed a whole lot at the AHL level. And he's been handed an extended opportunity to grab the Leafs' 4th line center spot really in each of the past three years. Each time, he's clearly demonstrated that he's not an NHL-caliber player.

So, he may be a guy on the bubble. Maybe the Leafs still throw him a one-year contract because the organization is thin at center, and they have a bunch of other contract slots opening up this summer. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if they let him walk, or maybe only offered him an AHL deal.

Miro Aaltonen:

The entry-level deal the Leafs signed him to was only a one year deal, owing to his age. So, they're faced with a decision on him this summer. At 24 years of age, he didn't come over and demonstrate that he's a superior player at the AHL level. So unless he changes some minds by going legend in the AHL playoffs, or something, there isn't a strong argument he's got an NHL future/. And if that's the case, there's not a whole lot of point to re-signing him.

But then the same consideration as Gauthier comes into play. They are thin at center at the AHL level, so maybe they bring him back on another one year deal. Or maybe Aaltonen himself decides he'd like to head back over to Europe to chase some job security.

Kasimir Kaskisuo:

Who? This guy's kind of a forgotten man among Leaf prospects. A refresher: He's a Finnish kid the Leafs signed out of US College in the summer of 2016. After mostly playing for the Leafs' ECHL affiliate last year, he looked set to split the Marlie crease with Garret Sparks until the Leafs acquired Calvin Pickard.

After that, he was the Marlies' third goalie for a little bit. Then Vegas's goalies started dropping like flies, and they needed someone to stop pucks for their AHL affiliate after recalling their third, fourth & fifth string goalies to the NHL. So, the Marlies loaned Kaskisuo to the Chicago Wolves of the AHL. And there he posted a somewhat mediocre record for 28 games, until Vegas/Chicago's other goalies came back. Now he finds himself back in the ECHL.

I'd be surprised if this is a player the Leafs don't cut bait on.

Pierre Engvall:

As a 2014 draft pick out of Sweden, Engvall is set to become a UFA this summer if the Leafs don't sign him before then. He's a guy who at times I've thought was at risk of having his rights expire, but his decent season in the SHL and impressive run of success with the Marlies probably tips the scales towards him getting an entry-level contract.

It also helps his case that he's a 6'4", natural left winger.

Vladimir Bobylyov:

The rest of our Russian prospects have their rights held by the Leafs pretty much indefinitely, because of the lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia. But Bobylyov was drafted out of the Western Hockey League, so he'll re-enter the draft this year if the Leafs don't sign him before then.

And I think it's a certainty the Leafs won't sign him, given his unremarkable post-draft performance both in the CHL and in Russia.

Keaton Middleton & Nicolas Mattinen:

In the past couple of drafts, Hunter's taken a bunch of swings at massive defensemen that he probably hoped could evolve into two-way defensemen.

He's had varying degrees of success with some of those picks (Eemeli Rasanen, Andrew Nielsen, Fedor Gordeev), but Middleton & Mattinen are probably headed towards the same scrap-heap Stephen Desrocher got tossed onto last summer. Middleton in particular is just not a guy with a skill level that'll get him to the NHL.

And as for Mattinen, what's most intriguing about him is that he's a 6'5" RHD. But I just don't think he's shown enough to earn a contract.

Nolan Vesey:

It's the end of the line for Jimmy Vesey's little brother, as he's finished his last year of college. So, either the Leafs sign him, or he follows in his brother's footsteps and becomes a UFA on August 15th. And I think you can just about bet your house on the Leafs not signing him.

Nolan isn't half the prospect his brother was, and it's not like Jimmy's tearing up the NHL either.
Great read LeafGM. Thanks a lot.

Yep, great work.

Gotta figure they'll give Engvall a contract. Hard to not take at least a flyer on him.

I watched the Marlies play the Utica Comets last night. My observations? This is a team that if it played in the NHL, would win some games, certainly wouldn't be a .500 team by any stretch of the imagination, but it would compete some nights.

No superstars down there, not even Liljegren. Solid players? Tons of them.

Colin Greening jumps into mind, as a guy who could have been playing against the Bruins. Built like a tank, speedy, decent edges and buried a really nice shot for a goal last night, and can bang with the best of the bangers in the NHL. Real shame he wasn't in the Leafs lineup for the first two games of the series.

Grundstrom and Engvall? Nothing jumps out at me as special, but seem to be aware on the ice and hawking for goals, and guess what? They both got one each. But no death defying skills jump out at me. Just competency and above average smarts.

Bracco? Real smurfy, good passer, but nothing to keep you up at night.

Liljegren? I think he will be a decent NHLer. His skating seems to have slowed down, he doesn't impress in that way any more. He doesn't get any time in tough minutes, he is being used on PP primarily or was last night.

LoVerde was surprisingly solid. I looked at his numbers, he has never had a negative plus minus season. Always gets impressive stats for a dman, pretty well every year, but yet has never played one game in the show. Good shot. I dunno, will have to enquire about this guy, maybe its because he is 5 11. But odd he hasnt been given a shot by someone.

Trevor Moore seemed to have some skills, but again, smallish guy.

Altonen, seemed to move around fairly well, nothing to get excited about.

Gauthier? He seems more mobile but honestly, the guy just doesn't have any jam. If he smoked a guy twice a game, he would be sleeping under Babcock's bed. He should spend a weekend with me, I would get him there.

Spark? Solid, solid as heck, but seemed, to have a real problem getting back to his feet in a certain situation. Definitely his achilles heel and one that would most likely be more exposed in the NHL.

It was a good little hockey game. Not NHL, but they certainly try to ape the big club in almost every regard. So yeah, its probably why guys fit in immediately when they go up.

Its solid enough and congested enough out there, I don't think for example that Marner or Matthews would tear up the league. They would probably be over a PPG, but not the extent some fans would expect.

Bottom line for me? Every guy pretty well on the Marlies could come up and fit right in on our fourth line or bottom pairing and probably not look out of place.

First liners down there and top two D? I don't see any yet.

I read the opposite on Liljgren and the reporters at the game said he was a monster.

Interesting

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

He was no monster last night and he received no important minutes while the game was still tight.

His skating looked markedly less dynamic.

I will say this though, his team is playing very important games. Keefe wants to demonstrate that he can win a league championship, and this kid is probably going through what Morgan Rielly had to go through. Being on a tight leash.

I don't see Jake Gardiner or Travis Dermott talent in him. But that is okay, those two are gods in terms of talent.

Sadly, there is a reason he went so low.

He might require years of seasoning to reach the expectations we all had for him.

And one game of viewing is not sufficient obviously. For example, Grundstrom and Engvall didn't jump out skill wise. Grundstrom seemed to have poor edges. Engvall was a bit tougher than I had heard of, though, which was encouraging.

I was disappointed to see that Borgman was not playing.

Lilypad definitely isn't at the Travis Dermott stage, where he's ready to break down the door to the NHL.

He's still got a bunch more maturing to do, which shouldn't be surprising considering he's just finished playing an entire season in the AHL and he still hasn't celebrated his 19th birthday. Maybe the dynamic quality of his game will start coming out more as he gets older and more experienced, but for now, just being a good defensemen in the AHL & putting up decent offensive numbers is impressive.

I'd also generally agree with teeds' assessment of the guys that are currently on the Marlies. The players who are both NHL-ready and possessed with dynamic talent have mostly been stripped off the Marlie roster and inserted into the Leaf roster already. What's left is some guys who have potential, but still need time (Liljegren & Bracco, for example), some good minor-pro vets (Greening, Mueller, LoVerde), and some tweener prospects who are still trying to show that they have a legitimate chance of being NHL players (Timashov, Aaltonen, Marchment, for example).

And Grundstrom is probably the one prospect they have down there that's pretty close to being NHL ready. But he's never going to come across as a dynamic talent. What he is, is a decent, hard-nosed player who's good along the boards and in puck-battles, and who has an uncanny ability to get the puck across the goal line when the puck gets to him right in front of the net.

I think grundstrom's speed and aggression is pretty dynamic, with nice finish too.

Believe you me, I was greedily looking for that from Grundstrom. I saw little of anything, but hey he got a goal. He didn't look tough, fast or slick.

But its a damn solid team. It will be a lot more solid if they get Johnsson back and Dermott. They will be sick then.

The only way they get those two back is if the leafs get knocked out, and since that isn't happening, guess they wont be going back

None of these guys are really "prospects" anymore, but I figured this is still the best place to put this.

Lamoriello has confirmed that Johnsson & Dermott will immediately re-join the Marlies for their playoff run.

Kapanen, on the other hand, will join Team Finland at the World Championships.

I like the move. Having played in the AHL for parts of two years, and having played 45 games in the NHL this year, I'm not sure how much more Kapanen would stand to benefit from another stint in the AHL with the Marlies. The Marlies are also overloaded at forward, so finding another place to send Kapanen allows them to keep a Bracco, Marchment or Engvall in the lineup.

I don't know.

Kapanen would probably be their best player. Would've been nice for him, even just for the bonding experience, to win it all with Johnsson and Dermott.

Back