• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Its a straw man. The argument was never that unless a team drafts the best player selected between pick X and 210 then it is a bad pick.

Just that Gauthier was a bad pick. 6 of the 8 players picked immediately after him have been significantly better players. If you want a chance at pulling that best player you should be picking skill over size. Gauthier never had a shot.

[video=youtube;cZoOZoPz2hA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZoOZoPz2hA[/video]

Nylander is quickly developing some of the best hockey hair in the business.

Heh. Not that you can read anything into these videos, but he seems to be fitting in with his teammates pretty well, doesn't seem like any kind of prima donna (despite the hair)

Found this good highlight vid focused on on one game Soshnikov played a few months ago, looks like he as some skill. Likes to drive the net.

[video=youtube;q74H632aKH4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q74H632aKH4&t=80[/video]

It would be so nice if we could get lucky with one of these pickups. Please no more Wallin or Kontiola.

All these NCAA or KHL signings can't hurt. You've got nothing to lose, really.

However I also wouldn't put too much hopes into these signings ... Bozak is as good as it gets iMO, and the fact we got a very useful player for nothing is great. But Bozak is not really a top 6 player, and that shouldn't be a surprise. Also, for every Bozak, there's a whole bunch of Christian Hanson's and Monster and Rynnas ...

Well Bozak isn't as good as it gets. There are guys like Tyler Johnson. They are few and far between though.

I think Johnson and Kunitz are the high end of undrafted NCAA UFAs. I'm just hoping he can become a serviceable 2nd/3rd liner.

Well Bozak isn't as good as it gets. There are guys like Tyler Johnson. They are few and far between though.

Martin St Louis says hi, but yea very few NCAA signings turn out to be much of anything, still though worth a shot.

Alright ... Bozak is ABOUT as good as it gets - happy now? :)

It sure doesn't hurt, and I sure hope Bailey is an NHLer (never mind a marginal top 6 which Bozak is) but I definitely wouldn't be betting on that.

At the end of the day, these are like bonus draft picks.

Bozak, had he been drafted, in retrospect was for sure somewhere in the first round.

Bailey, from the looks of things, I don't think so. But I'll take it and see what happens.

It's the beauty of no downside.

I liked bailey a lot. #1 free agent forward on my list. He shoots the puck a lot and plays a game that looks like it would lead to excellent possession numbers (if those were kept in the ncaa wed know better) but he passes the eye test.

I see him as having second line upside... though third line is more likely.

I do think he needs ahl time first though.

I think the comparable is someone like J.T. Brown

Hopefully Bailey doesn't need too much AHL time.

At 23 years old (and turning 24 at the start of next season), he's pretty much at the "what you see is what you get" stage of his career.

I liked bailey a lot. #1 free agent forward on my list. He shoots the puck a lot and plays a game that looks like it would lead to excellent possession numbers (if those were kept in the ncaa wed know better) but he passes the eye test.

I see him as having second line upside... though third line is more likely.

I do think he needs ahl time first though.

I think the comparable is someone like J.T. Brown

Possession numbers are tracked on a team level and apparently Penn St. is an elite possession club. Penn St fans claim him to be a possession beast at that level as well, a major driver in their ability to dictate puck possession.

Hopefully Bailey doesn't need too much AHL time.

At 23 years old (and turning 24 at the start of next season), he's pretty much at the "what you see is what you get" stage of his career.
I know you mean next season, but we'll get a look at Bailey this weekend. He's playing out his first 'year' this season with the Leafs

He only has to play one game to play out that season... but no harm keeping him around

Back