• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Dermott and Kapanen selected as first team all stars

Last edited:

I was exceptionally impressed by Dermott. I guess Babcock likes his rookies to be overbaked before they get a shot at the bigs. My take on Babcock, is that he might overthink things too much. I definitely think he doesn't want anyone, from his players, to opponents, to know what is going on in his medium and long term plans. Because I sure am puzzled by some of the things he is doing this year.

My two biggest head scratchers are Dermott and Kapanen. Both skate beautifully, and both can really play. I think our team speed has dropped off this year, and by injecting these two guys into the lineup, imo, would get us back to the speed of last year.

Just my take.

I don't disagree with your points, but I think the reason our team speed has dropped is not because our guys can't skate, or we're not skating hard enough ... i think the reason is we're carrying the puck too much (especially Gardiner, who plays the most ES minutes on most nights) and not making passes in transitional hockey (especially for zone exit and zone entry)

Except for Rielly and Freddy, it seems like everyone is having an off year. I don't know what to make of that. Rielly has just been marvelous, makes the games watchable in a lot of cases.

He hasn't been quite as dominant this year imo. But he seems like he has gotten nicely banged up. That hit by Morgan was pretty nasty. Tough luck.

I would argue that he started the season at a level that exceeded his performance last year. Then he was slowed by his first injury, and didn't look quite himself on his return. Then, post-concussion symptoms, he has been getting back to the level we saw to start the season. Pretty sure the metrics would back that up too.

Or, in other words, when he is healthy, he has been dominant, in ways he was not last season.

Barkov apparently said he felt that Matthews was the best player in the league now. Amazing, coming from a truly amazing player himself.

Barkov apparently said he felt that Matthews was the best player in the league now. Amazing, coming from a truly amazing player himself.
Volc posted that in the Matthews thread a few weeks ago. Pretty nice compliment.

https://youtu.be/wYmCV2RLLEQ I love this kids personality. Just totally jacked to be part of the Maple Leafs organization. Has anyone seen this guy with his shirt off? Its the 2018 version of Tim Horton here imo. I think this kid has a huge upside, and with this type of attitude, the sky is the limit for him. He is being cooked at a low temperature to get ready for the rigours of being a player in the center of the universe of hockey.

Leafs are being run by guys that know the pressures of being in Toronto's unique environment.

But it was ole Burkie, that probably was instrumental in bringing the Marlies to Toronto. A move that is such an edge, in a cap world.

Leafs are paying lots of AHLers, NHL salaries, and the player is living in the same city that he could at any moment be called up to play for.

Kapanen is making some nice money, real nice, and is living in the city, that he could very well be playing for later this year, same for Dermott.

Big advantage.

Last edited:

Lol!! Haven't seen them actually. On spec I would say they probably match the rest of his physique. The way he skates, I imagine they are perfectly proportioned. This is Hunter's best pick overall imo, in terms of having to really pick a diamond out of a pick less than number 17.

In Lilly and Dermott, we have some really nice talent coming up. And Dermott is a tough bugger, he ain't soft and neither is Lilly.

U put a slap shot and a mean streak into Rielly, and you have Bobby Orr btw. But being mean is something that is either there or it isn't I guess.

Burke actually didn't have anything to do with Toronto's AHL affiliate relocating from Newfoundland to Toronto.

The Marlies' inaugural season was back in 2005/06, which was about three years before Burke came to Toronto.

So, that's a rare excellent decision that we can credit to the John Ferguson Jr regime.

Guess there is a lesson to that. Each regime, obviously have some insights. Moving the Marlies to Toronto was a great move.

Pronman's top 50

13. Timothy Liljegren, D, Toronto

Drafted: First round, 17th overall in 2017

2017-18 team: Toronto Marlies

After a disastrous 2016-17 season, first contracting mono and then performing poorly internationally, Liljegren has rebounded well in 2017-18. He’s played well for the Marlies in the AHL, and he was solid at the world juniors. Is he all the way back to being considered an elite talent like he was two years ago? I’m not there yet. I have concerns regarding his defense/turnovers, but they’re much more minor than I thought going into the draft. I see a highly creative defenseman with great offensive instincts, shifty feet and someone who makes unique plays around the puck due to how well he thinks the game offensively. His defense has shown enough improvement, as well, to where I think he’ll be able to handle himself at even strength at the top level.

15. Kasperi Kapanen, RW, Toronto

Drafted: First round, 22nd overall in 2014 by Pittsburgh

There is a lot to like about Kapanen. When you see him play, his high-level ability stands out immediately. He’s a fantastic skater who can play a skill game and push the pace at even strength. He can dominate a shift and be a difference maker in a game with his playmaking. He’s right on the cusp of being a regular due to a logjam on the wing in Toronto. He has made significant improvements to his defensive game. Just getting him to be a tad more consistent and stronger in battles off the puck will likely push him over the edge into being a good NHL player.

49. Jeremy Bracco, RW, Toronto

Drafted: Second round, 61st overall in 2015

Bracco started the season with a focus on his off-ice conditioning and strength, and as a result, he didn't play a ton to start his first pro season. With notable progress in that area in the past month or so though since he’s been getting regular playing time, he’s looked very impressive. His brain stands out, as he’s a fantastic playmaker, and with his unique skating stride, he also stands out whenever he’s near the puck. Bracco needs to continue to be better off the puck and get stronger, and I’d like to see him score a bit more, but I really like his upside.

Back