• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

In fairness, we were a playoff team that almost knocked off a beast in the East while he was here. Things had gone up in a meaningful way.

As soon as they got rid of him, Nonis brought in Bernier, made a few moves without improving the team really, kept Carlyle, and it went to shit.

This is still Burke's team. These are his core players. These are his draft picks. 7-8 years later is when you get the full view of a GM's plan. The guys who took over when he was fired were the guys that he hired.

It was a full on, unarguable, failure. One of the worst organizations in the league.

Last edited:

He was in power for what, three or four seasons?

I don't think it's fair to fully judge a guy's performance when he only had a short period of time to turn things around and was fired just as the team started to enjoy success.

This may be his core, but it's not his goalie or his supporting cast, and who knows what might've happened had he had a chance to make a few more rip off deals.

He was here for five full seasons, plus an offseason. He was fired just before the 6th season started. He was here a long time. The team was no better last year than it was when he got here.

The only reason this wasn't his supporting cast is because his drafting stunk and didn't produce a single player outside of the top 10. If he had drafted anything that would be the supporting cast 8 years later. But they have continually had to go to the UFA market for their depth. It Burke's plan the supporting cast was going to be Biggs, Blacker, Ryan, D'Amigo, Devane, Broll, Ross etc.

And again, after he was fired it was his guys who took over and further sank the team. Nonis/Poulin/Louiselle being here is on Burke. He elected to hire a bunch of his yes men buddies instead of a real front office.

Who know how long it will take Shanny to get out of the mess Burke left here. But he made a good trade for JVR so its fine.

Last edited:

Cody Donaghey was officially traded to Halifax this morning.

He was the "future considerations" in the deadline deal sending Fucale & Murphy to Quebec.

I'd completely forgotten that we signed Cody Donaghey. I guess it was a tough season injury-wise; he tore his ACL & MCL when he got nailed with a knee-on-knee hit fairly early in the season. But he did at least put up good numbers in the games he did play (15 pts in 27 games). I guess since he just turned 19 last month, he'll be back in junior for another season.

Here's a little article on Donaghey's year, for anyone who's interested.

Looks like, his new entry-level deal aside, Andreas Johnson will be spending another year in Sweden:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 33m33 minutes ago
Leafs prospect Andreas Johnson will play another year in Sweden. Expect him in Toronto (Leafs or Marlies) in 2016-17 though.

Would have been nice to have him over in North America playing on a line with Nylander in the AHL, but I suppose another year in the SHL won't hurt. His team over there is good at least; Frolunda finished second in the SHL standings, as opposed to Nylander's former team MODO, who finished dead last.

In fairness, we were a playoff team that almost knocked off a beast in the East while he was here. Things had gone up in a meaningful way.

As soon as they got rid of him, Nonis brought in Bernier, made a few moves without improving the team really, kept Carlyle, and it went to shit.

The problem I feel is this team was mis-evaluated... they made the playoffs in a shortened season and even then they hit the skids before game 48, had it been a full season who knows if they even made the dance.

So, in light of everything has happened the last few days, what's your top 10?

1) Marner
2) Nylander
3) Kapanen
4) Brown
5) Timashov
6) Bracco
7) Dermott
8) Valiev
9) Johnson
10) Hyman

Shit...our 11-15 doesn't look bad either

11) Bibeau
12) Verhaege
13) Korostelev
14) Loov
15) Percy

I seriously can't remember our cupboards ever being this stocked...

Found out that hyman played in my (and leafmans) summer League last year...

So, in light of everything has happened the last few days, what's your top 10?

1) Marner
2) Nylander
3) Kapanen
4) Brown
5) Timashov
6) Bracco
7) Dermott
8) Valiev
9) Johnson
10) Hyman

Shit...our 11-15 doesn't look bad either

11) Bibeau
12) Verhaege
13) Korostelev
14) Loov
15) Percy

I think I have Bracco ahead of Timashov but I get the argument. Nice list. I posted yesterday someone updated Prospect Pool Rankings for the NHL and had us 9th now. And then we added Kapanen. Like where we're headed.

Two first rounders / 5 picks in the top 100 next year.

Also I think Percy and loov are 11-12 and probably also above the 7-10 guys. Verhaege imo isn't a real prospect either. Bibeaus also borderline.

I'd consider sticking Korostelev in the top 10.

Over who though? He's super, super boom or bust by the sounds of things. I think that projectability has to be considered when making a list like these.

Probably Hyman. Hyman will be an NHLer, but a 3rd liner at best IMO. Think Korostelev has a higher ceiling.

I think I have Bracco ahead of Timashov but I get the argument.

Kind of the same guy to me, just one did it in the CHL which I tend to put a lot more weight behind, than seeing good production for the USNDP

Nice list. I posted yesterday someone updated Prospect Pool Rankings for the NHL and had us 9th now. And then we added Kapanen. Like where we're headed.

Two first rounders / 5 picks in the top 100 next year.

I would really like to see the argument for 8 teams being ahead of us.....

Kind of the same guy to me, just one did it in the CHL which I tend to put a lot more weight behind, than seeing good production for the USNDP

I would really like to see the argument for 8 teams being ahead of us.....

Figured it was something like that - fair.

Also I think Percy and loov are 11-12 and probably also above the 7-10 guys. Verhaege imo isn't a real prospect either. Bibeaus also borderline.

Carter's production and skating are too good to not being considered a real prospect. We'll see what he does in the AHL and if his tools carry over to pro, but he's definitely a legitimate prospect. We've seen Percy's transition to the AHL and what offensive ability we hoped he would have, didn't seem to come with him from the OHL...we're probably looking at a 4-5 defender who lacks size. Loov I see the argument for being higher though.

Bibeau borderline? How many 20 yr olds post .910+ in the AHL? Same age as Vasilevski, & posted a similar SV%. 2 years younger than Pickard, similar SV%. 2 years younger than Mazanec, much better SV%. All guys who are considered very legitimate goaltending prospects.

Back