• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

This quote from MacTavish when he first took over as Oilers GM in the summer of 2013 comes to mind:

Thus far, in the two years since, he either hasn't worked up the courage to trade one of the Oilers' big young pieces, or he's simply not being offered the kind of return he'd want for them. So, if their top-5 pick this year isn't Connor McDavid, and with the team still having made no progress since he made that statement...what better opportunity than now to use the pick to do a "bold thing", and "move the team forward in a rapid fashion"?

The Leafs better be burning up the Oilers' phone lines between April and June to try to pry that pick away.

We have a 1D potentially, we have a goalie supposedly, but we lack the 1C.

Regardless of opinions in a vacuum on whether C over W, or C over D, in terms of our specific team need, we NEED a 1C in a bad way.

And normally, you don't get a Strome at 4th or Marner at 5th. You get them at 1st. And we can't just expect to finish first in any year.

This is the year to get that 1C, and I'm so anxious for the draft to come and go with one of the three centers in the bag so I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Will you have a meltdown if we pick Hannifin?

I'd be disappointed for a second and then i would realize that we just drafted Noah Hanifin.

We need everything. The only way that i would be pissed is if we passed on Strome and Marner and reached on another guy like Werenski at 5.

Will you have a meltdown if we pick Hannifin?

I'll be extremely, extremely disappointed.

If anything cools my interest off in the Leafs after this shitshow, it would be taking an American playing in the NCAA over one of the three stud GTA centers.

I still have no idea how a 'fan' could be upset if the Leafs end up with Hanifin. It's insanity or stupidity.

Rielly and Hanifin would be an exceedingly sexy 1-2 going forward. Hanifin skates like Rielly, but at 6'2 200+ pounds.

Hanifin is like Ekblad. Just incredibly well rounded for his age, to the point that he was fast tracked through the development system, like very few others are.

Not only does he have the size, but he has the IQ/maturity to not only be a talented defenseman, but dominant defensively as a 17 year old. He has Norris potential.

I'll be extremely, extremely disappointed.

If anything cools my interest off in the Leafs after this shitshow, it would be taking an American playing in the NCAA over one of the three stud GTA centers.

So if he was born in Scarborough you would be ok with it?

Nope. Still want the 1C above all. That they're from Toronto only makes it sweeter.

I'm with you on this... if it comes down to choosing between a 1C and 1D then I feel they should draft a guy like Strome... now if they go with a 1D I won't be livid about it either.

Freddy Gauthier was awarded the QMJHL's Best Defensive Forward Award last night. Had 2 assists in the win for the Oceanic.

Camoranesi scored and Toninato had an assist in Minnesota-Duluth's East Regional Semi-Final win over Minnesota last night...they'll play Jack Eichel's Boston University tonight.

Here is what I would not like to happen. If they feel that Hanifin is only slightly better than Strome on a bpa scale, I don't think we should go with Hanifin if we have the choice.

Reason being, is that unless we are drafting one next year, you will inevitably over pay to get the #1 C you need.

Now, if Hanifin is marginally better than Strome on a bpa scale, its a no brainer. Hanifin.

Hanifin's Boston College is playing Denver right now on TSN 2 chance for guys who have never seen him to get a look.

Here is what I would not like to happen. If they feel that Hanifin is only slightly better than Strome on a bpa scale, I don't think we should go with Hanifin if we have the choice.

Reason being, is that unless we are drafting one next year, you will inevitably over pay to get the #1 C you need.

Now, if Hanifin is marginally better than Strome on a bpa scale, its a no brainer. Hanifin.

I don't think you know what marginally means.

Meant to say considerably. Thanks for pointing that out, hope that made your day better.

What happens if they draft Strome and over pay in the future for that #1 D ?

We have no idea who we're drafting or what place we will be drafting. So this is pointless.

We need both a Strome and a Hanifin.

Really this all comes down to personal preference. If the leafs get one of Marner, Strome or Hanifin we're a much better team.

Last edited:

My point is simple.

If you feel that Hanifin = Strome/Marner. You take Strome or Marner.

Rielly will be a #1 D.

The market value for a #1 C is higher than a #1 D, so i'm not sure why my comment was pointless

You take what you believe to be the best and most talented available player at your pick regardless of position. Nothing else makes any sense.

Not doing this has never benefitted the Leafs that I can see....in fact that has led to decisions like picking Luke Richardson over Joe Sakic, for instance.

Back