• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Great to see Ian Scott off to a blistering hot start. We really need one of these goalies recently drafted to become an NHL starter.

thanks for taking the time to do this LGM, definitely appreciate being able to see all that info in one place.

and my oh my has our minor league depth taken some hits in the past couple years. of course, the big club is reaping the rewards of that, but the pipeline has certainly taken a hit.

Yeah, the pipeline certainly isn't what it used to be. Though it's at least a bit better this year---it was hard working up any interest at all in doing these prospect updates last year, with so many of the low-talent guys Hunter picked in his last couple of drafts filling up the ranks. This year, there's a few more guys I'm interested in.

And yeah, Ian Scott is the one standout from this update. Pretty much every single other non-AHL prospect has been a disappointment otherwise; particularly our other goalie prospects. Woll, Kaskisuo & Bouthillier all have cartoonishly awful numbers to start their seasons, and Scott's the polar opposite.

Also a note---I made a bunch of errors in the NCAA section of this update, and I'll have to wait until I'm home to fix them. Woll's numbers are mostly right, but he of course does not have two shutouts on the year. The stats listed for Dakota Joshua & Ryan O'Connell are also last year's stats. Their actual stats this year are:

Dakota Joshua: GP 2, G 1, A 0, Pts 1
Ryan O'Connell: GP 2, G 0, A 0, Pts 0

hey leafgm how are you posting that spreadsheet?
In an extremely unsophisticated way---I literally just take screen shots of the spreadsheet, upload them to Imgur and then post the images here.

A few injury updates on our prospects, per Sheldon Keefe:

Regarding Marlies goalie Kasimir Kaskisuo, who's our third-string goalie in the wake of Pickard & McElhinney's departures: it's a "significant" injury, and he'll be out "long-term".

Rasmus Sandin is still recovering from an injury (no specifics given), and still working with the Marlies staff. No decision has been made still on where he's playing once healthy either.

Mason Marchment, who suffered a hand injury in the rookie tournament, returned to practice yesterday and appears to be getting close.

I'm guessing that they are waiting on the possibility of reclaiming one of Pickard/McBackup before signing another goalie. But if another team picks them up before us, we'll have no choice but to sign a veteran AHL goalie at the very least.

I'm guessing that they are waiting on the possibility of reclaiming one of Pickard/McBackup before signing another goalie. But if another team picks them up before us, we'll have no choice but to sign a veteran AHL goalie at the very least.
I'm not even sure if that's the case.

Even if we successfully claimed one of Pickard/McBackup, we wouldn't be able to send them to the Marlies, unless we were the only team in the NHL to put in a claim on them.

They also might not be going anywhere anytime soon either. They don't have the greatest peripheral numbers, but McBackup & Pickard are a combined 5-0 with their new teams so far.

I mean we don't want kaskisuo starting for us anyways.

career .913sv% in the AHL (42gms).

career .898sv% in the ECHL (34gms).

25yrs old

I'm not even sure if that's the case.

Even if we successfully claimed one of Pickard/McBackup, we wouldn't be able to send them to the Marlies, unless we were the only team in the NHL to put in a claim on them.

They also might not be going anywhere anytime soon either. They don't have the greatest peripheral numbers, but McBackup & Pickard are a combined 5-0 with their new teams so far.

If we managed to claim them, it would mean that not a single other team was willing to give them an NHL job. So they would almost automatically be sent down, no. Why would a team refuse to claim them from Carolina/Philly, but put a claim in once we waived them for reassignment?

I mean we don't want kaskisuo starting for us anyways.

career .913sv% in the AHL (42gms).

career .898sv% in the ECHL (34gms).

25yrs old
Yeah, he's been pretty awful as a professional goalie.

And I always had a tough time figuring out what they saw in the guy in the first place. His numbers in US College weren't exactly eye-popping either.

This was probably his one chance to get a run of games as the Marlies' unquestioned starter too, and now it's blown away like a fart in the wind.

Back