• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Deadpool is a fascinating character in that he was created by one of the biggest hacks in the comic book industry, (Rob Liefeld)....was an admitted Deathstroke rip off, with a dash of Wolverine & Punisher thrown in, and a sprinkle of Spider-man' quick wit....and while having some decent books later written by Joe Kelley.....he has really always been a fairly surface level character without much depth, or very much high level writing having been done with his character.

Unlike a Batman, Superman, Wolverine, Daredevil, Captain America, etc etc all of whom have had incredibly well told, flushed out, all-time great stories done with them, by some of the best writers out there (Grant Morison, Frank Miller, Ed Bruckner, Chris Claremont, etc).....Deadpool has never had that quintessential great story written, that is dying to be adapted/culled from.

Yet, because he spoke like Spider-man and did things like break the fourth wall....he just blew up as a popular character as young boys loved the melange of characters be was derived from and didn't care much about the lact of depth in the character himself as long as he was jokey enough......which kind of reminded me of how I was into The Punisher as a kid, despite him being a really poorly written character, that wasn't much beyond a uber-violent vigilante. (for a teenager boy, you don't need much beyond that).

As such Marvel did what they do when a character hits a certain level of mass appeal, they drenched the market with him, having Deadpool appear in a ton of cross-overs, show up virtually everywhere drop a smart ass line or two....then disappear. Worked great as his name sold a f*ckton of books......but still, nothing of any real substance or quality was written with him in it. They just kinda made a big cash-grab off his name recognition for a little while.

Which is kinda what's interesting about them making a movie.....cause I have no clue what kind of source material they're gonna pull from. There is no Batman: Year One to pull from to make Batman Begins....for instance. There simply isn't any great Deadpool stories.

I could see this having a similar fate to the Punisher films where despite being a 'cool' dark character that teenage boys love because of his violence and quick wit...the lack of source material makes it a tough uphill battle for them to make a quality film out of...

...that said, if they can get a quality set of writers to make a good story arc, they wont be bogged down by decades and decades of cannon, so it might free them up a bit....and if they can get the right comedy-writers on board to punch up the script (maybe Brian Posehn & Patton Oswald?....both huge comic book nerds, and BS has actually written Deadpool arcs in the past), they may be able to pull off an entertaining summer blockbuster.

Deadpool is a fascinating character in that he was created by one of the biggest hacks in the comic book industry, (Rob Liefeld)....was an admitted Deathstroke rip off, with a dash of Wolverine & Punisher thrown in, and a sprinkle of Spider-man' quick wit....and while having some decent books later written by Joe Kelley.....he has really always been a fairly surface level character without much depth, or very much high level writing having been done with his character.

Unlike a Batman, Superman, Wolverine, Daredevil, Captain America, etc etc all of whom have had incredibly well told, flushed out, all-time great stories done with them, by some of the best writers out there (Grant Morison, Frank Miller, Ed Bruckner, Chris Claremont, etc).....Deadpool has never had that quintessential great story written, that is dying to be adapted/culled from.

Yet, because he spoke like Spider-man and did things like break the fourth wall....he just blew up as a popular character as young boys loved the melange of characters be was derived from and didn't care much about the lact of depth in the character himself as long as he was jokey enough......which kind of reminded me of how I was into The Punisher as a kid, despite him being a really poorly written character, that wasn't much beyond a uber-violent vigilante. (for a teenager boy, you don't need much beyond that).

As such Marvel did what they do when a character hits a certain level of mass appeal, they drenched the market with him, having Deadpool appear in a ton of cross-overs, show up virtually everywhere drop a smart ass line or two....then disappear. Worked great as his name sold a f*ckton of books......but still, nothing of any real substance or quality was written with him in it. They just kinda made a big cash-grab off his name recognition for a little while.

Which is kinda what's interesting about them making a movie.....cause I have no clue what kind of source material they're gonna pull from. There is no Batman: Year One to pull from to make Batman Begins....for instance. There simply isn't any great Deadpool stories.

I could see this having a similar fate to the Punisher films where despite being a 'cool' dark character that teenage boys love because of his violence and quick wit...the lack of source material makes it a tough uphill battle for them to make a quality film out of...

...that said, if they can get a quality set of writers to make a good story arc, they wont be bogged down by decades and decades of cannon, so it might free them up a bit....and if they can get the right comedy-writers on board to punch up the script (maybe Brian Posehn & Patton Oswald?....both huge comic book nerds, and BS has actually written Deadpool arcs in the past), they may be able to pull off an entertaining summer blockbuster.

I think the big failing in a stand alone Punisher flick is that the character himself is pretty much impossible to capture the essence of without tremendous amounts of violence, which can get...well..cartoony if it's not done right. There's really no charisma to Frank Castle, he is what he is, a vigilante fighting a one man war. As a monkey wrench thrown into a decent Daredevil or Spiderman story, I can see him being alright, but as a stand alone I don't see it and never really did. Deadpool though, at the absolute least has enough comedy thrown into the killing for an entertaining movie even if it's not a good "film"

It's funny, much of what you just said about Frank is basically how I feel about Deadpool....great secondary piece to make a cameo with here or there, but too shallow a character and too poorly written thus far to make anything truly meaningful with.

That said, I definitely agree Deadpools humour gives him the potential upside to make a entertaining popcorn movie around, even if the material isn't there to necessarily tell a great story.

Oddly enough, The Punisher actually does have great source material to draw from now if anyone wanted to make a flick/Netflix series from it.....Garth Ennis (of 'Preacher' fame).....did a ton of really great Punisher stuff via Marvel's "MAX" imprint. Shit was incredibly well done, and had a fairly long and significant run with some great story arcs.

2926603-pun2.jpg

If they don't cast Ryan Reynolds, I'm going to bomb someone.

Dude is perfect for the role.

:facepalm

It looks like you are going to get your wish. Box office poison starring in a second-rate rip off Spider-man and it has a Feb 2016 release date. Not too much faith from Marvel here.

I agree. Perfect casting.

How is this perfect? The guy is a bomb to the box office. This only hurts the potential. Deadpool could be a great franchise...give it a solid R rating and find someone that can draw people in....don't cast a guy that is a laughingstock. I hope Fox goes full tilt here to make a gritty R flick.

edit: Actually, I just watched a few minutes of Van Wilder...you guys are right. He played Deadpool in every movie he's been in.

Last edited:
Actually, I guess there is likely zero chance it's R-rated....an R-rated cut for home release would be ideal.

I wish a smaller studio had grabbed this..someone with a bit of an edge. Deadpool needs boobs and bad language.

How is this perfect? The guy is a bomb to the box office. This only hurts the potential. Deadpool could be a great franchise...give it a solid R rating and find someone that can draw people in....don't cast a guy that is a laughingstock. I hope Fox goes full tilt here to make a gritty R flick.

edit: Actually, I just watched a few minutes of Van Wilder...you guys are right. He played Deadpool in every movie he's been in.
Exactly. If you're looking for some serious heartfelt acting then Reynolds probably isn't your guy. If you're looking for a cocky, sarcastic guy with good comedic timing, then he's definitely your guy.

I am not talking about commercial success... I'm just talking about casting for the role itself. There are a shitload of other factors that go into that.

I think that as much as Reynold may not be a massive box office draw per se... he's also not really a guy that keeps people away either.

And maybe it's cause I liked Van Wilder and Waiting so much but I actually like Ryan Reynolds a fair bit. Plus it always feels a bit more believable when a super hero is actually ripped.

Back