• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

which movies?

I'm a massive mark for the MCU, haven't hated the DCU as much as most, even the Fox Marvel flicks (Deadpool was great, Logan was outstanding), always a sucker for a decent spy flick (Man from Uncle being the recentish example that jumps out at me, obviously the Bond series as well, Bourne, etc), the new Star Wars releases, always down for a period war flick (Dunkirk recently), always a mark for heist flicks (baby driver was solid as hell), usually a mark for solid sci fi (the new bladerunner was quality). Hong Kong keeps turning out solid Kung Fu flicks (the IP Man trilogy was dope). Documentaries are getting more visually stunning as we go along as well, and in general continue to churn out good serious content when you're in the mood for not staring at another iteration of Planet Earth.

I could go further back into the "alast 10 year" time frame that was discussed as the golden era for TV and a movie wasteland but I find the conversation to be a bit hipstery. The modern TV revolution/renaissance seems to have stared with 24 by most accounts (it was definitely the show that made it cool for a big name celebrity to attach their name to a TV show, which was career poison before), which I found to be hilariously obvious trash. I poke my nose in now and again when something highly rated comes out and aside from a few outliers (GoT, Narcos, etc) I find most of it to be poorly paced, uninteresting trash.

Yeah, up until 10-15 years ago, TV shows would rarely opt for the long arcs. But then you got shows like 24 come out and really have success with essentially 10-12 episodes on the same storyline, and since then, it's exploded even more. And with the rise of streaming services, TV shows aren't expected to run for a full 22-24 episode per season commitment, which going along with not needing every episode to be exactly 42 minutes long, truly has revolutionized TV.

I mean, in many ways, the larger TV series are essentially 8-15 hour movies right now. And that's great, because it gives them enough time to tell the story they want to tell, without cutting out stuff that they have to to keep a movie to the 2-hour timeframe, but while also not needing the fluff to pump up the series to the 24-episode season. I definitely find myself more willing to sit down and watch 2-3 episodes of a series than to want to watch anything but the best movies out there.

As for other shows, I finally got started on watching The Expanse, and enjoyed it a lot. They're sticking pretty close to the books, too, which is nice to see.

24 really did change tv. What an amazing show it was.

Oh I still probably see 3 movies a month at the theater.

Marvel movies are basically just TV shows now. I still watch them I cannot really remember what happens in what movie...what is avengers, what is a solo movie, etc.

Star Wars is fun.

But I mostly enjoy those "oscar" type of movies.

I am especially bad when it comes to bio pics. Love them.

There are still some solid comedies. Went to Game Night a couple weekends ago. It was fun, some really good laughs. I'm a sucker for Jason Bateman though.

The MCU movies are fun - but they really just need to name them honestly.

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 2.5 (The Avengers)
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 4 (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
Iron Man 4.5 (Captain America: Civil War)
Iron Man 5 (Spider-man Homecoming)
Iron Man 6 (Avengers: Infinity War Part 1)

Yeah, I just don't find Kinneman terribly commanding on the screen. Honestly enjoyed the other Kovacs plot with Will Yun Lee.

The MCU movies are fun - but they really just need to name them honestly.

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 2.5 (The Avengers)
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 4 (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
Iron Man 4.5 (Captain America: Civil War)
Iron Man 5 (Spider-man Homecoming)
Iron Man 6 (Avengers: Infinity War Part 1)

giphy.gif

RDJ >>> The Haters

I'd say The Wire & The Sopranos changed peak television exponentially more than "24" did.....they brought a prestige to television that showed writers/directors that television could be a higher form of art than it had been previously. 24 just kind of upped the game for trashy network shows, while still being in that vein. (Imo)

As for TV vs Movies....there's greater art being produced in either medium now than ever before, it's just a matter of what you choose to consume. If you're only watching movies that get released in theatre, then you're likely to have a bit of a distorted view of the calibre of films being made (and feel over saturated with Superhero/Star Wars/sequels)....but even then, with the slightest bit of effort there's piles of great, challenging stuff available to see in theatres.

I haven't really found any prestige television that's blown my doors off of late, not since maybe Fargo season 2.......plenty of stuff dressed up like peak TV that follow the same blueprint, but fall short of the real deal (Ozark, Narcos, etc etc...that while being plenty entertaining, aren't really close to the calibre of Sopranos/Wire/Breaking Bad/Mad Men etc).

Fact is tho, there's just more of everything....good & bad....just need a better filter than ever before to sift through it all to seperate the great from the good, and the good from the trash.

Last edited:
....and as big as a comic book fan as I am, I'm kind of surprised by how much people eat up the movies while never reading any of the (often far superior) source material. Outside of maybe Iron Man (with which RDJ instantly exceeded any source material, outside of maybe The Ultimates) I think the source material is almost always demonstrably better.

Frank Miller's Daredevil > Netflix DD.
Brubaker Captain America >= Winter Soldier.
Matt Faction Iron Fist >>>>>>>>>>>>> Netflix IF.
Bendis Jessica Jones >> Netflix.
The Ultimates > The Avengers.
Tom King Vision >>> anything on screen.
Matt Faction Hawkeye >>>>> any on screen.
Grant Morrison All-Star Superman >>>>> Man of Steel.
Millers Dark Knight Returns "infinite >" BvS.
Alan Moore Watchmen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zach Snyder.
Jonathan Hickman Fantastic Four >>>>>>> any FF on screen.

None of which is to shit on the film's....I dig em, and am glad they exist....just surprised with how popular the film's/shows are....how rare it is to run in to someone who goes & reads the source stuff.

Guess 'Game of Thrones' fans probably feel the same way, although I seem to know way more people who have read those.

Fact is tho, there's just more of everything....good & bad....just need a better filter than ever before to sift through it all to seperate the great from the good, and the good from the trash.

+1

And there's even more coming down the pipe as Netflix, Amazon, Disney boost their spending.

I find it mind boggling as it is. I grew up when content was scarce and could easily watch every decent show and movie that came out

....and as big as a comic book fan as I am, I'm kind of surprised by how much people eat up the movies while never reading any of the (often far superior) source material. Outside of maybe Iron Man (with which RDJ instantly exceeded any source material, outside of maybe The Ultimates) I think the source material is almost always demonstrably better.

Frank Miller's Daredevil > Netflix DD.
Brubaker Captain America >= Winter Soldier.
Matt Faction Iron Fist >>>>>>>>>>>>> Netflix IF.
Bendis Jessica Jones >> Netflix.
The Ultimates > The Avengers.
Tom King Vision >>> anything on screen.
Matt Faction Hawkeye >>>>> any on screen.
Grant Morrison All-Star Superman >>>>> Man of Steel.
Millers Dark Knight Returns "infinite >" BvS.
Alan Moore Watchmen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zach Snyder.
Jonathan Hickman Fantastic Four >>>>>>> any FF on screen.

None of which is to shit on the film's....I dig em, and am glad they exist....just surprised with how popular the film's/shows are....how rare it is to run in to someone who goes & reads the source stuff.

Guess 'Game of Thrones' fans probably feel the same way, although I seem to know way more people who have read those.

I grew up as a comic book kid and have read a bunch of the core storylines that a lot of the MCU and DCU stuff has been based on and I agree entirely. The issue becomes how much time and money you're going to devote to it...because there are so many ****ing storylines, so many good runs by different writers. I agree though that I'm a bit surprised at how few people even have passing knowledge of the source material (or rather, the source material that inspired certain plot points/devices used in the movies...they seem to pick and choose elements from multiple storylines) given how popular the movies are. Even the buddy I tend to hit up the comic book movies with here in Calgary, a gamer who grew up with all of this stuff usually requires a primer on who certain non sore characters are, etc.

I have all the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, that was the one I remember as the first time someone said, "okay, let's clean this shit up".

I love that Marvel is at least trying to do the comic book thing on-screen.

I wish DC was doing better.

Back