• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

I think I'm the only person in the world who thought that Guardians 1 was unwatchable garbage. No plans to see volume 2.

I did see Jason Bourne over the weekend - surprisingly good. I love action movies and the Bourne movies generally, so I'm predisposed to liking this one, but I am surprised it didn't do that well.

Yeah, I'm a huge mark for just about everything Ritchie makes. Even this wasn't terrible by popcorn standards, but it's not good either. It's brilliantly shot, and the standard Ritchie dialogue is on point (though feels a bit out of place...but **** it, I want Rock n Rolla 2 ffs). The action is solid and the acting is solid enough...the pacing though, jesus...the plot seems to leap from plot point to point without explaining why the next point is important. It's almost like the plan was for the charisma of Hunnam and Guy's style was supposed to carry a 175 million dollar movie. Minimal character development...even Arthur's development is basically "I'm already awesome, I just need to get over this one bit of PTSD to use the power of the sword".

The upshot here though....is that with this flop, he's going to be stuck going back to his old formula for a bit. A new Sherlock, hopefully a new Rock n Rolla, UNCLE sequel, etc. I don't think the studio is going to give him good money to play with on a passion project again for a while.

Apparently they are finally writing the script for a new Sherlock movie with the hopes of shooting it in the fall for release in 2018. RDJ and Jude Lawe both want to do it.

Also, they are also writing a script for Man from U.N.C.L.E. 2 which would hopefully be released in late 2018 or early 2019.

Richie has a live action Aladdin movie sandwiched in the middle which has begun shooting now.

Curious what the 5 spin offs from GoT could be

apparently not Dunk and Egg or Roberts Rebellion

If I had to guess:

- Bran the Builder
- First Men vs Children of the Forest
- The Long Night
- Something to do with Valyria (which is basically Targ family history)
- Something set during the Targ dynasty

The most obvious one would be the Mad King and Robert's Rebellion. But I gotta question how much they want to do another one that takes directly from the books.

I'd think if they wanted to really spark some interest, they'd produce a standalone that they create entirely on their own. Old Valyria would be a great one since, as far as I'm aware, GRRM never really fleshed that out in the books and it's surrounded with mystery. It's basically a blank canvas for a new team to work on, which would be exciting.

Having said that, this would require some risk and originality. HBO is usually game, but they may ultimately prefer the easier approach of just adapting source material again.

Twin Peaks is the only show that matters to me right now. I've basically stopped watching TV, but this I care about.

3e8749ef966d027127ec5ba4fe1b1476.jpg

Aparrently Stanford mathematicians did a whole paper on this to figure out the actual math. I'll post that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The most obvious one would be the Mad King and Robert's Rebellion. But I gotta question how much they want to do another one that takes directly from the books.

I'd think if they wanted to really spark some interest, they'd produce a standalone that they create entirely on their own. Old Valyria would be a great one since, as far as I'm aware, GRRM never really fleshed that out in the books and it's surrounded with mystery. It's basically a blank canvas for a new team to work on, which would be exciting.

Having said that, this would require some risk and originality. HBO is usually game, but they may ultimately prefer the easier approach of just adapting source material again.

Martin said it was NOT Robert's Rebellion.

It seems odd that Roger Ailes apparently died naturally while Chris Cornell committed suicide.

Feel like the causes of death should've been the reverse.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was a lot of fun. Was never a real fan of Marvel comics growing up - but just amazed what they've done with these two movies. Great mix of Action/Comedy - a real throwback.

I think I've asked this before, but what is everyone's setup for tv/internet?

I'm looking to cut the cord on cable. I got roped in with a pretty good deal from Bell - mainly because I love sports, and I get pissed off if I think "hey there's a game/tournament/event on" and I have to spend 30 minutes searching the net for a garbage feed. But they've already jacked up the rates so I think I'll bail.

Seems like alot of people here get by with just internet. What do you use for movies and sports? A few crappy tv channels and shows for the girlfriend would also be helpful. How about non-netflix content like GOT?

I think I've asked this before, but what is everyone's setup for tv/internet?

I'm looking to cut the cord on cable. I got roped in with a pretty good deal from Bell - mainly because I love sports, and I get pissed off if I think "hey there's a game/tournament/event on" and I have to spend 30 minutes searching the net for a garbage feed. But they've already jacked up the rates so I think I'll bail.

Seems like alot of people here get by with just internet. What do you use for movies and sports? A few crappy tv channels and shows for the girlfriend would also be helpful. How about non-netflix content like GOT?

I was thinking about cutting the cord as well. I was thinking of maybe getting an Android box.

Count me in as somebody who would be interested in hearing about other peoples set up.

Personally, I pay for one of the Rogers Ignite packages for a solid internet feed.
I have Netflix to handle the majority of my TV/Movies.
The Rogers internet package comes with a free NHL Gamecenter Live subscription so I can watch any NHL game I want. I pay for an MLB subscription so I can watch any MLB game I want.
I've got a cheap antennae that gets me some basic channels like CBC and CTV with a sometimes HD, sometimes cutting out feed, but I hardly ever use it. But every now and then it comes in handy (I think I watched the Oscars using the over the air feed).
Don't watch GOT (although I know I should). Netflix has enough movies to keep me entertained, although sometimes i get tired of their library. In those cases, I just do something else.

Works well for everything I need from it. Don't have any desire to ever pay for cable again.
(To add, I use a Chromecast to stream it all to my TV, and that works great since I bought the newer chromecast that can run on the 5Ghz channel)

I thought about cutting the cord but I always end up negotiating a good enough package with Rogers so I never did.

I can live with internet package + Rogers' NHL Gamecenter ... I watch baseball only in the playoff so if it ever comes to that (unlikely this year) I'll figure something out by playoff. I don't watch much basketball, and I can get my movies / tv feeds from Netflix and HBO Go ... so if I am to cut the cord that's the route I'd take.

I will say this - having a REAL TV feed + PVR > Gamecenter (or any internet feed). Because of my schedule I almost never watch a game live, I always PVR it and start watching it ~ 1 hr into it. PVR works great for that. I have tried NHL GC but there are a LOT of restrictions when watching game non-live. Plus, video quality wise a real tv feed still looks better than an internet feed even if it comes from NHL GC. I have good internet speed but streaming hockey games I still get lags, or audio sync issues, or "Service not available, please sign in again" now and then.

Back