• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

I dug the first ep.....Travolta stuck out like a sore thumb initially, but I grew to like his performance as the episode went on, in a camp sort of way.

Despite looking very little like him, he does capture the essence of Shapiro in some interesting ways.

Schwimmer was also painful, but spot on painful if that makes any sense....i suspect Robert Kardashian sounded just as bad while calling OJ "Juice"

I think Vance and Paulson are going to be the treats of the series though, as Cochran and Clark respectively.

Schwimmer was also painful, but spot on painful if that makes any sense....i suspect Robert Kardashian sounded just as bad while calling OJ "Juice"

I think Vance and Paulson are going to be the treats of the series though, as Cochran and Clark respectively.

Vance is a great actor in everything he does. Very underrated. Looks great so far.
You forget how much evidence was against OJ in that case. Amazing his lawyers got him off.

I started to enjoy "Concussion" quite a bit in the first half. That said, the film seems so phony and it preaches so much as it goes on. Will Smith is good enough, but there should be no boycott and there's no racism in him not getting an Oscar nomination. He's gotten 2 and deserved it for both (Ali and Pursuit of Happyness).
They really try hard to make this DR seem like a saint. And they try hard to make the people around him the biggest idiots to make him look better(His Pathologist co-worker, oy that's painful to watch). I really believed very little of it.
The entire thing felt like they tried to make him a hero for Will Smith to look better. And the NFL is still as violent as ever. And that money the players got came with the agreement the NFL does not have to admit fault.
And WTF is with that scene where Baldwin gives a guy a shot through his shirt? Or that odd opening scene where Smith is a witness and the Defense attorney is seated asking him questions and Smith is allowed to go off on his theory of what occurred?

Watch League of Denial on the PBS Frontline website. I've linked to the documentary here a couple of times before, but it's a far superior analysis of the NFL concussion epidemic and features an almost-hour long interview with Dr. Omalu.

I'm a bit torn on People v OJ... casting was pretty turrible overall. Marsha, Johnnie and Darden seem to be well cast but the rest of the cast is a train wreck. That said, it's early and I'm sure someone will steal some scenes.

Also, it looks like a pretty good show in spite of the casting.

Funny to hear how much you guys dislike the casting......as just last night I was just listening to TV critics Andy Greenwald & Chris Ryan (RIP Grantland) discuss this series, and both of them were raving about how brilliant the casting was. I tend to agree, but it wouldn't be art, if it wasn't subjective.

Aside from Travolta I can't think of anyone I'd recast personally.....and even with Travolta, no real realistic options immediately come to mind that I'd prefer to see in the role. Once I got over the "Travolta doesn't look like Shapiro" element, I found it to be a really damn interesting performance. I'm kind of glad he's in it, as I'm now looking forward to seeing what else he does with the role as the series progresses.

Goes without saying, but Vance will obviously be the star of the series.....(creators obviously know that too, given they have him in first episode, despite him not joining the defense team for quite a while later in the timeline).....will be good to see him getting some well deserved recognition with this role.

Schwimmer is borderline for me. He wasn't terrible but he definitely wasn't great. Though, it's early yet. Nathan Lane as F Lee Baily? That seems all sorts of bad. And of course Travolta just seems weird.

Selma Blair was probably a good choice for Kris Kardashian.

The Kato character is terrible... but the real life Kato was pretty weird too.

I think Schwimmer has been phenomenal.....I honestly didn't even know he could act that well.

As the surrogate for the audience, I think he's killing it.

I think there is a line between hating a character and hating the performance of the actor of said character.

Schwimmer and whoever that is playing Kato are nailing it IMO

as are Paulson and Vance, who no doubt will be the stars of the series.

Cuba had some cringe stuff, and looks nothing like OJ really, but there was more good than bad, and i can't find another casting that i like more, so, whatever.

Travolta has been campy, and i wasn't keen on it, but Montana is right that it got better toward the end

It surprises me how interested I am in OJ again. I was so sick of the trial. I find myself interested in how the hell he got off with the massive amount of evidence. And of course there's people who weren't old enough to watch it/following it that might want to tune in now.
Kardashian is an interesting guy to portray. He was so loyal to OJ, and carried that infamous bag that no one found again, yet gave an interview after the trial admitting he couldn't see past the blood evidence as a lawyer. And now his legacy are those ****ing kids.

Back