• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

This is why I knew I was out after season one, despite how much I enjoyed it. Without Mendelssohn as an alive character, it just loses what made it worthwhile.

Reminds me a bit of Broad Church, in that it's a phenomenal one off story, that is only hindered by follow up seasons. If yoy just enjoy the first seasons for the brilliant mini-series stories they were, you're best off, imo.

Without giving spoilers, Bloodline thus far is just coming up with new clichéd plot twists to desperately keep the story and suspense going. It's just not the natural flow they had in season 1. They better set something new up or season 3 will be horrible.

I haven't started watching yet... but I was concerned that there was no real good way to go. It really should have been a one season series.

That said, I'm definitely going to watch and hope they can catch lightning in a bottle again.

Review of Bloodline season 2

aka Everyone is in Denial
aka You have to listen to me but i can't tell you why because you wont understand, but, listen to me.

The acting is strong, specifically from Cardinelli, Chandler, Mendelsohn's kid, Spacek and the bit we get out of Mendehlson.

Leguizamo and Bridges represent interesting enough new characters in a story that sometimes feels forced, dragged out, and slow to develop at times, which is amazing when you think about it.

Overall, nowhere near season 1, but solid and enough of a leadup to a season 3 where it's worthwhile

Watched Apocalypse over the weekend, after watching Civil War last Friday .... and I like Apocalypse a lot more. That said, I've always been an X-men fan more than an Avengers fan.

Which is not to say Apocalypse was great ... it was ok. It's the weakest of the 'renewed' X-men series (First class, Days of Future's past). One of the weak link of this new movie is the poor acting skill of the new actors - new Jean Grey (Sophia Turner, grom GoT), new Scott / Cyclops, new Storm ... you really can't invest any emotion or even feelings into their storylines.

I also find the problem with the Apocalypse is they've created this ultra-powerful villain that in the end, they don't know how to defeat him ... and it's pretty cheesy in that final battle. But it is the same problem they had in the comics (more dragged out, but all in all same thing) so I can't blame the movie too much.

I did enjoy it, and find it worthy for 2.5 hours and the ~$30 I paid for me and my wife. It just wasn't as good as the last 2 X-men movies. Which is funny, cause one of the jokes in the movie was they made a comment "The 3rd (in a trilogy) is always the worst" ... and this IS the 3rd movie lol.

I thought the joke was about X-3 which was complete and utter shit....

This movie was okay, but nothing great. I give it a C+.... Civil War was a much better film IMO. And yes, I always liked X-Men more than Captain America as well, i just didn't think this film was strong.

Agreed on the acting....

My other issue (bold for spoilers)

The entire Stryker bit... the whole getting captured, and then having to escape, it did nothing to add to the storyline. Seemed a waste just to add Wolverine to a film he didn't need to be a part of.

I thought the joke was about X-3 which was complete and utter shit....
Yes, that too. I just find it ironic this is also the 3rd movie of the new series and it is also the worst of the 3. I actually really like both First class and Days of future's past. Those are easily 4/5 movies for me.

This movie was okay, but nothing great. I give it a C+.... Civil War was a much better film IMO. And yes, I always liked X-Men more than Captain America as well, i just didn't think this film was strong.
I don't think it is either, but I just find Civil War worse ... and slow. At least Apocalypse is faster.

The entire Stryker bit... the whole getting captured, and then having to escape, it did nothing to add to the storyline. Seemed a waste just to add Wolverine to a film he didn't need to be a part of.
Agreed. I think it is just so that they can say "Wolverine is in this movie" but yes, otherwise an utter waste of time ... except, if you watch the post-credit teaser, then it does serve a purpose, probably to the next (and last) Wolverine movie.

Personally i didnt find civil war dragged at all. I found this did in parts and civil war is a longer film in terms of actual time but i found it moved quicker

Yeah, I thought Civil War moved ahead at a good pace, and was a pretty enjoyable movie.

My only beef with the movie was that the character motivations really didn't make sense at times, and having (spoilers) Tony Stark essentially be the "bad guy" of the movie.

Yeah, I thought Civil War moved ahead at a good pace, and was a pretty enjoyable movie.

My only beef with the movie was that the character motivations really didn't make sense at times, and having (spoilers) Tony Stark essentially be the "bad guy" of the movie.

That's the way it was in the comics. Iron Man was the "bad guy" and was only pushed off his soap box when Captain was killed.

Which is kinda odd, cause if you go back to the personality of these 2 guys from the very beginning, Captain America has always been the one happy to sing the partyline and dance to the corporate tune, and Stark was always the 'rebel' - the one who doesn't want to be controlled of constrained by anything.

There should have been a role reversal in Civil war.

Which is kinda odd, cause if you go back to the personality of these 2 guys from the very beginning, Captain America has always been the one happy to sing the partyline and dance to the corporate tune, and Stark was always the 'rebel' - the one who doesn't want to be controlled of constrained by anything.

Thats certainly the way they started out.

However, the events in Winter Soldier, seeing how much of the government was infiltrated by Hydra, would have increased Cap's distrust of government, authority and the party line.

The events in Age of Ultron, seeing how his creation was perverted and ended up becoming Ultron, may have made Stark question his philosophy on having free reign and how much the government should be involved. Being confronted by the parent of a child who died in Sokolovia, also appeared to have an effect on Stark, and made him agree to some limits posed on super heroes by a higher authority. Plus he is going through relationship issues with Pepper which probably makes him more willing to evaluate all aspects of his life. She's always been one who tried to reign him in and get him to be less rebellious.

They actually did a good job of explaining why the characters took the sides that they did, over the course of their previous movies and early in this one.

I watched episode one of the new Roots last night. Changed a ton of the story, mostly the African parts which of course Haley made up for the most part. I probably prefer the original even though it looks phony and crappy looking back especially re cinematography etc.

Of course, it is also really unlikely Kunta Kinte is even Haley's ancestor.

That's the point. In the comics that's the way it is because Captain believes in freedom of oppression for all people including the superheroes after having dealt with the oppressive Nazi regime. It makes perfect sense that'd he'd be against Iron Man's treaty.

Sounds like Brie Larson is going to get cast as Captain Marvel.

Not her first comic book movie, she had a small (but important) role as Envy Adams in Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

Interesting ... I haven't seen Deadpool yet (cause I've only heard bad things about it) but I'd rank it above Civil War and Superman v batman ... S v B gotta be one of the most overhyped and disappointing movies I've seen.

Interesting ... I haven't seen Deadpool yet (cause I've only heard bad things about it)

I need names and addresses so I can find these people, please.

but I'd rank it above Civil War and Superman v batman ... S v B gotta be one of the most overhyped and disappointing movies I've seen.

SvB was an editing nightmare. I'm really looking forward to the ultimate edition that is coming out in a few weeks. I have a feeling that the 30-35 minutes of stuff that got cut will make it a much more coherent film.

Back