• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Even in the middle of an episode of Orville where I'm wondering what I think, Seth and the writers will come up with something that makes me laugh out loud.

If your wife ever tells you that she got tickets to trans-siberian orchestra fake an injury. I went this past Friday night and it required several $20 drinks to get through. Parts of it are Disney song bad.

If your wife ever tells you that she got tickets to trans-siberian orchestra fake an injury. I went this past Friday night and it required several $20 drinks to get through. Parts of it are Disney song bad.

I have no interest in any orchestra... though Siberian transgenders playing makes it a little more tempting.

3d is great if they actually film it for 3d. but many of these directors don't. on purpose. like for blade runner. and watching retrofit 3d is pretty awful.

Haven't seen it, but the 3D preview before Justice League looked incredible. I'll see it in 3D first.

My only issue with the ATMOS theatre locally, is the extreme volume - I could deal with more refined sound rather than pure volume.

91sn32Q.jpg

3D was exciting in 2008 and 2009. The novelty has run-out.
And yes, it needs to be filmed for 3D to be worth it to pay the extra.

Saw it in IMAX 3D and it was awesome. The presentation was exceptional. I wouldn't say it needs 3D by any means but it certainly didn't hurt in the slightest. This is the first time I've experienced IMAX 3D and it definitely seemed better than other 3D experiences.

The movie was great. I think it's the best of the new generation of Star Wars films yet. Sets up real nice for the next one too.

Saw Star Wars last night ... I'm a big Star Wars fan and really liked "The Force Awakens". A friend of mine who saw the movie before me told me "the movie's EPIC". With that high expectation, I was a little disappointed.

I think the movie is FINE, and people who would watch it would watch it in theatre anyways, but it fell short of 'epic' imo. I think the plot is too predictable, and throughout the movie I kept waiting for some kind of twist, or climax, and it just didn't happen.

I think the movie fails to exceed being "just ok" for a few reasons ...

1. this movie (TLJ) and in fact the reboot including TFA, are really carried by the old actors - Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill ... the new actors are weak in comparison. Daisy Ridley is the stronger of the bunch, but Adam Driver is REALLY, REALLY weak as Kylo Ren imo. I remember when I saw Darth Vader in the original Star wars (granted, I was a kid) I was terrified. I don't get that feeling at all with any of the 'bad guys' on screen. The Last Jedi (and the SW reboot) would be a total disaster if it's left to just the 3, 4 new actors to carry

2. The plot development is highly, highly predictable. Not only it's predictable, it's a combination of cliche's from a bunch of blockbusters over the year. Look at the character of Luke Skywalker - as much as they tried to confuse you with trailer misdirections, it turns out to be EXACTLY what everyone would have guessed as soon as you are told he's gone into missing. I mean, if Luke has REALLY gone over to the dark side, I think that would have made it 1000% more interesting. (Interestingly, Hamill told the director "I disagree with every decision you have made with this character."

3. The original trilogy was very successful in being creative and created an "aliens-western" world that just wow'ed you with imagination. The new trilogy pretty much happens in the same "Star Wars" universe, there's nothing 'new'.

Now the movie still has its humorous moments, and as a die-hard fan of the original trilogy it's always a treat to revisit the original characters on-screen like seeing an old friend, so I think it's always worth the admission price. But I guess I kept waiting for those "MOMENTS" in the originals, like when Hans Solo was frozen, or when you find out Luke and Leia were siblings, or when Luke cut off his hand after he found out Darth Vader was his dad ... etc etc. And you keep waiting until the movie's over.

I can at least say this - the movie's over 2.5 hours long, and I didn't once check my watch ... so the plot does move along, and it is entertaining enough to keep you engaged. It just falls short on what I expected after TFA ... and I blame it on my friend who said it's Epic I guess

I think they screwed up in TFA by showing Kylo's face. The great part about Vader was the mystery of who/what was under the mask. Actually I think they made a mistake telling us who he was at all. They should have had him kill Han in TFA then they could have revealed his identity in TLJ.

That would have given us a "wow" moment at least.

I still loved both of them though. Maybe not epic... but really good. I'm a sucker for these movies and superhero movies though.

Star Wars was mediocre. Let's face it folks, the magic is gone and the corporate minds behind Disney aren't too likely to get it back. It was better than the previous one though, if for no other reason than that film being a near exact copy of episode IV plotwise.

The problem I had with this one were the out-of-place humour bits(ie Spaceballs-style comms joke), the ridiculous plot holes, and the disappointing deaths of major characters. Snoke...what the **** was that? 'nuff said. Luke...come the **** on, he deserved a better death than that. It's Luke ****ing Skywalker. He should have raised up his x-wing dagobah style, flown out there, gone out in some crazy combat sequence with him flipping all over the place and ****ing up those walkers. then his heroic death inspires Rey and sparks the new rebellion, or whatever the **** it is. that would have been so much better.

and in closing...what the shit was with Luke milking those alien creatures. like with closeups of their weird alien walrus tits and everything. jesus christ.

Back