• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

The Brubaker arcs were "Winter Soldier" & "Death of Captain America"......The Marvel "Civil War" event happened in between, with Mark Millar primarily writing the framework of that arc, and individual writers doing their characters spin offs, during it.

So yeah, it kind of all happened together....as it all took place within Brubakers time on Cap, but they're separate arcs.

In fact now that I think back to reading it in trade paperback form....they're all kind of intertwined....so I'd read a couple issues fpm Brubaker Winter Soldier, then Millar Civil War, then a issue or two of Brubaker then back to Civil war......just so the stories all aligned chronologically.

...and I only did that with Cap & Civil War.....if you truly wanted to read the entire story, you had to do that with like 5 or 6 other comics/trades.

In fact now that I think back to reading it in trade paperback form....they're all kind of intertwined....so I'd read a couple issues fpm Brubaker Winter Soldier, then Millar Civil War, then a issue or two of Brubaker then back to Civil war......just so the stories all aligned chronologically.

...and I only did that with Cap & Civil War.....if you truly wanted to read the entire story, you had to do that with like 5 or 6 other comics/trades.

I read it all in digital form as someone was kind enough to zip all the files together. But my memory for that stuff is fleeting -- which comes in handy when I watch the movies years later with an air of surprise.

Larger mind boggling point on the business side -- who knew back in the 50s that these pulpy, far fetched story doodles for kids would one day be worth billion. Hell, even in 1986, you could buy the entire Marvel universe for $46 million.

..and if we're buying honest, that's what got in the way of the Civil War event in the comics too. All these cross comic events are primarily just money grabs to an extent....and while the premise to Civil War is great, having it told over so many comics in such a convoluted way, hampered any chance for it to be great imo. Ditto having the main arc written by Marc Millar, who is more of a style versus substance guy......his books are made to be adapted to the big screen as summer blockbusters, versus simply being a story so well told, that it's begging to be adapted and told cross medium.

This is kind of what drives my preference for creator based content in comics versus the big name brand franchises within Marvel & DC....you run in to the exact issues youre describing here, where the writers are beholden to the executives versus taking the story where ever it leads. Thankfully every once in a while you get a writer with enough talent that these companies give them a bit of free reign to do as they please, and you get Miller's work on Batman/Daredevil, Moore on Joker, Brubaker on Cap & DD, Snyder on Batman, etc...

They went so far away from the source already, outside of the overall arc of the registration act itself.....I have a feeling they simply plan to tell their own story from here on out, versus being very faithful to Millars stuff.

Yeah, ultimately I think if I'd never read the comic book arc, I'd have enjoyed the movie even more......but I thought the final third of the movie worked real well, and as we've said, both Black Panther & Spidey really stood out.......that kid they hired to play Peter, was born for to play the role.

Pretty much all of these huge crossovers end up being disappointments in the end. It's too commercially-driven, too expansive over titles that you don't normally read or care about, and oftentimes the ending is a letdown. I honestly don't even remember the actual ending of Civil War anymore (and I prefer to keep not remembering until I see the movie). All I recall right now is Spidey coming out with his identity to the world, which seemed like an insanely stupid idea at the time, which they realized later and had some idiotic story about using some spell to make the world forget again.

The writing in the Marvel Universe has gotten so bad, I dropped all the Marvel titles after the last big event. I could tell from the first moment that this relaunch would be an abortion, so I'm just waiting for the next inevitable relaunch. In the meantime, I've been keeping up with the Batman books and Justice League. But even DC is doing another relaunch next month, so who knows what those titles will be like now.

The bigger problem to me is that they tend to clump. We had Deadpool, BvS, and Civil War all come out within 2 months of each other, and still the next X-men comes out in 2 weeks. But then you wait until the summer for Suicide Squad, the Fall for Doctor Strange, and then you're waiting until next March. At least next year they seem more spaced out at around one every month or two, checking the release dates, although that still makes for an awful lot of movies.

BvS and Suicide Squad are WB; Deadpool is Fox as is X-Men; Civil War and Doctor Strange are Disney/Marvel. They're clump together cause the studios want money and they're not all tied together.

I thought the Civil War print saga had more to it. Doesn't Capt America "die"? Or am I confusing it with something else? Thought the Civil War arc would be at least 2 films.

They can't do everything they did in the print saga, becaue the end goal here is Infinity War, and Cap has to be part of that.

The Comics do too many death/resurrection stories that you can't do in the movies and remain credible IMO.

Can't do it and stay credible in the comics either, and yet...

Hence why comic book arcs don't make hundreds of millions of dollars. They end up selling to niche markets.

You could make the movies be completely true to the comics and ruin the credibility, and dramatically reduce the audience too. Doesn't seem like a good idea.

So ya Dany with the huge push last night. Shit just got interesting for her again

Last edited:
Back