• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Anybody get through the new season of Jessica Jones? I’m struggling with the slowness 3 episodes in.

Anybody get through the new season of Jessica Jones? I’m struggling with the slowness 3 episodes in.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat so far. I left off halfway through episode 3 a few days ago and haven't gotten back to it.

I don't dislike it, but it doesn't really grab your attention so far either.

I was half expecting this to happen after season one. Season one's villain (Kilgrave) was such a compelling character, and the actor who played him did such an unbelievable job that it was always going to be pretty tough for them to successfully follow up on that.

He was one of the best parts of the show in the first season, and thus far, they haven't been able to fill the hole he left behind.

I'm 6 episodes in, it gets better, but i also hate the SLOW pace ... it just seems like they have a plot that's good for 4 episodes and they try to make 10 episodes out of it.

One advantage of Netflix was they didn't have to conform the series length to any TV schedule, they can make each episode as long or as short as they want, and same for series length. It doesn't seem like they are taking advantage of that right now, all new series are 10-11 episodes long, each episode ~ 45min - 1 hr.

I think the Norton Hulk flick was great until it brokedown with a very forgettable villain. I dig Tim Roth but I don't think they handled the bit with The Abomination well at all.

Anyone watch TV shows, Outsiders, McMafia, Counterpart? Some good stuff there, for fellow insomniacs. Take a free trial, no salesman will call lol.

I'd say The Wire & The Sopranos changed peak television exponentially more than "24" did.....they brought a prestige to television that showed writers/directors that television could be a higher form of art than it had been previously. 24 just kind of upped the game for trashy network shows, while still being in that vein. (Imo)

As for TV vs Movies....there's greater art being produced in either medium now than ever before, it's just a matter of what you choose to consume. If you're only watching movies that get released in theatre, then you're likely to have a bit of a distorted view of the calibre of films being made (and feel over saturated with Superhero/Star Wars/sequels)....but even then, with the slightest bit of effort there's piles of great, challenging stuff available to see in theatres.

I haven't really found any prestige television that's blown my doors off of late, not since maybe Fargo season 2.......plenty of stuff dressed up like peak TV that follow the same blueprint, but fall short of the real deal (Ozark, Narcos, etc etc...that while being plenty entertaining, aren't really close to the calibre of Sopranos/Wire/Breaking Bad/Mad Men etc).

Fact is tho, there's just more of everything....good & bad....just need a better filter than ever before to sift through it all to seperate the great from the good, and the good from the trash.

Well thought out and expressed. Agree. I would say there is a ton of watchable stuff out there now. High, high end, yes you're right, that requires, well, whatever was required by Marner with that small body to become the superstar he is. I suppose. Ton of creativity, talent and hard work.

I found Ozark and Narcos to be highly watchable. I nearly slagged off Narcos, because of the hideously bad casting of Pablo Escobar, as soon as that anomaly was out of the picture, it was quite good.

Wow, lotta Marvel guys here, I guess we had to get into stuff like that, cause our Leafs were so bad for our childhoods, for the most part.

I was a pre teen during the Dougie-Wendel years, I don't think being disappointed about my hockey team had anything to do with it. I think I got my first X-Men subsciption the year Dougie won the Selke.

Comics during that era, and the previous few decades were the best place for telling socially subversive stories . You could tell a story about mutants as a way to deal with the ridiculous level of racism in the 60's, make a comic about a strong black character and have the balls to call him the black panther ffs.

I thought you of all people would appreciate how creative and subversive the genre and especially Marvel the company has been for basically it's entire history. Even making a teenage science nerd it's most popular hero is a pretty massive departure from the type of people society tells you that you should be looking up to at that age. Comics in general, but Marvel pretty specifically has always had a knack for kicking societal norms right in the dick while making it look like a story about a guy in spandex who can lift a car over his head.

Even in the most recent movies (and the story line the movies originated from) they made Captain ****ing America a subversive character, disobeying the government, taking a stand against US government tyranny, etc.

Last edited:
Captain America is an interesting one, i ****ing loathed the first one with TLJ and that shitty villain, but loved Winter Soldier and everything else he's been in.

Anybody watched Tomb Raider?

I was a fan of the game and heard good things about the movie (for those who liked the game)

I was a huge comic guy, lost a fortune, when a jilted ex girlfriend sold my collection on me, when I was vacationing with another girl. And I guess a lot of my comics were Marvel. But I hate to admit, I was into another genre of comics. As well. Scrooge McDuck, lol, Disney stuff, documentary like comics, all kinds of shit from my era.

I would walk the streets for hours for pop bottles, to feed my comic book habit. I also felt at an age well under ten, that I would turn my collection over to my son. My son is a huge Marvel guy, but alas, I was never able to turn over any million dollar plus collection over to him.

Watched Death of Stalin yesterday. Laughed my ass off. High recommend for fans of black comedy and russian history. Some fantastic performances.

Watched Ready Player One today, great flick. Even if you're not a gamer you'd enjoy it, but if you were a gamer there are LOTS of easter eggs in the movie (I guess that's why it's released around Easter) ... it's a great classic Spielberg flick

Back