• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Favourite Youtube videos

Cmon, you don't get sentimental over anything? Man, I am constantly amused by thoughts and memories of the past.

Yeah and I have the memories. Being sentimental about an object is what I'm talking about.

For instance. My original wedding ring was too big, so I got a new one and don't care at all about the original outside of the monetary value. If it can be replaced by something I like as much and it's of equal or great value I don't care.

Yeah, I still can't understand that point of view. Some objects are so alive with memories. I have a copy of the board game Axis and Allies that we would play in high school. It's covered in beer rings and beat to hell. I wouldn't sell it for a thousand bucks.

Yeah, I still can't understand that point of view. Some objects are so alive with memories. I have a copy of the board game Axis and Allies that we would play in high school. It's covered in beer rings and beat to hell. I wouldn't sell it for a thousand bucks.

See I don't understand that at all. By all means if you love the game I understand having a copy of it. But if someone was to give you a replacement copy of it and $1000 or even $50 I can't understand why you wouldn't take it.

Pretty simple concept, really. Items related to your childhood or to special memories are going to have sentimental value. I've got a few things I'd hate to part with for that reason.

Pretty simple concept, really. Items related to your childhood or to special memories are going to have sentimental value. I've got a few things I'd hate to part with for that reason.

I understand that to a certain degree... and I understand ST loving that game and always wanting a copy... I just don't really understand needing that particular copy over and identical replacement.

I loved Saved By The Bell as a kid and to this day it still brings back great memories... by I don't need to watch it on my old TV or if I had a VHS copy from 1990 that I used to watch I'd gladly trade it for a DVD copy.

In that case, the "sentimental attachment" is to the tv show itself, not to the tv set or vhs tape. Man, I feel like I'm explaining the concept of humanity to Montana here.

In that case, the "sentimental attachment" is to the tv show itself, not to the tv set or vhs tape. Man, I feel like I'm explaining the concept of humanity to Montana here.

I believe you're missing my point.

Like ST's board game. I understand the sentimentality of the memories and even wanting to relive them in some way... I just don't understand the attachment to that particular copy of said game/shirt/ring/watch or any other object.

Like I said, I had to swap out my wedding ring and I gave zero ****s about the fact the the new one wasn't "my wedding ring."

To each their own though. Just saying how I personally feel.

Don't you have memories triggered by smells, sounds, or tactile sensations? In my example, the smell of opening that game box triggers some pretty great memories. The sight of those beer rings immediately remind me of my friends trash talking each other around the table. The box top has a list of every game we played including the team make up as well as the outcomes. I could never replace that.

Don't you have memories triggered by smells, sounds, or tactile sensations? In my example, the smell of opening that game box triggers some pretty great memories. The sight of those beer rings immediately remind me of my friends trash talking each other around the table. The box top has a list of every game we played including the team make up as well as the outcomes. I could never replace that.

To each their own, but I'm not like that either.

I'd take a picture of the beer rings and list of games played and sell if for $5.

I think there's a fine line between nostalgia and sentimentality. Nostalgia I think is a fantastic thing to tap into and exploit, when done right (some people I find can us it to mope about how great things "used to be") it can be a great tool to enjoy things in your current day to day life, at a heightened level. (Perfect example being HNIC games....I think whether consciously or not we all tend to tap into that nostalgia from out youth, and it heightens our enjoyment of today's broadcasts.)

Sentimentality tho, I think it taking it to the extreme.....where instead of focusing on the memories themselves (which is the important variable, imo) they attach their emotions to the objects, which kinda defeats the purpose a bit, unless it's an item that is still practical to use today. I can get the same effect from seeing pics of toys from my youth, as I can from physically hoarding all that shit as an adult just to go jog a memory once every few years, while pretending the items themselves have some grand importance.

More importantly though.....these items people "can't part with" are more often than not the most banal of objects that people attach the most absurd and illogical (imo) importance to, simply because they used those items as a kid.

I own a Walther P38 gun that someone brought back from the war as a gift to my father, I have a smoking jacket of his with his initials embroidered into it....that kinda shit I enjoy having because I'd think they're as cool/useful today, as they were then, regardless of any sentimentality.

Conversely I enjoy playing retro video games at my buddies place, because I enjoyed them as a kid.....I don't need my versions of those games to stoke my memories or nostalgia tho. SpaceGhost was one of my favourite cartoons as a kid, but I don't need to watch those old cartoons to enjoy memories of it, I can watch SpaceGhost Coast to Coast, or have it as a screensaver from time to time. Similarly to ST, I played Axis & Allies growing up, but I don't need my specific copy of it to instil the memories of playing it. A new copy, does that perfectly fine.

Last edited:
I think there's a fine line between nostalgia and sentimentality. Nostalgia I think is a fantastic thing to tap into and exploit, when done right (some people I find can us it to mope about how great things "used to be") it can be a great tool to enjoy things in your current day to day life, at a heightened level. (Perfect example being HNIC games....I think whether consciously or not we all tend to tap into that nostalgia from out youth, and it heightens our enjoyment of today's broadcasts.)

Sentimentality tho, I think it taking it to the extreme.....where instead of focusing on the memories themselves (which is the important variable, imo) they attach their emotions to the objects themselves, which is kinda defeats the purpose a bit, unless it's an item that is still practical to use today. I can get the same effect from seeing pics of toys from my youth, as I can from physically hoarding all that shit as an adult just to go jog a memory once every few years, while pretending the items themselves have some grand importance.

More importantly though.....these items people "can't part with" are more often than not the most banal of objects that people attach the most absurd and illogical (imo) importance to, simply because they used those items as a kid.

I own a Walther P38 gun that someone brought back from the war as a gift to my father, I have a smoking jacket of his with his initials embroidered into it....that kinda shit I enjoy having because I'd think they were cool/useful today regardless of any sentimentality.

Conversely I enjoy playing retro video games as my buddies place, because I enjoyed them as a kid.....I don't need my versions of those games to stoke my memories or nostalgia tho. SpaceGhost was one of my favourite cartoons as a kid, but I don't need to watch those old cartoons to enjoy memories of it, I can watch SpaceGhost Coast to Coast, or have it as a screensaver from time to time. Similarly to ST, I played Axis & Allies growing up, but I don't need my specific copy of it to instil the memories of playing it. A new copy, does that perfectly fine.

I'd say that sums up how I feel about it too.

Having said all that, I'm a minimalist at heart......so while I can understand where ST wants that physical object to trigger his memories.....I view it as junk that needlessly takes up space, for the fairly low return on investment of triggering a fleeting 30-60 second memory once every few years, that a photograph of said item could likely replicate with 80% efficiency. To me having a clean clear environment around me > stoking the odd bit of sentimentality.

To go back to the wedding ring example......the thing that struck me funny about Mindz comment, wasn't that it illustrated exactly what I had been thinking, but in the moment after posting the story it kind of struck me how upsetting that might have been to my mom at the time, but that she has never once commented on how much she misses it, or how terrible it was, or any such nonsense......in fact I suspect we've gotten more enjoyment over laughing at the fact that I was such a little shit disturber, that even at that young age, I was doing crazy shit like losing her wedding ring.

Last edited:
I own a Walther P38 gun that someone brought back from the war as a gift to my father, I have a smoking jacket of his with his initials embroidered into it....that kinda shit I enjoy having because I'd think they're as cool/useful today, as they were then, regardless of any sentimentality.

This is kind of what I was getting at, in that the items are still cool today, but there's also a little sentimental attachment to the past associated with that particular one. You could get an exact replica of that smoking jacket, but it wouldn't have nearly as much meaning to you personally because it isn't that smoking jacket. Ultimately, I think a lot of people may view them as irreplaceable and very hard to put a monetary value on. Do people take this nostalgia way too far? Of course, but I definitely see the appeal. It is the memory that's important, not the item, but the item can be useful in triggering those memories and making them stronger due to smell, touch, etc.

Personally I think a lot of the "childhood" associations are the strongest, because we saw the world so much differently back then, and it takes us back to a much different, and invariably simpler, time. And definitely helps trigger those memories and strengthen them by association with the object itself.

I can't think of a single item I own from my youth besides maybe hockey cards... but there's not a one that I wouldn't sell for "book price" or trade for an exact replica or upgrade.

You could get an exact replica of that smoking jacket, but it wouldn't have nearly as much meaning to you personally because it isn't that smoking jacket.

It wouldn't......because I don't think his smoking jacket has any magical mystical powers that attach it to my memories of him. Plus, we had different middle initials, so on my new replica that would be sorted out.

Personally I think a lot of the "childhood" associations are the strongest, because we saw the world so much differently back then, and it takes us back to a much different, and invariably simpler, time.

A time when we were more ignorant about the reality of the world/universe around us and believed in fairytales like God, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Ghosts, Heaven, etc etc.....people like to romanticize things/memories, which usually means attaching illogical mythical type importance to objects or people, that don't actually exist.

imo.

Hmm good stuff guys. It made me reflect on this board game I've been carting around for 20+ years. It's literally the only thing I have from my childhood, outside of some pictures, etc. so I think it does have an illogical sense of importance to me. I don't normally hold things, but this damn boardgame is impossible to let go of. I bet it will be passed down to my kid and she will chuck it away at a garage sale. And I'm fine with that.

Having said all that, I'm a minimalist at heart......so while I can understand where ST wants that physical object to trigger his memories.....I view it as junk that needlessly takes up space, for the fairly low return on investment of triggering a fleeting 30-60 second memory once every few years, that a photograph of said item could likely replicate with 80% efficiency. To me having a clean clear environment around me > stoking the odd bit of sentimentality.

To go back to the wedding ring example......the thing that struck me funny about Mindz comment, wasn't that it illustrated exactly what I had been thinking, but in the moment after posting the story it kind of struck me how upsetting that might have been to my mom at the time, but that she has never once commented on how much she misses it, or how terrible it was, or any such nonsense......in fact I suspect we've gotten more enjoyment over laughing at the fact that I was such a little shit disturber, that even at that young age, I was doing crazy shit like losing her wedding ring.

Nah, I still see my old friends once a year for a match...and we always play on this board. Of course a new game would offer virtually the same experience, it would still feel like letting go of a tradition.

Back