• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Updates and Rumours from around the League

Im not exactly sure how it works in the front office, but i figure the manager asks "How much $ do you want?" and "do you want to stay?". If either answer is not definitive enough, you move the guy.

You can not lose this guy for nothing without replacing him some way.

The only thing that sucks is that we are stuck with Clarkson as his "replacement" because of the contract. Unless we are able to resign Kulemin to a decent deal.

I think something that hockey guys need to get used to, that is a much more common thought in the basketball world is the value of the expiring contract. It's not like we would lose Kulemin "for nothing". There's actually quite a bit of value in that 2.8 million dollars he's being paid. He's a good, 12-15 goal 3rd line winger at this point...can we replace that for 2.8 million? Not really, but it's not that far off from what it would cost to replace him if we make a good signing.

I agree with that, but we might as well lose him for a cost, and then use that space to replace him along with the assets we got for him.

Say we move him to Pittsburgh for picks + prospects, and then use his available caphit in the summer to sign his replacement. The only thing we really lost was an 8 week rental of a decent but not great player for a playoff run.

In the end we end up with *Kulemin's replacement + picks/ Prospects instead of just his replacement.

THe benefit the NHL has over the NBA is that we have multiple rounds of draft in hockey versus only 2 rounds. Those picks have value, whereas in the NBA a 2nd rounder holds near no value beside a throw-in.

I've always found the NBA's development system to be shit. Even the D League system is terrible. For a league that has a forced slavery collegiate feeder league, it has no development for talent that isn't immediately NBA quality out of the draft.

How many good basketball players simply stop playing ball because they finish their 4 years of college and **** off into obscurity because they can't win an NBA job immediately?

Give them a legitimate development league like the AHL where veteran, non NBA ball players can still make a decent living, and you'd see a lot more players staying in basketball after their NCAA career is over. Playing in the D league is a joke...there's 3 salary levels, 13, 19, & 25K. How do you expect to develop a basketball player when he's either working as a stock boy or selling weed to just feed himself properly and keep a roof over his head? Just food for a professional athlete is a tremendous cost. A top, 230 pound athlete would need something in the range for 4-5K calories a day. That's a lot of chicken breast.

Last edited:
I agree with you, but how would those leagues operate? They would make no money. I have never even thought of watching a d-league game. Without people watching, there is no money to be made.

I agree with you, but how would those leagues operate? They would make no money. I have never even thought of watching a d-league game. Without people watching, there is no money to be made.

There's no reason why AHL hockey is viable in binghampton, but pro basketball can't be viable in some of these smaller basketball heartland places like Iowa, Indiana, etc. ****, put the teams in cities with NCAA teams, it becomes a clear path for a lot of guys from the college program to stay in the town and make 80-100K a year playing ball.

Like the AHL needing NHL support, a revamped D League would need NBA financial support.

What's in it for the NBA? The NCAA feeder system is perfect for them.

How is it perfect for them? Any player over the age of 22 that isn't NBA calibre right now is more or less lost to them forever. If the NHL had a similar development system, basically any player drafted beyond the 2nd round would never have made the league. Any player who broke into the NHL after the age of 23-24 yrs old would never have made the league. If the NHL system were similar economically to the NBA's, anything that you developed via the AHL as an organization simply wouldn't exist. How many guys tough it out in the AHL for a few years for 25K a year?

The only benefit for the NBA under the current system is cost...the NCAA costs them nothing. I'm not even suggesting a massive change to what there is now when all things are considered. D league has a salary cap of 173K per team. If each NBA team adopted a D League team and the average salary ended up something in the 70-100K a year range, you're looking at a maximum of 1.5 million per team...basically the cost of an end of the bench scrub, all for the ability to bring in raw talents and get them into your professional development and coaching process. If you pulled one rotation player out of that every 2-3 years, the cost savings compared to acquiring a similar player in free agency (an end of the bench, #10-12 guy to round out your roster) easily pays for the running of the team...which of course ignores the fact that a lot of minor league sports teams actually make money.

Is there enough NBA quality talent out there? God only makes a few 6 foot 6 guys every year. As it stands now, a 2nd round pick has very little value.

Is there enough NBA quality talent out there? God only makes a few 6 foot 6 guys every year. As it stands now, a 2nd round pick has very little value.

Why does it have very little value though? Mainly because there's no functional method for developing a 22 yr old that isn't NBA ready. Anyone who has toughed it out in the NCAA for 4 years and earned his degree, isn't going to take 13K to play in the D League. That shit is below the poverty level.

As for the amount of tall players, there doesn't seem to be a shortage for the NCAA to exploit.

Minor shake-up for them, added toughness for the 4th line I guess but don't see why that would be a need with Prust and Parros

Because they overrate emelin.

lol

a) emelin has been a heatlhy scratch
b) emelin and diaz have nothing to do with each other
c) diaz has been replaced by Beaulieu
d) hopefully it means the end of parros
e) this weise guy has more points than bourque, prust, moen, etc

Montreal traded Rapheal Diaz to Vancouver for a thug(Dale Weise).....why?

Weise is hardly a thug. Canucks wanted him to be one, he wanted to be a goal scorer. Both sides are disappoint.

But it looks like a "we'll trade you our problem for your problem" kind of deal.

Weise is hardly a thug. Canucks wanted him to be one, he wanted to be a goal scorer. Both sides are disappoint.

But it looks like a "we'll trade you our problem for your problem" kind of deal.

I think he is third on the habs in scoring.

Stamkos saying he'll play against the Red Wings Saturday and he'll decide on Olympic participation based on that game.

Hockey Central‏@SNHockeyCentral·11m
RT @LightningTimes Stamkos says his target date to play is Saturday at home vs Red Wings. Will determine Olympic participation off that game

Back