• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Updates and Rumours from around the League

Don't care. Phaneuf's shot is better and has been underutilized with Franson on the right side and Gardiner/Rielly are much better play makers and need the experience to develop that part of their game.

On what planet is Dion's shot better? The guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn... Franson has a low slapper that he gets through and its easily tippable/generates rebounds. I have no problem with Rielly taking a slot on one of the top powerplay blueline slots, but a big hell no to both of them anchoring them, you need a shooter and neither guy fits that role.

On the planet where Phaneuf has 117 goals compared to Franson's 35. Franson has a decent shot, but Phaneuf is a high end goal scorer from the blueline.

On what planet is Dion's shot better? The guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn... Franson has a low slapper that he gets through and its easily tippable/generates rebounds. I have no problem with Rielly taking a slot on one of the top powerplay blueline slots, but a big hell no to both of them anchoring them, you need a shooter and neither guy fits that role.

Myth

Not that I'm siding with Franson in this debate, but Phaneuf is not a "high-end goal scorer from the blueline" at this point in his career.

Not when he scored all of 3 goals last season, and has only hit double digits once in his past five seasons.

I don't get the issue on why we won't sign Santo... guy is exactly what this team needs which is a hard-working and versatile guy that you can slide anywhere up front depending on the situation.

As for Franson.... it's clear he's not as great as he thinks he is, he surely isn't worth an abusrd contract which is IMO why teams aren't biting on him. Currently, we have zero room for him... we have like 8 guys already anchored in which are Phanuef/Rielly/Gardiner/Polak/Hunwick/Robidas/Harrington/Marcini AND that doesn't include guys knocking on the door like Percy/Loov/Finn etc.... only way I see Franson coming here is if Dion is moved.

Why would you list Harrington there?

Not that I'm siding with Franson in this debate, but Phaneuf is not a "high-end goal scorer from the blueline" at this point in his career.

Not when he scored all of 3 goals last season, and has only hit double digits once in his past five seasons.

Whatever, its semantics. Franson has never hit double digit goals. Franson scored 20 goals as a Leaf. over those same 4 years Phaneuf scored 32.

Having him on the right side of the PP and taking away Phaneuf's one timer was pretty dumb IMO.

Whatever, its semantics. Franson has never hit double digit goals. Franson scored 20 goals as a Leaf. over those same 4 years Phaneuf scored 32.

Having him on the right side of the PP and taking away Phaneuf's one timer was pretty dumb IMO.
We don't disagree there.

I just objected to suggestion that he's a high-end goal-scoring defenseman, because that hasn't been true for the majority of his Leaf career.

With the signings the Leafs have made they are definitely not going the way of the Buffalo Sabres of the last few years. We are setting up as a team that will work hard and grind all the way through to the end of the season. If they lose, they lose but they won't bend over like they did last year.

JVR - Kadri - Lupul
Panik - Holland - Parenteau
Winnik - Matthias - Arcobello
Komarov - Spaling - XXXX

You could essentially move everyone on the right side down a spot and make a move for Mike Santorelli. I don't see us going for Alex Semin but if you are going for a lottery ticket well he's the guy. In a contract year he might provide excellent value. IF he doesn't well it's likely only a 1 year contract.

You could essentially move everyone on the right side down a spot and make a move for Mike Santorelli. I don't see us going for Alex Semin but if you are going for a lottery ticket well he's the guy. In a contract year he might provide excellent value. IF he doesn't well it's likely only a 1 year contract.
Semin could be a good piece to sell at the deadline if you get him motivated and productive on a one-year contract.

But it's pretty unlikely it happens here. Babcock and Shanahan have been banging the drum pretty loudly about all our players being "good people" and hard workers. Semin is pretty much the opposite of that, considering he's a living, breathing embodiment of all the worst stereotypes you've ever heard about Russian hockey players.

It's not quite 1992-93 San Jose Sharks/Ottawa Senators bad or 1999-00 Atlanta Thrashers bad, but it's bad.
...and just think about how much uglier it'll be when we sell off all the pending UFA's at the deadline, along with whatever else isn't nailed down, and replace them with a mix of minor-pro veterans and salary dumps/cast-offs from other teams (like Eric Brewer, Joakim Lindstrom, Olli Jokinen, Zack Sill, etc.).

This team finishes in the bottom-10 at best, and very likely finishes in the bottom-5. Hopefully we don't get too badly screwed by the lottery for picks #1-3.

It's probably close to on par as Buffalo's roster from last year. Better than what they ended the season with, but not by much, especially if you end up dealing Phaneuf.

Semin could be a good piece to sell at the deadline if you get him motivated and productive on a one-year contract.

But it's pretty unlikely it happens here. Babcock and Shanahan have been banging the drum pretty loudly about all our players being "good people" and hard workers. Semin is pretty much the opposite of that, considering he's a living, breathing embodiment of all the worst stereotypes you've ever heard about Russian hockey players.

If Babcock interviews with Alex Semin and thinks he can get some good hockey out of him until the deadline than i think you make the move. With Alex Semin potentially producing as much scoring as Phil Kessel how different is the team from scoring standpoint? The difference would be that Semin wouldn't be looked to as "the guy" like Kessel was looked at. He's as talented as it gets and it'll be up to management/Babcock to decide if he can be a valuable piece to this organization either as a player or an asset at the deadline.

Are any of your assertion ever actually supported by reality?

Back