• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Updates and Rumours from around the League

Or just not sign him again since he hasn't been very good this year.

As for the rest of that article, Lou is going about things exactly as I hoped. Dump Bernier for nothing, trade the UFAs for good picks in a seller's market, shop guys with term that have no future here. And if you can get more or less the offers you want, maybe it makes sense to trade earlier rather than later to bypass a few additional sellers getting in the way at the deadline.

I'm surprised the article didn't even mention Bozak. I'm hoping he ends up going and bringing us the best return.

Injury is a real concern too.

I'd be real pissed if one or more of these guys get hurt in the days before the deadline and we get stuck with them. Let's lock in a couple of returns earlier rather than later maybe.

Lets hope some teams are desperate to get in and decide to make their moves earlier this year to get additional use out of the rentals.

Would it really be THAT awesome to resign Winnik 2 years from now?
Yeah, I think getting free assets for Daniel Winnik twice would be pretty awesome, but I'm not too enthusiastic about the idea of re-signing him again. His play's dropped off noticeably this year, and I think we're also getting closer to a point in the evolution of this organization where we're no longer going to be filling up the bottom of the roster with 4-5 Winniks, Santorellis, Matthiases and Parenteaus in the summer. If it doesn't happen this summer, I think we'll certainly be there by the summer of 2017.

Already this year, the Marlies have bunch of guys that are older and/or have a couple years of professional hockey under their belts, and who are probably ready to move on to challenging for a roster spot (possibly as soon as next season). There's William Nylander, of course, but then there's also Nikita Soshnikov, Connor Brown, Josh Leivo, Brendan Leipsic & Zach Hyman. And with some of those guys, in 2017 we'll also be reaching the point where we'll have to give them a shot in the NHL, or risk losing them on waivers.

Training camp next year is going to be crazy. The number of kids battling for several open roster spots will be crazy, especially when one considers that Nylander and Marner are both probably going to be on the roster. Then add Kapanen, Brown (who I feel they have to bring up next year), Leivo, Percy, Harrington, possibly Leipsic and Johnson, Valiev, Loov. Our 1st from the coming draft. Crazy young roster next year.

You can also likely add Nikita Zaitsev. And if he's coming over after seven years in the KHL, it's probably not going to be to play for the Marlies.

Could be an almost unprecedented number of rookies on the roster next season.

It's imperative to deal away Bozak next month. To free up the money over the next two years, but just as important, the roster spot.

Lupul is totally stuck for the time being. He's going to be taking a spot away from a deserving kid. At least Bozak they have to find a way to move, and hopefully for something really good in return. His cooling off lately along with the rest of the team is not doing us any favors right now.

That's a very JVRish deal. Early on without too much elite level performance out of him, and really banking on him to blossom.

Or is it that with Petry's contract, $6M just isn't a lot of money anymore?

I'm even more curious what Rielly signs for. I'm hoping we give him a Barkov-like contract and lock him up, rather than go with a bridge deal and get burned in a couple of years like the Habs did with Subban. Whether Norris trophies are in his future too, I don't know, but I think it's pretty clear at this point that, at worst, Rielly's a top-pairing defenseman.

I guess it kinda helps us Kadri had a poor offensive first half, despite playing 'the right way'. Despite Babs calling him 'the best forward' and all that, the fact he's on 45 points pace is not going to get him too much $$ as an RFA

Have to lock up Rielly long term IMO. He is 21 and on pace for a 40 point season (including top 5 in the NHL in ES scoring, without any PP time, while playing against the other teams top lines every night. He's a sure thing. He is the kind of core piece you lock up long term.

7-8 years for $5.5-6.5. Klingberg just signed for $4.25, so maybe you can get him for less.

Kadri is tougher. Stepan just signed a 6 year deal for $6.5 a year. Do you give that to Kadri? He is a long term solution as a 2nd line center that can play in all situations and against the other teams top line. But its a big contract to a guy that is a good player but not a building block. I think I'd try to sign him to a short term deal again. Unless he gives us a hometown discount.

PVMjnsq.png

Wow...Dallas locked up Klingberg for six more years at $4.25M per season?

Either I missed that or forgot about it, but with Klingberg only being 23 years old and on pace for 65+ points this year, that's got to be a serious contender for "best contract in the league". If we can get Rielly signed to a deal anywhere close to that cap number and term, it'd be an absolute coup.

Kadri, while I'd like to keep him, I'm more hesitant about. He's a great all-around player and a solid NHL center, but with his inconsistent offensive production, I'm not really comfortable signing him for anything close to that Stepan contract. If you can get him for $4-5M, I'd be comfortable signing him long-term.

Anything more than that, and I'd either want to go short-term, or if he won't sign, send him on his way.

I was just saying that to someone this week. Reilly needs to be locked-up this summer. You can easily save 2-3 million per in his prime years by doing it now. The Habs completely screwed-up the Subban situation.

I'd like to see Bozak traded and Kadri kept. He is a solid two-way second line Centre imo. The price should not be too high given the offensive production he has.

If you offered Kadri 5M x 6 this summer, it would be really hard for him to turn down that much guaranteed money coming off the type of raw numbers season it's looking like he's going to finish with.

Back