• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Updates and Rumours from around the League

Who was the player who cried in arbitration? I remember reading about some coach ripping into someone and they ended up in tears

3 funny stories from NHL's rarely-used salary arbitration

I didn't realize how rare NHL arbitration was.

Mike Milbury made Tommy Salo cry. And the Coyotes called Mike Johnson the “The worst forward in the NHL.”

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/547156

Subban actually seems like a player that doesn't take "the business side" of the game personally, that can handle conflict in that arena. Even if he's more outspoken. It's still really dangerous for the Habs to let it come to arbitration, but maybe they're less afraid of ruffling his feathers than they would be with another player.

I do find it interesting how the habs fans on this board continue to negate the arbitration process like its no big deal. Why won't any of you admit that it's stupid for Bergevin et al. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but you can't just keep fluffing this off like it's nothing.

I do find it interesting how the habs fans on this board continue to negate the arbitration process like its no big deal. Why won't any of you admit that it's stupid for Bergevin et al. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but you can't just keep fluffing this off like it's nothing.

It doesn't mean he's leaving Montreal by any means, but I have no idea what the habs think they're doing here. I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation...it's like the Leafs taking Kessel to arbitration.

I know it doesn't mean that, but as you mentioned, if the leafs brought Kessel up to arbitration, the posts would be endless that it would be proof that Kessel isn't wanted by the leafs, and that he won't resign for sure now. Some just don't acknowledge any negativity this can cause.

I read a tweet that "apparently" they were going to bring up that he doesn't play the PK or log the big minutes against the top competition. So Therrien's stupidity is going to be used as evidence??

I wonder IF Therrien's criticism and pulling of Subban at times was used to lower his value.

I haven't seen anyone do that. I just don't think we're at catastrophe level yet. They have until the decision is handed down to sign a long term deal. Then he's still and RFA next year... it's not good if it gets to that, but it's also not over.

If I were a Habs fan it would certainly cause concern about the competence in management. Taking your cornerstone player through this process makes no sense, and can't possibly achieve anything positive.

Just pay the guy what he is worth. Its not rocket science. These are the easy deals.

If I were a Habs fan it would certainly cause concern about the competence in management. Taking your cornerstone player through this process makes no sense, and can't possibly achieve anything positive.

Just pay the guy what he is worth. Its not rocket science. These are the easy deals.

But again, we don't know that the Habs haven't offered him what's he's worth and he maybe want more. Or maybe there's other sticking points. We have no idea what's being offered or asked.

It doesn't matter what we know or don't know about the offers.

What we do know is (1) PK Subban is an elite player, and its not really possible to sign him to a bad contract, you can pay him $10+ mill a season and thats perfectly fine (2) taking him to arbitration is idiotic and (3) the best possible outcome is saving a bit of cash on a one year deal when you have $11 mill in cap space and everyone signed.

It makes no sense. I am baffled as to how this could make sense to an NHL GM. The only other team to do this to one of its stars was one of the poorest teams in the league where the cash actually matters.

Subban's demands seem more than reasonable. $8.5 as his asking price in arbitration is actually low... considering the players usually start from a sky high figure, negotiating and all. He actually showed something by signing that last bridge contract too.

Bt94rWCCUAAC5k1.jpg

That's how good he is...switched his shot handedness mid career. Impressive.

His arby hearing is over btw...so the temporary intermission for the circus is also over now.

Letting it go to arbitration is absolutely moronic, IMO. This really shouldn't be that hard of a contract to have worked out before arbitration.

Back