• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Updates and Rumours from around the League

If this goes to arbitration it's a massive **** up for the Habs... if they get a good deal done then all is well. Not a whole lot in between.

But Eller is a human snot.

He's not your best player who's been jerked around on previous negotiations and clearly should get his max deal based on the market.

As for the human snot comment. That's just retardation... and you completely missed the point. The team ended up paying MORE than the player was even asking for in arbitration by signing a long term deal... just like what could easily happen in the Subban case.

Yeah, and if they tried to sign him to a big long term contract at the first chance when they could, and should have it might have turned out differently.

Dont' **** around with players like that. They are worth whatever you pay them. You can't sign PK Subban to a bad contract. $8 million, $10.5 million. No matter what its a win. You can't win if you take him to arbitration. Thats a shitshow. Its just unnecessary.

Yeah, and if they tried to sign him to a big long term contract at the first chance when they could, and should have it might have turned out differently.

Dont' **** around with players like that. They are worth whatever you pay them. You can't sign PK Subban to a bad contract. $8 million, $10.5 million. No matter what its a win. You can't win if you take him to arbitration. Thats a shitshow. Its just unnecessary.

That's why they will sign him to a long term deal before the hearing.

The fact people can't recognize the grey area that is contract negotiations, which lives between "give them whatever they want" and "take them to arbitration" is amusing to me.

Montreal is simply doing what all teams do, which is try to negotiate the best possible deal you can, for your franchise.

The fact people can't recognize the grey area that is contract negotiations, which lives between "give them whatever they want" and "take them to arbitration" is amusing to me.

Montreal is simply doing what all teams do, which is try to negotiate the best possible deal you can, for your franchise.

**** you robot

**** you meatwad

Meatwad.png

The most fundamental aspect of any kind of negotiation is bargaining power. Any good negotiator needs to be cognizant of how much bargaining power they have because at the end of the day you want to make the deal. With guys like Subban, Kessel, Suter etc. approaching UFA teams don't have any because if you don't make the deal there are 29 other teams that will. Those players have all the power. There is little to gain by ****ing around.

At the end of the day Subban will get whatever it is he wants. It is what it is.

Last edited:
But Chicago didn't just give Toews and Kane the $12m they were asking for... and I'm sure Kessel was asking for more than he got.
And what you perceive as "****ing around" is really just common practice, from both sides. For all we know the Habs have offered him 8x8 and he's rejected it and he (more specifically his agent) is using the threat of an impending arbitration hearing to squeeze out more... and it's likely going to work.

You just don't hand over a blank cheque. You have to at least try to negotiate the best deal possible... even if you end up paying a lot more than you'd hoped.

Nah its ****ing around. Kessel said he wanted the contract done before the season so they took care of it in a couple of days. Toews and Kane signed a week after they were allowed to.

They are really, really easy deals to negotiate. Common practice isn't putting the squeeze on your cornerstone players. There is too much negative that can come from it, and not enough positive for it to be worthwhile. Why risk alienating the most important player on your team? To try and save $1 million a year? Really? Like I said the Canadiens have no bargaining power. PK will get what he is after regardless.

Last edited:
No matter how you slice it, the Habs have no leverage here. If they just want to nickle & dime Subban on another short-term deal, then he just goes to arbitration and he gets paid. If they want to start buying up his UFA-eligible years, then they have to pay him pretty much whatever he's asking for, because I'm sure Subban is more than confident that he'll have teams lining up to give him even more than he's asking for if he hits the open market in two years.

And if they're banking on the hope that PK will give them a break and leave money on the table, because he loves being a Hab so much, they should probably get their heads examined. When they squeezed every possible penny out of him in negotiations two years ago, they pretty much guaranteed that Subban would do the same to them given the opportunity this time around.

Now, all that being said, I'll still be more surprised if this actually gets to arbitration than I would be to hear that he's re-signed long term. But the longer this goes on, the more you wonder what exactly Habs management thinks they're doing here.

The salient point.

There's nothing to really negotiate, at least not for this long. What is Montreal going to gain?

Just hoping that the management doesn't decide to stick it to him so as not to "set a precedent" or anything, and they just iron out the final numbers.

I mean, I can imagine in the MLB contracts can take a while to iron out, with all those weird opt-out clauses, vesting conditions, bonuses, etc... With the cap in the NHL, doesn't it basically come down to just:
-Salary per year
-Signing bonuses per year
-No trade/No movement clauses

There's really nothing else involved, as far as I can see.

Back