• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

Never mind there's probably a ton of complaints that never reach the public eye that are successfully defended. Not every alleged harassment is broadcast to the public.

Of course. Hell Harvey Weinstien had liquidated damages built into his Miramax contract for each sexual harassment he committed.

He has his wealth, he no longer has a job.

That said, I believe weinstien should be in jail, his only punishment being a loss of reputation and loss of his job is not sufficient.

The problem I see is that now all acts are being lumped together. There is a huge difference between the Franken allegations and Weinstein yet both are being treated the same by the public.

I totally get employers canning people though, the last thing you want now is to be seen as being soft on this stuff. Even if Lauer is not guilty, who cares, they can pay him. If they kept him and he is guilty, then NBC is ****ed.

At the same time, not sure how you can decide a case that is almost four years old in 24 hours as NBC did.

The problem I see is that now all acts are being lumped together. There is a huge difference between the Franken allegations and Weinstein yet both are being treated the same by the public.

I totally get employers canning people though, the last thing you want now is to be seen as being soft on this stuff. Even if Lauer is not guilty, who cares, they can pay him. If they kept him and he is guilty, then NBC is ****ed.

At the same time, not sure how you can decide a case that is almost four years old in 24 hours as NBC did.

Its like you said, if its true they are ****ed, and that's all they needed to think of before canning him.

Also, if it makes then look bad when even if its not true that means they are still ****ed.

It looks like the article hints that an investigation into Lauer has been ongoing and it was turning up some ugly patterns.

And it is telling that for some, the first words out of their mouth are to take a shoot at the victims by crying false accusation.

it's not just 24 hours - many people knew.

and I despite franken being pressured to step down, I don't think people are viewing him and Weinstein similarly at all.

It looks like the article hints that an investigation into Lauer has been ongoing and it was turning up some ugly patterns.

And it is telling that for some, the first words out of their mouth are to take a shoot at the victims by crying false accusation.

I had heard Lauer was a major *******, but not that he was a sexual predator.

it's not just 24 hours - many people knew.

and I despite franken being pressured to step down, I don't think people are viewing him and Weinstein similarly at all.

I had heard the complainant/victim only came forward on Monday and he was canned last night.

Multiple news outlets had active investigations going. It is in the story I linked back a page.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I am sure Lauer has a long list of women at NBC who are doing jigs today, eg Anne Curry, Tamryn Hall, Katie Couric (who said he used to pinch her ass daily). Apparently, he was a total douche on the set.

Study released on internet trolls...heh

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886917304270

Highlights

Trolling is an online antisocial behaviour with negative psychological outcomes.

Current study predicted trolling perpetration from gender and personality.

Trolls more likely to be male with high levels of trait psychopathy and sadism

Trolls have lower affective empathy, and psychopathy moderates cognitive empathy.

This is just...wow

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hiv-denial-movement-fuels-russian-epidemic-025621937.html

Moscow (AFP) - Fewer than half of Russians with HIV are taking antiretroviral drugs, in part because of a conspiracy theory that the AIDS-causing virus is a myth invented by the West, officials and activists say.

While AIDS-related deaths and new HIV infections are falling across the globe, in Eastern Europe and Central Asia statistics grow more alarming by the year.

According to official figures, 80 people died daily from AIDS-related issues in Russia in the first six months of 2017, up from about 50 daily deaths in 2016.

The skipped "causes autism" and went straight to "western conspiracy"

Well done Russia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-42277040

PM Theresa May has struck a last-minute deal with the EU in a bid to move Brexit talks on to the next phase.

There will be no "hard border" with Ireland; and the rights of EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU will be protected.

The so-called "divorce bill" will amount to between £35bn and £39bn, Downing Street sources say.

The European Commission president said it was a "breakthrough" and he was confident EU leaders will approve it.

What has been agreed?

Guarantee that there will be "no hard border" between Northern Ireland and the Republic and that the "constitutional and economic integrity of the United Kingdom" will be maintained.

EU citizens living in the UK and vice versa will have their rights to live, work and study protected. The agreement includes reunification rights for relatives who do not live in the UK to join them in their host country in the future

Financial settlement - No specific figure is in the document but Downing Street says it will be between £35bn and £39bn, including budget contributions during a two-year "transition" period after March 2019

soooo the EU got everything it wanted?

In the preliminary round before they move on to the heavier lifting, more or less yeah.

The lying twat known as Nigel Farage was exceptionally angry with the outcome, which is a pretty good barometer of how that side of the argument should feel about it.

The "it's going to be a ****ing debacle" camp is sadly going to come out looking pretty smart when all is said and done.

Back