• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

Yeah, and sometimes a lawyer can get a child rapist off on a technicality.
heaven forbid the state be required to meet a high standard and dot all Is and cross all Ts. Remember if you were charged with any crime and your lawyer could get you off with a charter argument, you wouldn't say no.

Hey I'm not saying I have all the answers. Obviously there's no perfect system.

I just could never justify representing someone who I knew was guilty of killing, or raping a child.

I just could never justify representing someone who I knew was guilty of killing, or raping a child.

How would you know for certain?
When Furlong got accused, public opinion was like yours - let him rot in hell.
Then he got accused a second time.
Then a third time.
All three times, the accusations went nowhere, because there was little to no evidence to corroborate the claims.
Yet the court of public opinion thinks he truly is a pedo, since there are three unfounded claims against him.
Careful how you paint with that brush.

How would you know for certain?
When Furlong got accused, public opinion was like yours - let him rot in hell.
Then he got accused a second time.
Then a third time.
All three times, the accusations went nowhere, because there was little to no evidence to corroborate the claims.
Yet the court of public opinion thinks he truly is a pedo, since there are three unfounded claims against him.
Careful how you paint with that brush.

Lawyers often know if their client is guilty.

I never said anything about public opinion being the deciding factor.

Lawyers often know if their client is guilty.

I never said anything about public opinion being the deciding factor.

When there is money to be made, morals have no place.
Monsanto doesn't give a shit that Roundup kills - as long as it makes them money.
Wall Street never gave a shit about the people they made homeless with their games.
Homolka's lawyer hid the video tapes the cops couldn't find to make sure he won that case for his client and earn his money.
Everywhere you turn, morals are defeated by money.

Well that's my point. Money over morals.

Is there a higher moral calling that giving someone a competent defence, that you know with every fibre of your being, doesn't deserve it?

We're either a society of laws or a society of feels....can't be both, and I know which one I want to live in.

When there is money to be made, morals have no place.
Monsanto doesn't give a shit that Roundup kills - as long as it makes them money.
Wall Street never gave a shit about the people they made homeless with their games.
Homolka's lawyer hid the video tapes the cops couldn't find to make sure he won that case for his client and earn his money.
Everywhere you turn, morals are defeated by money.

Murray and Macdonald were Bernardo's lawyer (and assistant). But your point stands.

Is there a higher moral calling that giving someone a competent defence, that you know with every fibre of your being, doesn't deserve it?

We're either a society of laws or a society of feels....can't be both, and I know which one I want to live in.

Meh, that's just bullshit that we've been force fed for our whole lives. Just like everyone who goes to war is a hero. There's nothing moral about getting murderer or rapist off because you're a better lawyer than the other guy. I'd feel the same about a prosecutor putting someone away who they knew was innocent.

On the flip side, there's nothing more admirable than getting an innocent person off or putting away an guilty person. Again, I don't have the answers... and I don't know how you can have the good without the bad. Doesn't change the way I feel about the bad part though.

Meh, that's just bullshit that we've been force fed for our whole lives. Just like everyone who goes to war is a hero. There's nothing moral about getting murderer or rapist off because you're a better lawyer than the other guy. I'd feel the same about a prosecutor putting someone away who they knew was innocent.

On the flip side, there's nothing more admirable than getting an innocent person off or putting away an guilty person. Again, I don't have the answers... and I don't know how you can have the good without the bad. Doesn't change the way I feel about the bad part though.

Society of feels it is I guess.

Back