• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

I didn't bring up the Turks because they are muslims.

I brought them up because they were getting ready to pounce on the UK as soon as they were able to.

But I don't know. Maybe the prospect of 12 million Turks moving to England wasn't so appealing?

How would 12 Million Turks go over in Sarajevo for example? I wonder how many Balkan cities would welcome that idea.

I'd give it a big fat zero. Why should England be any different?

Let Germany "benefit" some more.

I would have probably voted remain, but this is a textbook illustration of how ordinary people have been devastated by the effects of globalization and their rejection of its policies that have encouraged growing income inequality.

And even the most ardent remain supporter will have to concede that they understand why so many working class people relished the opportunity to publicly embarrass the kleptocrats in Brussels who created this resentment in the first place with their authoritarian trade policies.

I'm curious, when Northern Ireland & Scotland leave, will what's left still call themselves the "United Kingdom", or just "The Kingdom"?

I guess technically they could keep their name, since they'll still have England & Wales.

Wales is technically part of the Kingdom of England though. It's a principality for all intents and purposes.

Oh and please explain how the EU has harmed Greece.

That's ****ing ridiculous.

They had bail outs and austerity forced on them instead of being able to debase a national currency like every other country who has ever been in a similar situation ever and recovered quickly. Greece's economy has been turned into a perpetual sick man of Europe instead of the short term pain, and long term recovery associated with debasing the currency. It would have spiked exports, and spiked tourism.

People who don't understand economics look at the bail outs (which were really loans, to be paid back later) and think that the Greeks got something for free. They didn't. They got given money (which went immediately to European creditors who would have never lent Greece that type of money if they didn't have EU backing), to pay back their creditors, which will be paid back by Greek tax payers over the course of the next few decades. They "should" have just debased their currency (aka, print money to pay off their debts), take the short term hit to credit rating and inflation and grow their export and tourism industries for a decade while piles of foreign money poured into the country.

The only thing ridiculous here is your grasp of economics.

Anyways, it really sucks that the selfish Baby Boomers continue to **** over the younger generation, saddling them with poor economic decisions that will forever negatively impact their long-term financial and employment prospects, and ultimately their earning potential. As awful as the EU's bureaucracy is, access to the common economic market and lower tariffs on imported goods is of far greater importance than some additional minimal measure of independence. The UK would have been far better off trying to reform the EU as a key decision-making member from within rather than leaving the organization entirely.

As things stand, we may now have referendums in Denmark and France over the next two years that will likely determine the future viability of the economic community.

I guess you missed the part where they didn't pay back any of the loans.

By the way the devaluing currency idea is a great one. A friend of mine has a trillion Zimbabwe dollars if you ever need a loan.

The Brexit is just the beginning.

Sooner rather than later the rest of the rich EU countries will get tired of propping up the poorer ones, and getting flooded with immigrants for their troubles, plus being dictated to by a foreign body.

I guess you missed the part where they didn't pay back any of the loans.

As usual, you don't know what the **** you're talking about

http://www.ft.com/ig/sites/2015/greek-debt-monitor/

There's a little help for you

By the way the devaluing currency idea is a great one. A friend of mine has a trillion Zimbabwe dollars if you ever need a loan.

There's a difference between debasing the currency and hyper inflation. A huge difference. Again, you haven't the faintest ****ing clue. The US has been inflating (aka, debasing) it's way out of fiscal problems for 50 years. You'll hear it called cute names like "quantitative easing", but that's pretty much exactly what it is. Print money to pay shit off. As long as your debt is denominated in your currency, you're golden.

The Brexit is just the beginning.

Could be. There will be a few important votes upcoming. If France decides it wants out, that's probably the end of the EU.

Sooner rather than later the rest of the rich EU countries will get tired of propping up the poorer ones, and getting flooded with immigrants for their troubles, plus being dictated to by a foreign body.[/QUOTE]

When it come right down to it, Cameron tried to reform the EU, tried to get the best deal for Britain before this referendum. It was a piss poor shitty shitty deal. Because in reality, if the brits got a stellar deal, then what was to stop the Italians from asking for a better one, the french, the Spanish? The EU would unravel with theses ever sweetening deals until they finally said no to someone and that someone would be furious and take their ball and go home.

So what the British were stuck with was a system in which Brussels got to tell the British how many immigrants came in, how they were to go about trade and a boatload of stupid regulations. A bunch of unelected bureaucrats from Brussels making decisions for the British. GB over its history has done a fine job making desicions for itself and it's citizens, why in the world does it need a unelected technocrats in Europe doing that for them? For the benifits of the economy? Screw it, some things matter more than the ****ing economy. A country should not sacrifice their freedoms for the goddamn economy.

The EU is structured horribly. Even if they were a federation representative of their member countries makeup, you would have a situation where the collective will of Europe was imposed on a different region. Every country in Europe would be a minority regarding their own affairs. That's a best case scenario.

The reality is its like that, only with a bunch of unelected(by the mass majority of people in europe) technocrats in Brussels imposing their will on the whole of Europe. National sovereignty be damned. Working class bits seeing close to a million polish people move in overnight is not what joining the EU was about for them, but the collective wishes of the Britain matters not in the labyrinth of Brussels bureaucracy. This is why you see these working class neighborhoods voting on mass to leave. The EU might benifit someone, but they don't see how it benifits them. At least not st the cost that they are willing to pay.

So the economy sucks for a bit. The British people have decided that it's better to be in control at the helm of a shitty situation than watch the bunch of asshats in Brussels try to navigate yet another crisis.

Anyways, it really sucks that the selfish Baby Boomers continue to **** over the younger generation, saddling them with poor economic decisions that will forever negatively impact their long-term financial and employment prospects, and ultimately their earning potential. As awful as the EU's bureaucracy is, access to the common economic market and lower tariffs on imported goods is of far greater importance than some additional minimal measure of independence. The UK would have been far better off trying to reform the EU as a key decision-making member from within rather than leaving the organization entirely.

As things stand, we may now have referendums in Denmark and France over the next two years that will likely determine the future viability of the economic community.

I agree overall with the sentiment but the older have always saddled the younger with stuff, the world is thus. You don't trust baby boomers and they don't trust millenials who are the most self-entitled generation in world history.

As usual, you don't know what the **** you're talking about

http://www.ft.com/ig/sites/2015/greek-debt-monitor/

There's a little help for you

There's a difference between debasing the currency and hyper inflation. A huge difference. Again, you haven't the faintest ****ing clue. The US has been inflating (aka, debasing) it's way out of fiscal problems for 50 years. You'll hear it called cute names like "quantitative easing", but that's pretty much exactly what it is. Print money to pay shit off. As long as your debt is denominated in your currency, you're golden.

Could be. There will be a few important votes upcoming. If France decides it wants out, that's probably the end of the EU.

Sooner rather than later the rest of the rich EU countries will get tired of propping up the poorer ones, and getting flooded with immigrants for their troubles, plus being dictated to by a foreign body.

Thanks Dr. Recchi.

I agree overall with the sentiment but the older have always saddled the younger with stuff, the world is thus. You don't trust baby boomers and they don't trust millenials who are the most self-entitled generation in world history.

The Boomers are definitely the most self-entitled and selfish generation that has ever existed. Literally every other generation hates them and their unfettered greed. They're the primary cause of the basket case the world economy finds itself mired in and they were the ones that precipitated Brexit.

The Boomers are definitely the most self-entitled and selfish generation that has ever existed. Literally every other generation hates them and their unfettered greed. They're the primary cause of the basket case the world economy finds itself mired in and they were the ones that precipitated Brexit.

Ya, maybe not entitled, but certainly boomers had a crazy sweet ride. My parents (boomers) always tell me how much easier they had it than my generation. Back then all you had to do was...

(1) Graduate from high school
(2) Get some job down at the plant.
(3) Put in your 9 to 5,
(4) Get a sweet pension + benefits
(5) Retire to your cottage.

Now, you basically must go to university, take a 4-5 year program, fight for a crappy job, it'll probably be the first of 5 to10 jobs your going to have before you retire at 70 to live off your savings.

That luck did allow them to fight Vietnam wars fight for equality etc. Boomers are not my favourite group but at least you can criticize them. If you do that to a millenial, a group who thinks he shouldn't have to pay for music should make partner in 3 years, not pay for movies online etc

Ya, maybe not entitled, but certainly boomers had a crazy sweet ride. My parents (boomers) always tell me how much easier they had it than my generation. Back then all you had to do was...

(1) Graduate from high school
(2) Get some job down at the plant.
(3) Put in your 9 to 5,
(4) Get a sweet pension + benefits
(5) Retire to your cottage.

Now, you basically must go to university, take a 4-5 year program, fight for a crappy job, it'll probably be the first of 5 to10 jobs your going to have before you retire at 70 to live off your savings.

And for the past 20 years Brits have had to deal with millions of immigrants that would work for a fraction of their wages.

The Brexit is not a surprise to me at all.

So why doesn't the US print off a few trillion and pay off China.

Because most of their debt is owed to themselves. Their debt to China is vastly overstated. About 8 percent of public debt.

It would be like declaring bankruptcy because you owed a few hundred on your credit card.

Back