• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

Everyone is now out of the cave. Health wise they are not out of the woods yet but one hopes that they all have a successful physical and mental recovery.

Everyone is now out of the cave. Health wise they are not out of the woods yet but one hopes that they all have a successful physical and mental recovery.

have you heard of any health issues?

thought they were all doing okay?

physically anyway

have you heard of any health issues?

thought they were all doing okay?

physically anyway
There's no reported issues that I've seen yet, but there are a whole bunch of potential problems that come along with being trapped in a dank cave for almost two weeks.

That's why for now, in an abundance of caution, they're keeping the kids in pretty strict medical isolation after taking them out of the cave.

There's no reported issues that I've seen yet, but there are a whole bunch of potential problems that come along with being trapped in a dank cave for almost two weeks.

That's why for now, in an abundance of caution, they're keeping the kids in pretty strict medical isolation after taking them out of the cave.

Yep, and even if/when they all physically recover, you have to imagine the emotional trauma of the situation is going to be very hard on all of them. I mean, even trapped in a cave like that for a couple hours I think would be hard enough, can't imagine what went through everyone's minds during the ordeal, especially before they were found. Like, once you're gone for 2-3 days, you have to be thinking that this is it and that no help is going to come.

big credit to those kids

i think the worst part would the mental part when you are trapped with nowhere to go and no way of knowing if anybody will even find you

Myanmar-born Adul Sam-on, 14, speaks several languages, and was the only team member to be able to communicate with British divers when they were first discovered.

It was 17-year-old Peerapat Sompiangjai's birthday when the group became trapped in the cave. The snacks the boys brought with them to celebrate are likely to have helped them survive their ordeal.

Assistant coach Ekapol Chantawong, 25, was said to be the weakest of the group when they were found, as he had reportedly refused to eat any of the food and gave it instead to the boys.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44782132

Yep, and even if/when they all physically recover, you have to imagine the emotional trauma of the situation is going to be very hard on all of them. I mean, even trapped in a cave like that for a couple hours I think would be hard enough, can't imagine what went through everyone's minds during the ordeal, especially before they were found. Like, once you're gone for 2-3 days, you have to be thinking that this is it and that no help is going to come.
The thing that's really hard to wrap your head around is that most of the time, they were in complete darkness. Prolonged sensory deprivation, no sense of the passage of time, no way of knowing if you're running out of air, or if the water's going to rise further. That'd give a lot of hardened adults some serious PTSD, never mind a bunch of kids.

The thing that's really hard to wrap your head around is that most of the time, they were in complete darkness. Prolonged sensory deprivation, no sense of the passage of time, no way of knowing if you're running out of air, or if the water's going to rise further. That'd give a lot of hardened adults some serious PTSD, never mind a bunch of kids.

kids probably handle it better than most adults

I think your correcf. But the one thing i thing would have helped is having each other close by ... being able to hear the voices or even touching another would have helped.
But the dampness must have must have been played havoc with their breathing, and i wonder how cold it would have gotten in that place.
I wonder how many lawyers are already circling the boys looking to make money off of the coach or the government itself.
Yup definately a movie will be made.
Congrats to the men and women who put their own lives at risk to save these youngsters.

it's thailand. the families may get some small reparations, but nobody is taking legal action that will net money from the coach (who probably earns a few dollars a day) or the govt (let's see how much thye have to pay out to the families of the 60 chinese tourists who died last week on one of those terribly unsafe (i know from experience) phuket ferries)...

it's thailand. the families may get some small reparations, but nobody is taking legal action that will net money from the coach (who probably earns a few dollars a day) or the govt (let's see how much thye have to pay out to the families of the 60 chinese tourists who died last week on one of those terribly unsafe (i know from experience) phuket ferries)...

Yep. Ideally whoever decides to make the movie about it shares a lot of the profits with them all as their way to get a little coin.

“Based on true events” sounds like a legal cop out for executive producers.

Anyway, Thailand kicked ass with this rescue, though obviously the boat distaster takes the shine off. That shit has to stop.

https://gizmodo.com/british-police-identify-two-russian-suspects-in-novicho-1827710334

British police have reportedly identified two suspects in the nerve agent poisonings that left one person dead and three others injured. The suspects were identified after UK police combed through “months” of surveillance footage at British airports, as well as security camera footage from around Salisbury.

Both CNN and the BBC refer to an unnamed police source with knowledge of the case, but British authorities have yet to release an official statement. That source says that the two Russian suspects used aliases to leave the UK on commercial flights. The two suspects are reportedly “fresh identities,” not known to British intelligence agencies and were identified using facial recognition technology.

“Investigators believe they have identified the suspected perpetrators of the Novichok attack through CCTV and have cross-checked this with records of people who entered the country around that time,” the unnamed police source told Britain’s Press Association.

So this is a good news/bad news scenario for me. Good news that they've identified suspects in the case, bad news that a fairly orwellian technology is what got it done.

Shocking stuff that none of us assumed:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/20/muslim-terror-attacks-press-coverage-study

Terrorist attacks committed by Muslim extremists receive 357% more US press coverage than those committed by non-Muslims, according to new research from the University of Alabama. The researchers controlled for factors like target type, number of fatalities, and whether or not the perpetrators were arrested before reaching their final statistic.

Terrorist attacks committed by non-Muslims (or where the religion was unknown) received an average of 15 headlines, while those committed by Muslim extremists received 105 headlines.

The findings, which are illustrated below, were based on all terrorist attacks in the US between 2006 and 2015 according to the Global Terrorism Database. The disparity in media coverage is particularly out of sync with the reality given that white and rightwing terrorists carried out nearly twice as many terrorist attacks as Muslim extremists between 2008 and 2016.

The disparity in media coverage is particularly out of sync with the reality given that white and rightwing terrorists carried out nearly twice as many terrorist attacks as Muslim extremists between 2008 and 2016.

poor Johnny

Back