• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

You literally cannot make this type of absurdity up. Sweden to offer jobs, housing, and counselling to ISIS fighters from Iraq and Syria returning to Sweden:

A programme to rehabilitate former Isis fighters and other extremists with housing, employment, education and financial support is being trialled in Sweden.

Local authorities in the city of Lund say the controversial measures aim to reintegrate returned jihadis into society and prevent them reverting to their former networks.

Anna Sjöstrand, the municipal coordinator against violent extremism, acknowledged the proposals were controversial but argued that the same approach should be taken to Isis defectors as to those leaving organised crime and neo-Nazi groups.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ducation-benefits-reintegration-a7371266.html

Pure and utter insanity comparing your run of the mill criminals to those who are documented as committing war crimes such as ethnic cleansing, shooting and burning prisoners alive, and mass rapes of women.

I mean it's one thing to offer social services and guidance to kids who may have gotten involved with a bad crowd and shoplifted or did drugs, recovering alcoholics who fell into disrepute with their families and friends, or just those who have made a glaring error in judgement for whatever reason. It's quite another to offer those services and governmental assistance to a group of individuals that one would hesitate to call human and who should be sitting in front of a war tribunal in The Hague because of the level of heinousness of their crimes. We are talking about a segment of society that, for all intents and purposes, is not likely to become rehabilitated.

Rehabilitation is generally a great policy, but there are certain things people can't, or shouldn't be allowed to come back from.

I'm starting to gradually come around on that whole rape culture concept.

in fairness, the mother and grandmother didn't want him to go to jail. He did get 30 years suspended.

I don't practice criminal law but incest cases are a different breed. I can only assume the accused did not have a previous record nor had he ever been deemed a threat to children other than his own.

Judge probably thought, if the mother and grandmother say putting him in jail isn't best for him nor his other children, why should I.

I do query why the mom and grandmother seem to be preferring sons/grandsons over the daughter but the article did not say why.

You literally cannot make this type of absurdity up. Sweden to offer jobs, housing, and counselling to ISIS fighters from Iraq and Syria returning to Sweden:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ducation-benefits-reintegration-a7371266.html

Pure and utter insanity comparing your run of the mill criminals to those who are documented as committing war crimes such as ethnic cleansing, shooting and burning prisoners alive, and mass rapes of women.

Yeah...that's ****ing 'tarded. There's certain monsters that are just unfixable. I somewhat admire the adherence to a rehabilitational view of criminality...but **** me, that's taking it to the extremes.

Hopefully this is just a rouse to get them into the country then harvest their organs.

Pretty sure that's an overly simplified and misleading account of the way that law's going to work. And I guess that's not too surprising, since it quotes Charles McVety---one of the preeminent, right-wing Christian social Conservative nutjob activists in Canada.

I believe what the bill actually covers is people who privately donate sperm for the express purpose of conceiving a child. So, situations like this, where a gay man donated sperm so his friend could conceive and signed an agreement (that turned out to not be legally binding under the current laws) that he would have no parental rights and not be financially responsible, then ended up getting sued for child support 16 years later when he had a high-paying job and the mom ran into financial problems and could no longer afford the kids on her own.

Back