• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/n...fire-ghomeshi/article21396998/?service=mobile

.......This was a decisive meeting for Mr. Ghomeshi, resulting in his dismissal. But his fortunes were all but decided at a meeting three days earlier, according to multiple sources familiar with Mr. Ghomeshi’s interactions with the CBC. All had knowledge of the days leading up to his departure, but none was authorized to speak publicly about it.

The meeting on Thursday, Oct. 23, was prompted in part by growing concern among Mr. Ghomeshi and his advisers that a journalist might be preparing to publish allegations of non-consensual and abusive sexual encounters, according to sources. Mr. Ghomeshi’s lawyers, who had been in discussion with the CBC for months, had evidence they believed would prove Mr. Ghomeshi’s sexual partners had consented.

Executives at the CBC, who had long accepted Mr. Ghomeshi’s account, asked to see the detailed evidence. According to sources with knowledge of the exchange, Mr. Ghomeshi’s camp agreed, and a meeting was arranged for Thursday.

At that meeting, a lawyer for Mr. Ghomeshi presented two people from CBC management with texts, e-mails and photos of the radio host’s sexual encounters. The evidence was intended to demonstrate consent, a point Mr. Ghomeshi would later stress in a statement: “Everything I have done has been consensual.”

But the CBC managers were taken aback, and their views on Mr. Ghomeshi’s conduct changed instantly. What they saw, in their opinions, was far more aggressive and physical than anything they had been led to believe during months of discussions.

Although Mr. Ghomeshi wrote in his statement that the CBC agreed “there was consent,” sources suggested CBC officials were not confident in drawing that conclusion. What was certain was the corporation – a public broadcaster, heavily funded by citizens – swiftly decided it had seen evidence of conduct it could not be seen to defend, according to sources.

The CBC did not put Mr. Ghomeshi on leave until the next day, Oct. 24. Shortly before 4 p.m., journalist Jesse Brown tweeted that Mr. Ghomeshi was on “indefinite” leave, and the CBC’s head of public affairs, Chuck Thompson, responded with a tweet saying he was not, as Mr. Ghomeshi had not yet been told.

Once the host was informed, he was given Saturday to think about his situation and decide whether he had anything further to say to CBC managers.......

So CBC did totally give him the benefit of the doubt and only fired him based on own accounts of what happened? Interesting...

Found on Jian's facebook page...heh

10734228_868144766552069_4659756035346081929_n.jpg

The older I get the more I realize that the majority of guys are fricken creeps.

yep...and if they have the right look and/or profession, they can get away with it for a long time, if not forever

So CBC did totally give him the benefit of the doubt and only fired him based on own accounts of what happened? Interesting...
I'm kind of curious how that conversation went.

Ghomeshi: ...okay, now onto girl #37 on my list. I may have verbally abused her, choked her and punched her in the head a few times without talking to her about that beforehand, but she gave me a BJ before I kicked her out of my hotel room, so that counts as consent, right?

CBC Execs: ........

Have you read any of the accounts of these woman? Or are you just basically saying that they are all bullshit because they are anonymous?

Some of these stories are ****ed up. How you can defend him and worry about his career being ruined is beyond me.

I have a feeling something must of happened to you to take this side of the argument.

Google rape stats. How can you argue that they can't be backed up? Because they weren't reported to the police? Even the ones that are reported to the police are a ridiculously overwhelming number.

But lets get to the real root of the issue here. You're claiming that non of the stats can be backed up, when every major organization that does these studies has similar stats. So why are all these woman claiming they've been raped? Are they making it up? What's the agenda in doing so?

You're a neanderthal because your lumping it all together. A few people have been falsely accused of rape (yes that has happened) so therefore we must throw out every claim that a woman has been raped? Gimme a ****ing break. That's a chicken shit stance.

And for the record it's up to 9 woman now. The odds of 9 random woman all claiming he did similar acts to them, the statistical probability of them all being false allegations is ridiculously low. The odds of 9 woman conspiring against him is again statistically low. Which is why it's safe to say that these claims did in fact happen. It's common ****ing sense.

I don't give a shit about Jian Ghomeshi.

Nobody is claiming they were raped.

I've had one girl in my life tell all our mutual friends that I took advantage of her, but in actual fact she was the aggressor in our encounter. This was like 25 years ago, and there was never any police involved.

Google? Are you kidding?

The stats are complete bullshit. I never said rape doesn't happen. Of course it does, and when it does, the perpetrators should be prosected and penalized. That said, there is absolutley no way that you, or anybody, can put a number on non reported alleged rapes.

You can't possibly know or prove any of that. What major organizations are you referring to? Can you answer that? I don't believe you can.

I did not say that every accusation of rape should be dismissed because "a few" people have been falsely accused either. You think 5 years in jail for something you did not do is cool? 5 years?

Give YOUR head a shake man.

Where were these 9 women all these years?

#Beenrapedneverreported was trending before on twitter. Its pretty sickening the kind of stuff girls have to deal with. Just because a girl is drunk, or goes home with you doesn't grant the consent to do whatever you want to her.

The system is clearly failing women. If they don't feel comfortable reporting the crime because the victims end up on trial, or there is too much "grey area" to know what is wrong and right we as a society just aren't doing a good enough job of protecting them from sexual assault.

This is sad.

Women have to be accountable for their own actions.

Men are the ones being failed by "the system". The system treats men like criminals. You are guilty until proven innocent. All any woman has to do is say "He raped me" and your life is over. How do you not get that?

If Zeke's bathroom princess woke up the next day and decided she regretted what happened, Zeke would be in jail. But even he doesn't get it.

I believe that Ghomeshi is a violent creep, but I also believe that any woman that he's been with in the past 15-20 years could easily jump on the bandwagon and get a piece of the pie.

What financial incentive? The guy is a media personality working for a multi billion dollar enterprise. If any of the CBC employees that were under Ghomeshi (literally and figuratively) make any kind of noise, they are going to be paid off to go away.

Crazy when you think about it, but he showed the CBC pictures (without consent from the women obviously) to try to prove there was consent. As if women didn't have enough reasons not to step forward...

Crazy when you think about it, but he showed the CBC pictures (without consent from the women obviously) to try to prove there was consent. As if women didn't have enough reasons not to step forward...

What are these pics of, exactly? Jesus....what a crazy meeting that must have been.

It's part of a larger behind the scenes piece in today's Globe.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/behind-the-cbcs-decision-to-fire-ghomeshi/article21396998/?page=all

Executives at the CBC, who had long accepted Mr. Ghomeshi’s account, asked to see the detailed evidence. According to sources with knowledge of the exchange, Mr. Ghomeshi’s camp agreed, and a meeting was arranged for Thursday.

At that meeting, a lawyer for Mr. Ghomeshi presented two people from CBC management with texts, e-mails and photos of the radio host’s sexual encounters. The evidence was intended to demonstrate consent, a point Mr. Ghomeshi would later stress in a statement: “Everything I have done has been consensual.”

But the CBC managers were taken aback, and their views on Mr. Ghomeshi’s conduct changed instantly. What they saw, in their opinions, was far more aggressive and physical than anything they had been led to believe during months of discussions.

I've had one girl in my life tell all our mutual friends that I took advantage of her, but in actual fact she was the aggressor in our encounter. This was like 25 years ago, and there was never any police involved.

Google? Are you kidding?

The stats are complete bullshit. I never said rape doesn't happen. Of course it does, and when it does, the perpetrators should be prosected and penalized. That said, there is absolutley no way that you, or anybody, can put a number on non reported alleged rapes.

You can't possibly know or prove any of that. What major organizations are you referring to? Can you answer that? I don't believe you can.

I did not say that every accusation of rape should be dismissed because "a few" people have been falsely accused either. You think 5 years in jail for something you did not do is cool? 5 years?

This is sad.

Men are the ones being failed by "the system". The system treats men like criminals. You are guilty until proven innocent. All any woman has to do is say "He raped me" and your life is over. How do you not get that?

If Zeke's bathroom princess woke up the next day and decided she regretted what happened, Zeke would be in jail. But even he doesn't get it.

I believe that Ghomeshi is a violent creep, but I also believe that any woman that he's been with in the past 15-20 years could easily jump on the bandwagon and get a piece of the pie.

What financial incentive? The guy is a media personality working for a multi billion dollar enterprise. If any of the CBC employees that were under Ghomeshi (literally and figuratively) make any kind of noise, they are going to be paid off to go away.

You are missing the point.

Rape is just the most serious sexual assault women deal with it, it isn't the only one. The statistics say that 1 out of 5 women will be sexually abused (on some level) by the time they are 18. For men, it is about 1 in 10. And I think these are conservative. The thing to take out though is not just the high percentage, it is WHO is doing it. Who are the alleged? Almost always it is someone the victim knows, it is the father or step-father, it is the uncle, the older brother, the cousin, the teacher, the coach, the family friend, the close neighbour, etc

The point is, whether a girl is raped, or faces something relatively much less severe (like being grabbed inappropriately) a lot of girls have had an early event that teaches them that men are creeps. And with that kind of experience they are less likely to report because on some level they think ALL men are like that.

Google? Are you kidding?

This is sad.

I'm sorry for what that girl put you through but it sounds an awful lot like you've let your own unfortunate personal experience cloud your views on an entire gender.

Women have to be accountable for their own actions? Yikes. Sure, they do - but saying this in the context of a rape discussion makes me a little nauseous actually.

Back