• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

If I went there for a better life, fleeing war, and to raise my family - definitely.

It's still the place of your birth and where you are from ethnically. You're kidding yourself if you think you'd stop considering that a massive part of your identity.

I work with a bunch of Serbian guys. They are freaking giants. I'm 6'2, 215 and I'm the little guy in the bar.

It is a balkan region thing...parts of Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro..we are the 2nd tallest in the world behind Dutch.
For WC 2014 Bosnia team was tallest behind Dutch/Germans. (see Asmir Begovic, Edin Dzeko, etc)

Last edited:
It is a balkan region thing...parts of Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro..we are the 2nd tallest in the world behind Dutch.
For WC 2014 Bosnia team was tallest behind Dutch/Germans. (see Asmir Begovic, Edin Dzeko, etc)

I believe it. Seems they're all 6'5 at least.

I read somewhere that Milan Lucic is the smallest one of his brothers.

It's still the place of your birth and where you are from ethnically. You're kidding yourself if you think you'd stop considering that a massive part of your identity.
Especially true considering the age I left..I was not so young that i couldn't appreciate life there and have memories, but I was also not old enough to understand the reality of our existence and to have any adult responsibilities. I didn't have the perfect upbringing but my "reality" was spending 90% of my time outside with friends and cousins playing soccer and raising hell.

My dad has never had any interest in going back but he spent around 8 months in a concentration camp. I think he has some fear, but I think he's also afraid he'd see someone there who tortured him and have to kill them.

I dated a Serbian chick for a few weeks late last year. Terrible music, good sex.

They really do have a lot of hot girls(Serbs)..I didn't believe Vic until recently.

The music part. You know i must be so freakin' weird. I was around 12 years old at the time and remember listening to every type of music(started with those country songs in mid 90's..Shania Twain, Paul Brandt etc) and then moving on to rap, mostly Tupac, Eminem, etc. Eventually alternative rock, pop, reggae..Anyways, while a lot of that stuff was great, i still came back to Bosnian music and nowadays mostly listen to that(Serbian music isn't anywhere as good as Bosnian and so those guys usually listen to us). You would think after over 20 years here i'd totally be into English stuff yet i rarely listen to English music. Such a weirdo ha?

I love pretty much everything about Canada except a few things(and those are not bad just prefer Bosnian style). For example food, i prefer Bosnian much more(and i've had Greek, Italian, Chinese etc), passion(i don't know why but every Canadian friend i've had has been really boring. Had few where they were so depressing(always focusing on negatives, didn't want to go out to clubs or house parties, bars during our best years) music and passion for football(soccer) are the other. I love the fact Canada gives you better opportunities, people not hating each other so much and of course hockey(fell in love with the game first year here).

They really do have a lot of hot girls(Serbs)..I didn't believe Vic until recently.

The music part. You know i must be so freakin' weird. I was around 12 years old at the time and remember listening to every type of music(started with those country songs in mid 90's..Shania Twain, Paul Brandt etc) and then moving on to rap, mostly Tupac, Eminem, etc. Eventually alternative rock, pop, reggae..Anyways, while a lot of that stuff was great, i still came back to Bosnian music and nowadays mostly listen to that(Serbian music isn't anywhere as good as Bosnian and so those guys usually listen to us). You would think after over 20 years here i'd totally be into English stuff yet i rarely listen to English music. Such a weirdo ha?

That is quite common. ie to prefer music you grew up with and that your parents listened to.

I love pretty much everything about Canada except a few things(and those are not bad just prefer Bosnian style). For example food, i prefer Bosnian much more(and i've had Greek, Italian, Chinese etc), passion(i don't know why but every Canadian friend i've had has been really boring. Had few where they were so depressing(always focusing on negatives, didn't want to go out to clubs or house parties, bars during our best years) music and passion for football(soccer) are the other. I love the fact Canada gives you better opportunities, people not hating each other so much and of course hockey(fell in love with the game first year here).

There are a couple of Bosnian foods that I wouldn't trade for almost anything (cevapcici and burek), but I prefer Asian food overall. :) Our food is similar to Greek.

Bosnian and balkan people in general are definitely emotional, passionate, and also quite social. The former seems to be because parents practice tough love on their kids lol The latter is mostly because we are a country made up of towns and villages, aside from Sarajevo which is slightly big, (even then only 500k) but most places give you that feeling that you know almost everyone in your town.

Last edited:
After travelling around Germany and the Netherlands and across Canada HitchBot's journey comes to an end in the City of Brotherly Love. :frown2:

Despite the untimely end, HitchBOT's short trip to America included a visit to Boston's Fenway Park and even a stopover in New York City.

"My trip must come to an end for now, but my love for humans will never fade. Thanks friends," HitchBOT's official Twitter account wrote on Saturday.
http://www.people.com/article/hitchbot-robot-vandalized-in-philadelphia

Sometimes bad things happen to good robots,"

The robot, wearing yellow wellies, attended a wedding in Germany, had its portrait painted in the Netherlands and was making big plans for its cross-country tour of the U.S., including taking in some jazz in New Orleans and snapping a selfie with the Hollywood sign.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hitchhiking-robot-hitchbot-meets-demise-philadelphia-after-about-2-weeks-n402606

We have no interest in pressing charges or finding the people who vandalized hitchBOT; we wish to remember the good times, and we encourage hitchBOT’s friends and fans to do the same.

HitchBOT’s family will be available for interviews starting Sunday, August 2nd, further details will be available by August 5th.
http://m.hitchbot.me/

I hadn't been really following HitchBot's trip, but did find the occasional news story chronicling the journey and the interactions with those who picked him up rather entertaining.

R.I.P. HitchBot

link
The future of free-wheeling automated yard work took a step closer to American consumers on Wednesday after U.S. regulators gave robot maker iRobot Corp Inc technical clearance to make and sell a robotic lawn mower.

The company, known for its robot vacuum cleaner Roomba, has designed a robot lawn mower that would wirelessly connect with stakes in the ground operating as signal beacons, rising above the ground by as much as 61 centimetres.
Roomba lawn. Can't imagine many cats wanting to ride one of those. I hope my neighbour gets one. Just move the stakes, and my yard would be done too. lol

So? Why should the rest of us care about a few billionaires in Alberta? $1.20 or more per litre is just a shit kicking of another kind, and it affects the costs of many other things.

Yeah cause that's all it's hurting is a couple billionaires... not the millions of people who make their living in the field.

So? Why should the rest of us care about a few billionaires in Alberta? $1.20 or more per litre is just a shit kicking of another kind, and it affects the costs of many other things.

Because it effects a lot more than just a few billionaires in Alberta? There have been thousands of layoffs in the province over the last year. You'd be screaming bloody murder if the same happened in an Ontario industry. For reference, the amount of economic activity that has been cancelled over the last year in Alberta (shelved projects, etc), is more total money than the Ontario automotive industry puts into the Economy in a year. You think that would only effect a few billionaires?

Back