• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

Watching some of the coverage, I will say I hate when they're getting eyewitness accounts, they always were asking the people "did you get a look at the driver?" And like, this is even after the video of the guy getting arrested has been out there. Like, what are they trying to get out of these people? They really need to just ask them what they saw, and not try to push too hard, especially in the early hours of an event like this.

*9 dead, 16 injured at the moment.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty intentional from the eye witness ppl and that they said he was going for 3 kms

Well **** me...yeah, that's plenty intentional.

It's sad, but we're at the point as a society in general that we have to thinking about hardening targets from the obvious force multiplying factors in potential terrorist/lone nutter attack. Strategic use of jersey barriers, re design of streets to keep the speeding chunks of metal away from the soft squishy people would go a long way to limiting this possibility where any jerk off with a grudge and a license can rent 4000 pounds of death and mow down a couple dozen people.

Well **** me...yeah, that's plenty intentional.

It's sad, but we're at the point as a society in general that we have to thinking about hardening targets from the obvious force multiplying factors in potential terrorist/lone nutter attack. Strategic use of jersey barriers, re design of streets to keep the speeding chunks of metal away from the soft squishy people would go a long way to limiting this possibility where any jerk off with a grudge and a license can rent 4000 pounds of death and mow down a couple dozen people.

I was reading somewhere that the other side of the street had a bunch of concrete planters or whatnot that would have made it impossible to do this much damage.

CBC News Alerts

@CBCAlerts
Ralph Goodale describes Toronto incident as 'attack.' Public Safety Minister is 1st official to use that term. Also expresses deepest condolences to victims and their families.

I was reading somewhere that the other side of the street had a bunch of concrete planters or whatnot that would have made it impossible to do this much damage.

There's some planters around the street (I used to live up there a couple years ago), but only at certain areas. Most of the street is just a normal street - although incidentally the city is currently discussing how to redesign that section of Yonge, whether to put bike lanes, or larger pedestrian zones, or how to reconfigure it to make it more usable.

While this piece of shit deserves to be dead... the cop that took him down without firing a shot is a freakin hero. That's phenomenal policing. Huge kudos to him.

There's some planters around the street (I used to live up there a couple years ago), but only at certain areas. Most of the street is just a normal street - although incidentally the city is currently discussing how to redesign that section of Yonge, whether to put bike lanes, or larger pedestrian zones, or how to reconfigure it to make it more usable.

Concrete planters are actually a nice way to make it more difficult for this to happen without making public spaces feel like an open air prison.

While this piece of shit deserves to be dead... the cop that took him down without firing a shot is a freakin hero. That's phenomenal policing. Huge kudos to him.

+1

With that said, I don't want this guy dead. He clearly wanted to die. If this is a terrorist attack of Islamic root, I want that guy to get dangerous offender status and rot in prison for the rest of his life. People like him need to see that these acts don't end the way they want, it doesn't end with an exciting exit to paradise, it ends with fearing for your safety in a shitty jail for decades.

In the old days, we fought wars bravely, lining up, charging into a hail of bullets, now some loser coward with a cause rents a truck and drives into people.

It is terrible.

Back