Page 2004 of 2004 FirstFirst ... 10041504190419541994200220032004
Results 40,061 to 40,077 of 40077

Thread: OT: The News Thread

  1. #40061
    1st Liner anne25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by uncus View Post
    I think they said a total of 8 are out now.... as of this morning. But isnt there a monsoon or something on the horizon that may complicate matter even further.
    I believe that the on coming monsoon is the reason they decided to push ahead more quickly with the rescue attempt.
    Just heard on the news that divers are back in the cave and the final group are expected out sometime today.

  2. #40062
    Hall of Famer Aberdeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    This has movie written all over it.
    "In an infinite multiverse there is no such thing as fiction." -Scott Adsit, Star Talk Radio

  3. #40063
    1st Liner anne25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Everyone is now out of the cave. Health wise they are not out of the woods yet but one hopes that they all have a successful physical and mental recovery.

  4. #40064
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    68,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by anne25 View Post
    Everyone is now out of the cave. Health wise they are not out of the woods yet but one hopes that they all have a successful physical and mental recovery.
    have you heard of any health issues?

    thought they were all doing okay?

    physically anyway
    ...

  5. #40065
    Legend LeafGm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    47,905
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    have you heard of any health issues?

    thought they were all doing okay?

    physically anyway
    There's no reported issues that I've seen yet, but there are a whole bunch of potential problems that come along with being trapped in a dank cave for almost two weeks.

    That's why for now, in an abundance of caution, they're keeping the kids in pretty strict medical isolation after taking them out of the cave.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

  6. #40066
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    There's no reported issues that I've seen yet, but there are a whole bunch of potential problems that come along with being trapped in a dank cave for almost two weeks.

    That's why for now, in an abundance of caution, they're keeping the kids in pretty strict medical isolation after taking them out of the cave.
    Yep, and even if/when they all physically recover, you have to imagine the emotional trauma of the situation is going to be very hard on all of them. I mean, even trapped in a cave like that for a couple hours I think would be hard enough, can't imagine what went through everyone's minds during the ordeal, especially before they were found. Like, once you're gone for 2-3 days, you have to be thinking that this is it and that no help is going to come.

  7. #40067
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    68,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    big credit to those kids

    i think the worst part would the mental part when you are trapped with nowhere to go and no way of knowing if anybody will even find you
    ...

  8. #40068
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    68,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Myanmar-born Adul Sam-on, 14, speaks several languages, and was the only team member to be able to communicate with British divers when they were first discovered.

    It was 17-year-old Peerapat Sompiangjai's birthday when the group became trapped in the cave. The snacks the boys brought with them to celebrate are likely to have helped them survive their ordeal.

    Assistant coach Ekapol Chantawong, 25, was said to be the weakest of the group when they were found, as he had reportedly refused to eat any of the food and gave it instead to the boys.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44782132
    ...

  9. #40069
    Legend LeafGm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    47,905
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Yep, and even if/when they all physically recover, you have to imagine the emotional trauma of the situation is going to be very hard on all of them. I mean, even trapped in a cave like that for a couple hours I think would be hard enough, can't imagine what went through everyone's minds during the ordeal, especially before they were found. Like, once you're gone for 2-3 days, you have to be thinking that this is it and that no help is going to come.
    The thing that's really hard to wrap your head around is that most of the time, they were in complete darkness. Prolonged sensory deprivation, no sense of the passage of time, no way of knowing if you're running out of air, or if the water's going to rise further. That'd give a lot of hardened adults some serious PTSD, never mind a bunch of kids.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

  10. #40070
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    68,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    The thing that's really hard to wrap your head around is that most of the time, they were in complete darkness. Prolonged sensory deprivation, no sense of the passage of time, no way of knowing if you're running out of air, or if the water's going to rise further. That'd give a lot of hardened adults some serious PTSD, never mind a bunch of kids.
    kids probably handle it better than most adults
    ...

  11. #40071
    2nd Liner
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    The thing that's really hard to wrap your head around is that most of the time, they were in complete darkness. Prolonged sensory deprivation, no sense of the passage of time, no way of knowing if you're running out of air, or if the water's going to rise further. That'd give a lot of hardened adults some serious PTSD, never mind a bunch of kids.
    I think your correcf. But the one thing i thing would have helped is having each other close by ... being able to hear the voices or even touching another would have helped.
    But the dampness must have must have been played havoc with their breathing, and i wonder how cold it would have gotten in that place.
    I wonder how many lawyers are already circling the boys looking to make money off of the coach or the government itself.
    Yup definately a movie will be made.
    Congrats to the men and women who put their own lives at risk to save these youngsters.

  12. #40072
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    it's thailand. the families may get some small reparations, but nobody is taking legal action that will net money from the coach (who probably earns a few dollars a day) or the govt (let's see how much thye have to pay out to the families of the 60 chinese tourists who died last week on one of those terribly unsafe (i know from experience) phuket ferries)...

  13. #40073
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mbow30 View Post
    it's thailand. the families may get some small reparations, but nobody is taking legal action that will net money from the coach (who probably earns a few dollars a day) or the govt (let's see how much thye have to pay out to the families of the 60 chinese tourists who died last week on one of those terribly unsafe (i know from experience) phuket ferries)...
    Yep. Ideally whoever decides to make the movie about it shares a lot of the profits with them all as their way to get a little coin.

  14. #40074
    3rd Liner
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Yep. Ideally whoever decides to make the movie about it shares a lot of the profits with them all as their way to get a little coin.
    https://konvexity.wordpress.com/2013...-forrest-gump/

    (Hollywood Accounting.....)

  15. #40075
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    43,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    “Based on true events” sounds like a legal cop out for executive producers.

    Anyway, Thailand kicked ass with this rescue, though obviously the boat distaster takes the shine off. That shit has to stop.

  16. #40076
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    68,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The News Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by oscarheyman View Post
    hah

    that is funny/sad and typical
    ...

  17. #40077
    Legend zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    77,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    #FreeVladdy

Page 2004 of 2004 FirstFirst ... 10041504190419541994200220032004

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •