• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

Any society that passes laws aimed specifically at outlawing the traditional clothing of a specific minority religion is to some degree backwards, intolerant and fearful of other cultures, yes.

And I don't really accept that there's any real rationale to pass such a law except for plain and simple xenophobia.

Yeah, I hear you on this.

Really, when you get right down to it, niqabs and all the rest are all about the subjugation of women, and nothing else. It's a constant reminder to the woman wearing it that even something as basic as their own physical appearance belongs solely to the men in her life---father, brothers or spouse.

But even with that being said, I can't get past the fundamental contradiction where you're going to empower women by legally taking away their ability to choose how they adhere to their religion, and what they wear in public. And I just don't see how any such law could ever square with a true societal commitment to freedom of religion.

If that's you're narrow definition of backwards, intolerant and fearful of other cultures, that countries such as Germany who brings in a million refugees who's leader, Angela merkel said that face coverings are “not acceptable in Germany” is racist, then its my opinion that your opinion is flawed.

Last edited:
On an entirely personal level, I think religion is mostly complete hogwash other than the shit that says "don't be dicks to each other."
Heh. As someone who had the misfortune of growing up in a crazy Christian church, I'd say that about sums it up.

Can't say I've met many Muslim women who wear a burqa but the ones I've talked to re: hijab all express that it's extremely important to them and they choose to happily wear one... they don't see it as an oppressive thing whereas if someone dictated they couldn't wear one on a city bus... that'd be something they would see as oppressive.

The fact that city buses are included pretty much betrays that its stated purpose (safety concerns) is BS.

Yeah totally. Lots of religions have conservative dress codes, and if they want to wear that all the power to them. Hijabs aren't much different from what Nuns wear, or orthodox Jews.

Burkas are real ****ed up though. And its most likely the case that those wearing them don't enjoy the free will to decide for themselves. Otherwise we'd see a lot more of them in secular society.

Also funny how the SCOC, the charter of rights and freedoms, the Canadian parliament, multiple prime ministers, governor generals, and the Canadian public at large, abandoned and ignore every injustice suffered by hundreds of thousands English speaking Canadians who happen to live in quebec, leaving them to their fate, but suddenly are up in arms about the 200 or so women who are going to be effected by this*

Again, if quebec has managed maginalize, repress and otherwise make life hell for English quebecers for decades I really doubt they are going to lose out on this case.

Muslim women can do what English speaking quebecers have been doing since the 70s. Move.

* in fairness, the Prime Minister is treating this with the exactly the same level of indifference that Canadian prime ministers have for English quebecers.

Andrew Sheer as well, noticeably silent on the issue.

Last edited:
On an entirely personal level, I think religion is mostly complete hogwash other than the shit that says "don't be dicks to each other."

Even that stuff basically only says "don't be dicks to people who look like you, act like you, and of course worship the same god as you....anyone else can be killed, made into a slave, keep his women, whatev."

Even that stuff basically only says "don't be dicks to people who look like you, act like you, and of course worship the same god as you....anyone else can be killed, made into a slave, keep his women, whatev."

I've only really studied the Bible closely (grew up in the Church) and I'd say it actually clearly says not to be a dick to anyone, even if they're "sinners", even if they're dicks to you, even if they're foreigners. etc. People just... conveniently ignore the best shit in the Bible.

I've only really studied the Bible closely (grew up in the Church) and I'd say it actually clearly says not to be a dick to anyone, even if they're "sinners", even if they're dicks to you, even if they're foreigners. etc. People just... conveniently ignore the best shit in the Bible.

The great/awful thing about religion is that people just pick and choose the parts they acknowledge/ignore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst thing about religion has always been the people who followed it.

Untrue.

The worst has always been those that abuse it. Usually leadership. Preying on the dimwitted is far more foul than being dimwitted.

absolutely religion is a tool of control and oppression.

but in my more cynical moments, i end up thinking that most people need religion to scare them into being good and productive.

Do they "ignore it" or are they too human to live up to the ideals?

Everyone is a sinner.

but in my more cynical moments, i end up thinking that most people need religion to scare them into being good and productive.

Never pegged you as much of a cynic. But cannot say I have not shared the same sentiment at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And another point for everyone hoping/banking on the SCOC squashing this law.

The quebec liberal party is taking the most moderate position in quebec on this with bill 62.

Should this get squashed guess who gets to point at the ROC and say that it's evidence that Quebec cannot protect its values within confederation?

Just another reason I really don't see much coming from this. Quebec has always been allowed to do its own thing, I don't see that changing.

Ironically, there very good Darwinian reasons why humans created religion to govern human interaction and explain the natural world.

BUWyzSe.jpg

But....wait this wasn’t supposed to happen.

:lol

You know they haven't ****ing brexited yet, right? They are still a part of the common European market.

In fairness to johnny, people did jump up and down pointing at the how the stock market reacted to the brexit vote as justification for why it was a mistake.

The UK was still a part of the EU and common market the day after the vote too.

Back