• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

There is a reason Obama couldn't change anything. There's a reason all presidents straddle the middle. There is a reason trump would be the most ineffective president in history. What senate or congress would work with the guy? His own party hates him. He could win on pure populism, but couldn't rule.

He already rules.

exit-sign-open.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

link
OFL president Sid Ryan confirmed a grievance has been filed by a staff member with respect to the camera. He says he was told cameras were installed in the building “for security reasons” but says he had no idea there was a hidden camera in the reception area until it was discovered by a staff member this summer.

Ryan blames former president Wayne Samuelson’s administration for installing the camera, but Samuelson told the Star: “I know one thing — it was not me. I never put in any secret cameras. It’s not something I would ever do. It’s not in my DNA.”

Samuelson, who was president from 1997 until 2009, when Ryan was elected, produced an OFL invoice that he says suggests the “spy” camera was purchased and installed long after he left office.

“It was put in under his (Ryan’s) watch . . . and at the end of the day he (Ryan) spends half of his life blaming me for stuff,” Samuelson said. “It’s an interesting story, the Ontario Federation of Labour using spy cameras.”

Ryan said the invoice appears to be for a new monitoring system that he says has nothing to do with the camera in the exit sign.

Said Ryan: “I had zero knowledge of a hidden camera in our office . . . it was installed before I became president.”

He provided the Star a letter said to be written by a former building superintendant, which said: “I . . . was authorized/instructed by Wayne Samuelson about eight years ago to install cameras in the building.”
Ruh Roh....
Unions have better politics than politics.

link
Just four months after forming a Canadian subsidiary, the world's second-largest brewer is targeting dominant rivals Molson Coors (and Inbev's Labatt).

"To say that we're going to overtake the two big boys would be a bit of stretch so I would be happy to settle in at No. 3," said general manager Paul Verdu.

To get there, SABMiller Canada hopes Miller Lite -- which used to be available in Ontario and Newfoundland but hasn't been sold in the country since 2010 -- will steal market share from dominant players Coors Light and Bud Light.

Miller Genuine Draft, previously sold for about 20 years through a partnership with Molson Coors Canada, and premium brands such as Peroni, Pilsner Urquell and Grolsch will also be sold in Canada, though primarily outside Quebec.

All of SABMiller's products will be imported from the United States or Europe.

tumblr_msvk8c5Odd1r72ouro2_.gif

link
Following a highly critical report and unprecedented legal action by Ontario’s privacy commissioner, Toronto police have taken steps to keep U.S. border police from automatically accessing records about a Canadian’s suicide attempts — sensitive personal information that could result in being denied entry.

“This is a huge, huge achievement and a significant advancement in terms of mental health issues,” said former Information and Privacy Commissioner Ann Cavoukian, who in her final year as privacy watchdog took on what she called the “perplexing” and “indiscriminant” disclosure of suicide attempt incidents by police.

“You don’t have to be branded by a mental health mistake,” she said.
... and this is why it was always a bad idea to simply give U.S. Authorities unfiltered access to all our information here under the auspices of their own "National Security." What the hell kind of national security risk is some person who once swallowed a bottle full of pills decades ago??
Kudos to our Privacy Commish.

So, back in 2013, this happened:

imrs.php

One man was asleep in the bedroom of that house, and was lost in that sinkhole.

Sinkhole_Swallows_Man_0f38d_image_982w-220x300.jpg

His brother jumped in to save him, but could not find him. Rescuers pulled his brother out, and had to abandon the search for the victim because the sinkhole was unstable, and continuing to enlarge.
The house was demolished.
Fast forward to this week. This happened at almost the exact same spot:

sinkhole1.png

Guess what they found in the sinkhole?

Sinkhole_Swallows_Man_0f38d_image_982w-220x300.jpg

He's full of shit. I assume it was some sort of attempt at humour.

It was not a good one.

I was at a condo site last fall where we were consulting on a dewatering well system that they had been running. I looked into the manhole where the discharge from the pumps was going and noticed a shit load of sand and silt had accumulated from our wells. Supervisor at the site said that they noticed it and they were cleaning it out regularly. Sure enough, all that sand was creating a void down below the Site. Massive sinkhole formed that basically destroyed the natural strength of the soil. Very expensive building redesign was needed.

Saw some other sinkholes due to the Eglinton subway extension. They try and grout up the around the tunnel as they drill it, but sometimes they get voids outside the tunnel that allows a lot of water to flow (kinda like a conduit underground) and this allows sand/silt to flow creating large voids and ultimately sinkholes. Very expensive stuff.

The Markets have been due for a while now; you can't manipulate something that big and not expect repercussions.

Don't worry, it'll only be us little people that lose anything.

That is some serious contrarian investing skills (or shorting, or bonds) for that to happen. Or, as you say, luck.

Last edited:
Back