• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

China is apparently losing patience with North Korea and has banned North Korean coal shipments to China...which makes up about 1 Billion of North Korea's 17 Billion dollar GDP...about 6%. To put that into context, the Canada oil industry pumps about 67 Billion to Canada's ~1.8 Trillion dollar GDP...so somewhere in the range of 3%

It's the economic equivalent of Canada losing 2 oil industries...not just the oil sands, but the entire ****ing oil industry. Newfoundland, refineries in Montreal and Ontario, distribution, the whole ****ing thing, twice.

For a busted ass, broken ass, 3rd world ****show of cult like leadership and starvation.

unfortunately it will only be the common people who suffer by such sanctions. the leadership will continue to live in their fantasy world.

That's hardball, but perhaps risky. I think Un will need to cool it, or else he needs to watch his back. But surely China doesn't want a regime collapse. What a mess...

China is apparently losing patience with North Korea and has banned North Korean coal shipments to China...which makes up about 1 Billion of North Korea's 17 Billion dollar GDP...about 6%. To put that into context, the Canada oil industry pumps about 67 Billion to Canada's ~1.8 Trillion dollar GDP...so somewhere in the range of 3%

It's the economic equivalent of Canada losing 2 oil industries...not just the oil sands, but the entire ****ing oil industry. Newfoundland, refineries in Montreal and Ontario, distribution, the whole ****ing thing, twice.

For a busted ass, broken ass, 3rd world ****show of cult like leadership and starvation.
And he won't care.

Let them eat cake.

He figures getting a deliverable nuke will give him leverage for sanctions to be lessened and a seat at the table.

That's hardball, but perhaps risky. I think Un will need to cool it, or else he needs to watch his back. But surely China doesn't want a regime collapse. What a mess...

i don't understand why china cares. the symbolism of north korea is long past its expiry date. what value do they gain in propping it up?

i don't understand why china cares. the symbolism of north korea is long past its expiry date. what value do they gain in propping it up?

NK is still leverage. And they want stability, I assume, rather than a civil war and migrant crisis on their border.

And he won't care.

Let them eat cake.

He figures getting a deliverable nuke will give him leverage for sanctions to be lessened and a seat at the table.

It's a major revenue source and could hurt the kleptocracy. Potentially dangerous for him.

Well maybe Aliens. Was listing to Neil degrasse Tyson on Joe Rogan yesterday and he was talking about how its possible to observe changes in the atmosphere's of planets and determine the chemical composition of the atmosphere and whether the planet is creating elements required for life, like oxygen. So that's the next step.

20 years ago we weren't even aware of planets outside of our solar system.

Getting pretty close to discovering aliens.

C5SfOnCXUAIE08K.jpg:large

The current farthest probe we have out there is Voyager 1. It was launched in 1977 and now, 32 years later it has travelled 15.64 light hours, or about 4.5 thousandths of 1 percent of 40 light years.

Guinness World Records can confirm at this time that the record for the Fastest spacecraft speed, defined by its heliocentric velocity (i.e., relative to our Sun), is held by Helios 2.

Helios 2 achieved geocentric speeds during the late 1980s, when it was travelling almost directly away from the Earth as it moved around the Sun. At its fastest in January 1989, Helios 2 was moving away from Earth at a speed of 356,040 km/h (221,232 mph).

40 light years is a distance of 378,429,218,903,232 km (378.4 trillion kilometers).

Distance = Rate * Time, solve for time,

(378,429,218,903,232 km) / (356,040km/hr) = Time

Time = 1062883998.72hours, which converts to 121333.79 years.

We really got to figure out how to travel the speed of light.

Back