Page 1896 of 1954 FirstFirst ... 89613961796184618861894189518961897189819061946 ... LastLast
Results 37,901 to 37,920 of 39068

Thread: OT: The News Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: The News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    adorable. you get overwhelmingly corrected on your wildy erroneous race-based theory of terrorism, but still pretend to be right, then deflect with the typical conservative snowflake persecution excuse.
    Race-based.

Do you know what race means?
    blacksheep: "You just live in a fantasy world where you think the more you save for yourself now the more you'll have when you retire".

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Labeling people is a reflexive action.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    You know, there's some good conversations going on but I'd really like people to pull back from the insults. I'm making a conscious effort to do so and hope others will too. It's ok to disagree but disagree with the point being made. Unfortunately we live in a highly vitriolic political environment and it really needs to be toned down and discussed. Without it, no middle ground will ever be achieved.
    If I'm going to be incorrectly called a racist (didn't know Islam was a race) then I'm going to double down on calling someone an idiot.
    blacksheep: "You just live in a fantasy world where you think the more you save for yourself now the more you'll have when you retire".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leaffan2005 View Post
    Nice rebuttal. An amendment protecting the right to die. That's where you are willing to go to avoid talking about guns being a hell of a lot more scary than the big bad Muslim guy living down the street. And drug abuse has been on the rise (as has access to new and more potent drugs like fentanyl) so the average American may not be as informed as you may believe on its fatality risk. We should just forget about these things though and spend all our time on Islamic terrorism.
    I like gun laws, I was in favor of the gun registry in Canada, and I supported Quebec's effort to make it's own.

I'm also a realist and acknowledge that the gun lobby has a very firm hold on the American political class and the conversation is a non starter. People are more afraid of the government restricting their access to high powered death tools than they are of the high powered death tools. As many have said, if sandy hook didn't lead to better gun control, nothing would, and it didn't, so I've accepted the fact that nothing will, and I effectively don't care about it anymore. Americans have made their bed, they can sleep in it.

As for drug abuse, misinformed americans or not, fentanyl isn't scary to the non drug using crowd.

Do note that I haven't said we should focus on terrorism. We shouldn't. Not enough people die from acts of terror for people to be so concerned about it.

Killer bees on the other hand? There really should be more focus on that.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corksens View Post
    If I'm going to be incorrectly called a racist (didn't know Islam was a race) then I'm going to double down on calling someone an idiot.
    My statement wasn't directed at one person but the thread participants in general. Not everyone throws out insults.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

My statement wasn't directed at one person but the thread participants in general. Not everyone throws out insults.
    Shut up, fag
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more worried about dishonest arguments than alittle name calling, personally.

What zeke and BKerr said today was factually wrong - but they won't admit it. And they will most certainly continue spewing the same incorrect rhetoric.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are trying to make a "most likely to die" statement and exclude a major event by one day, then you are dishonest.
    Yeah, that's why I proposed a few alternative modern events. So counting since the first truly "modern" operating system, Windows XP, sounds like a good cutoff, right? That was in October 2001, for reference. Or since everyone's on a phone all the time, we can count since cell phones started becoming really popular, which would have been around 2003 with the Razr (or 2007 with the iPhone).

Or we can count since September 12th, since before then, nobody even remotely considered terrorism, and it's been since that point that the US and the rest of the world has really gone out of their way for security. So if we're talking about the current odds of getting killed, would be nice to count only times since modern security procedures have been put into place, no?

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that you have such a problem with petty insults, but no issue with somebody celebrating the death of innocent Muslim lives.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more worried about dishonest arguments than alittle name calling, personally.

What zeke and BKerr said today was factually wrong - but they won't admit it. And they will most certainly continue spewing the same incorrect rhetoric.
    you have been clearly shown that your idea that muslims are responsible for most terror deaths is laughably wrong. you were even clearly shown that one of the "debunking" articles you relied on for your knowledge blatantly lied to you.

yet you hold onto your prejudiced beliefs regardless, because that is how prejudice works.
    #TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

Race-based.

Do you know what race means?
    I know enough to know that there actually is no working definiton of race.

racists aren't aware of that, though.
    #TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

Then of course comes the crux of the argument.

So even though they represent 1% of the total US population, that 1% is responsible for a total death toll of 119 vs. 106 (if you believe that number).

By your own link, you are still more likely to die at the hands of radical Islam in the USA.
    What percentage of the population are Alt-Right White Nationalists?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    According to the New America Foundation, jihadists killed 94 people inside the United States between 2005 and 2015. During that same time period, 301,797 people in the US were shot dead, Politifact reports.

But Trump is right about at least one thing: Americans are more afraid of terrorism than they are of guns, despite the fact that guns are 3,210 times more likely to kill them.

In 2016, Americans’ number-one fear was “corruption of government officials”—the same top fear as in 2015. Terrorist attacks came second. In fact, of the top five fears, two are terror-related. And number five is not fear of guns but fear of government restrictions on guns.

https://qz.com/898207/the-psychology...-to-kill-them/
    Fake News. Cherry Picked Stats. Muslims = Bad. YUGE

Post Thanks / Like

Let's start with not erroneously stating that you are more likely to be killed by white supremacists when that isn't the case?
    In the last 15 years. It is the case. The numbers don't lie.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, there's some good conversations going on but I'd really like people to pull back from the insults. I'm making a conscious effort to do so and hope others will too. It's ok to disagree but disagree with the point being made. Unfortunately we live in a highly vitriolic political environment and it really needs to be toned down and discussed. Without it, no middle ground will ever be achieved.
    I was trying to. Then I got called an asshat.

Post Thanks / Like

The numbers are the numbers.

You can't handle them, so then you start saying they are wrong and start calling people names. You can't argue intellectually so you resort to name calling. Its child-like behaviour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SundinsTooth View Post
    And just slipping under the wire and slightly less likely is having your genitals mutilated by a muslim doctor.
    1 Doctor, number of victims estimated to be in the neighborhood of 100 girls.

Yet another barbaric practice that has no place in the western world.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

- George Carlin

Make America Great Again!

- President Elect Donald J. Trump

Post Thanks / Like

yes, and that doctor will be prosecuted under the law. just like the many practicers of various extreme christian groups get prosecuted for child marriage and child rape.

yet your vice president recently approved legislation which tacitly made it LEGAL for "doctors" to cure homos via electrocution.

does that barbaric practice have a place in the western world?
    #TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

You're an idiot.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

- George Carlin

Make America Great Again!

- President Elect Donald J. Trump

Post Thanks / Like

In other news, North Korea basically killed that US student who stole a banner last year: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/otto-wa...died-1.4168166

At some point, you almost feel like the rest of the world just needs to go in and liberate them from whatever crappy existence it must be in that country.

Page 1896 of 1954 FirstFirst ... 89613961796184618861894189518961897189819061946 ... LastLast