• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

A lot of it depends where you want to go. Yeah, I mean if you're backpacking through Thailand or India, maybe you want to be sure you have all the medication and toothpaste you need for the trip. But if you're going to the US or Europe, I mean, you can still get Advil or Tums (or a local equivalent). It's not like their pharmacy/apotheke are that different from back home. Heck, it can even be a "fun" activity on the trip to see what the local H+M or mall is like if you need to grab a new shirt or sweater if you have something unplanned.

But it does depend a lot on that you plan to do while there. If you need to pack a bunch of different pairs of shoes for different activities, then sure that can definitely add up. But if you can get away with a single pair for basically any activity you need to do, and, gasp, maybe be under-dressed for the one concert you go to on the trip, then don't bring it along.

True, enough to drop it below 10 000 and half its value from December.

That's brutal.

It's trading at 11,500 to 12,000 on every exchange at the moment with an 11,600 average which was about it's price on December 5th. All that's happened is the insane 100% gains people got in that 10 day run up have evaporated.

It's too early to say that it's found it's floor in the 11K range, but the bleeding seems to have stopped. It dipped below 10K for a couple of hours and it appears that was a big buy signal for a lot of people.

Newsweek @Newsweek
A passenger who wore ten T-shirts to avoid excess baggage fees was booted off a flight in Iceland bit.ly/2ESqexf

#hero

cheap ass

I used to know a bunch of friends that would go on an annual Vegas trip and just get one suite for Superbowl weekends. They would just go to a Vegas Walmart & buy a few inflatable beds & just return them at the end of the trip (it actually was a Walmart worker that told them to do that!). No, I wasn't those people. I'm cheap, but I ain't THAT cheap.

Course this was a while ago, and I doubt Walmart is so easy on these returns today.

Last edited:
Replace the word God with Allah and try to convince yourself that this didn't happen in Saudi Arabia

A state district judge in Comal County said God told him to intervene in jury deliberations to sway jurors to return a not guilty verdict in the trial of a Buda woman accused of trafficking a teen girl for sex.

Judge Jack Robison apologized to jurors for the interruption, but defended his actions by telling them “when God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it,” according to the Herald-Zeitung in New Braunfels.

The jury went against the judge’s wishes, finding Gloria Romero-Perez guilty of continuous trafficking of a person and later sentenced her to 25 years in prison
http://www.statesman.com/news/crime...-defendant-not-guilty/ZRdGbT7xPu7lc6kMMPeWKL/

David Livingston was found guilty today in relation to the destruction of gas plant documents. Charges he was convicted of were much reduced from the original breach of trust.

what are people's thoughts on Conner Neurauter? He is a student at University of Calgary. He was convicted of sexual interference with a minor, and sentenced to three months in jail, to be served after the conclusion of his semester. he will also be a registered sex offender for the next 10 years. from what I can gather, he had a brief relationship with a 13 year old, got naked photos from her, and then extorted/blackmailed her threatening to disseminate said nudies.

people are up in arms demanding his expulsion. he has currently been banned from campus, although not expelled. personally, I think the uproar is ridiculous. he has been convicted of a crime, and punished by the courts. where does the university get off imposing punishments in addition to those decided upon in a court of law. and, by banning him from campus, the university is basically acknowledging that they will succumb to the wishes of the angry mob, and ignore the justice system. I find that pretty terrifying...

of course, there are people who believe that he should be expelled because of the heinous nature of his crime. but I don't see how you can hold that position and also respect our courts and justice system... unless we assume that all convicts are irredeemable and as such should not be allowed to pursue higher education...

I can find links if people want...

Just because the courts impose a penalty it doesn't mean other people can't do more.

I don't know the particulars more than you mentioned, but I don't really mind a university essentially saying no to sex offenders. Once his name is off the list, then maybe he can come back. Of course, ideally you reach a compromise - complete the education online or by mail, for example.

how are sex offenders supposed to rehabilitate themselves and become productive members of society if we allow institutions to discriminate against them?

and is it then okay to deny someone who is serving and will complete their court imposed punishment a university education?

If they think he's a safety risk to have on campus, I have no qualms with them banning him as long as it's a policy and not a pick your own adventure type situation.

It's 2018, not being able to be on campus doesn't stop you from taking online university courses.

He absolutely has a right to access education. He doesn't have the right to do it in person and have others be forced to interact with him though.

Back