• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

DHxmKWiVoAAXhDT.jpg:large

Wow, you can see slightly less of the sun if you stick your head in a cardboard box. Science is awesome, but the partial eclipse is kind of a letdown. Would definitely rather burn my eyes by staring at some cleavage than staring at what that was.

Yeah, pretty big waste of time. Pretty funny to see everyone's home-made eclipse viewing paraphernalia. Not like it did anything, but still.

I had someone tell me not to worry...if I couldn't find glasses specifically for the eclipse, just grab a pair of those 3-d glasses you get everywhere...they'll do.

I had someone tell me not to worry...if I couldn't find glasses specifically for the eclipse, just grab a pair of those 3-d glasses you get everywhere...they'll do.

lol... sounds brilliant.

That said, I find it funny that people think the eclipse has some sort of special power to blind you. Staring at the sun will damage your eyes... the eclipse has nothing to do with it.

lol... sounds brilliant.

That said, I find it funny that people think the eclipse has some sort of special power to blind you. Staring at the sun will damage your eyes... the eclipse has nothing to do with it.

That is not exactly true as apparently the rays shot out from the side of the moon are more blinding. However, you are right, if you stare at a regular sun for too long, you get blind.

The problem is you don't feel the damage being done, there's no pain.
Now on a bright day you can barely look at the sun, but during an eclipse you can as it gets darker...but your pupils are not as dilated, and the rays that are visible are every bit as dangerous.

I think that's the issue.

Why would they be more blinding than staring at the entire sun?

Its more blinding because when you look at the sun normally, your eyes have the natural reflex to look away or blink.

When there is a partial eclipse and the light isn't quite as strong, you can stare longer without blinking which allows the rays to damage the retina.

Weren't you in the total eclipse zone? I believe you were. We got 80%, it was pretty cool.
We actually got like 98% coverage here. Apparently it was about a 25 minute drive to see 100% coverage. Didn't realize that until it was too late.

The site needs an overhaul thanks to hack attempts. It is working through Tapatalk for now. I'm getting a complete server rebuild done. It'll take a few days.

Back