• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leaf Rumours

By no means am I saying Poni's irreplaceable. But I think Wilson recognizes he's a useful player on the team, and unless he gets something of value in return, he's not going to throw him away.

I mean, it's not THAT easy to find a 20G 50Pts player who is defensively reliable, can kill penalty, and gets along with everybody in the dressing room, and can be a mentor to the young Russian kids. Actually, now I think about this, he's the last Russian veteran on our team.

We lack size on our top lines and Poni does the job effectively. As long as he puts 20-30 goals and works hard every night (which he does), i won't complain. Chemistry on this team is pretty darn good right now and i hate messing with that especially when it comes to our top forwards. Yes we can get this guy and that guy but i believe in team chemistry more than anything...You can have a team full of star players and still suck...Rangers had done a good job at that for many years.

I totally agree with that assessment by Wilson. Ponikarovsky has never really used his size in a way that I'd like, but setting that aside he's a good player. It's just frustrating that you get the sense he could be a much better player if he threw his weight around a bit more.

maybe St. Louis would like Mayers back in a package... some "veteren presence"

They don't seem like a team though that wants any expiring contracts... if not I would send Stajan and Mayers for Backes.

Poni is the only impending UFA that I hope we keep.

The rest I would leave on the side of the curb with the rest of the trash.

Can't see why they would want Mayers back, considering they are probably still chuckling to themselves about swindling us out of a third round pick for him.

I would trade Poni for Backes in a heartbeat. Stajan? That's an interesting one, I think I'd do that too if they prefer him.

could be. but you've gotta love guys who are 6'3 230, can drop em, bang along the boards, and have 30 goal seasons under their belts.

even if he never gets back to 30 he'll have his uses. and he's the sort of big, strong aggressive player this team could use.

I think though this year he fancied himself a goal scorer and hasn't played that aggressive game. He has something like 8 PIMS...

If I were his coach I'd tell him to be ahuman wrecking ball and just go out their and hit something.. then maybe the goals will come back

wow, he's Kulemin-sized.

hmm.. kulemin for backes. that might work. ship out a couple of underachievers. the blues get a guy who is maybe a little more offensive oriented, the leafs get a big body who can goto the net, play in the corners, actually throw his weight around, drop the gloves AND score.

There's no doubt that Backes is a bit of a risk, but that is the reason we might be able to get him at a discount in the first place.

I wonder if they might bite on an offer of Kulemin for Backes. I'd have to think about that one, still hoping he can figure things out in a Leaf uniform. I'd much rather ship out Poni or Stajan. As mentioned earlier, would love to know what they want for him.

The other thing to consider is that he's definitely a Burke type of winger.

I'd avoid making any more deals with St. Louis for their expensive, fallen from graces, players.

JD and Larry Pleau are no fools.

Kulemin feels like the type of player that we'd trade and he'd instantly turn into a 70 pt player.

The leafs did that a lot with guys like Modin/McCauley/Sullivan

I wouldn't describe it as a boner

and, of course, Kuly's not making $2.5 nor is he getting 17 minutes a game nor is he getting prime PP time. and 3 points in 11 games is better than 2 points in 15 games.

Back