• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: CFL Thread

Amazing how I missed the news that Chad 85 is playing in Montreal. Just saw that he hugged an official after his first TD.

He also tweeted that he's been issued about 14 parking tickets since arriving in Montreal. The green onions are having their way with him.

Saturday, July 12th, 2014
cflcgysm.png
Calgary - 34
cfltorsm.png
Toronto - 15

Final

Hoooooooly moly the Als are bad.

None of the QBs they have are worth a thing. Gonna be a very, very long season.

Hoooooooly moly the Als are bad.

None of the QBs they have are worth a thing. Gonna be a very, very long season.

If it was the only problem. Our defence sucks badly too. We are indeed missing calvillo a lot. Hard to accept when the Alouette were among the best team in the last 10 years and now we'll probably be the worst.

If it was the only problem. Our defence sucks badly too. We are indeed missing calvillo a lot. Hard to accept when the Alouette were among the best team in the last 10 years and now we'll probably be the worst.

I don't think they are missing Calvillo that much as he was also far from his best in the past couple of years. The Als just never planned properly for his retirement and seemed to waste years having Mcpherson as Anthony's back-up.

It was really interesting hearing Jim Popp on BC radio last week when he was asked about coach Higgins. He said "I had nothing to do with that so I can really say much".

I knew that ownership hired the new coach but it sure didn't sound like the GM and coach are thrilled with the current set-up.

I don't think they are missing Calvillo that much as he was also far from his best in the past couple of years. The Als just never planned properly for his retirement and seemed to waste years having Mcpherson as Anthony's back-up.

It was really interesting hearing Jim Popp on BC radio last week when he was asked about coach Higgins. He said "I had nothing to do with that so I can really say much".

I knew that ownership hired the new coach but it sure didn't sound like the GM and coach are thrilled with the current set-up.

The Als wasted three years of Calvillo at the end. The first year, not their fault, the defense was completely ravaged by injuries. By the Eastern Semis, they only had one player starting on defense that had started in game 1. The rest of 'em were out with injuries. Just one of those unfortunate things. And even then, they were in overtime in the Eastern finals and if not for a Whitaker drop that he caught all year long, they would have had the first down & who knows what happens.

Second year, the defensive coordinator was horrible. Just awful Als played like shit on defense all year & Calvillo bailed 'em out time & time again to get them home field advantage in the Eastern finals. And despite the defense playing completely atrociously, the offense kept them in it to the end. Brian Bratton dropped a Calvillo pass when he was wide open in the endzone with ~30 secs left in the fourth quarter. Had he caught that, the Als would have more than likely won & gone to the GC. And then the third year, the Dan Hawkins fiasco. If we had a real HC, who knows, maybe Calvillo never gets injured. And with the best defense in the league, they might have done better.

I don't think the Als defense is bad as much as it is overused. Troy Smith is no good and he can't do sustained drives. 2 & out, defense comes back in.

Gonna be a long year.

re: Popp, the reason he wasn't consulted on the hiring of Higgins was because he wanted to stay as coach, so ownership considered it a conflict of interest. What I don't understand is that Mike O'Shea, who's currently coaching Winnipeg, has been seen as a good up & coming coach and we passed on him two straight off seasons. I don't completely understand why.

They played the worst defense in the league and only mustered up 5 points.

What. A. Mess.

Yep. It is brutal....again.

At least the riders are playing a bit better....too bad they are not in the east.

Yep. It is brutal....again.

At least the riders are playing a bit better....too bad they are not in the east.

Just when the Bombers are decent again, they are back in the West. LOL

Anyway expansion is hurting the league right now, very watered down.

Back