• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: CFL Thread

Whoever makes the decision to start Glenn should be fired immediately. He is abysmal.

The Als offense has been much like the Habs PP the last couple of years where you actually want to decline it so that you don't get scored on by a return INT (short-handed goal) and having the defense on the field (5 on 5 in hockey) seems like a more favourable way to score some points.

Popp should be fired for starting Glenn all the time or he should be fired for having no one better than Glenn after months of this crap.

According to reports Jim Popp, while he hasn't been fired, will not be on the sidelines anymore beginning tonight in BC. Don't know who is taking over (Thorpe, Calvillo?) but I guess I'll find out since I'm going to the game tonight.

According to one unnamed player, everyone in the room have already tuned Popp out. The players just ignore him and only follow what the coordinators tell them.

I'll bet that's exactly what will happen this season with the Habs. The players will listen to Muller and just tune Therrien out completely.

Maybe the als will actually run the ball without Popp calling the shots.

Also it appears Glenn has lost the starting job so I may actually watch a game now.

Why would you spend a dime to watch such pathetic failures?
money? Nah. Time to watch them on TV? Sure.

I wasn't watching with Glenn. No way. But I'll watch and see if Cato or Adams have potential. Especially Adams. This cluster**** of a year and no first round pick because popp traded it for him. He had better have some potential.

Kevin Glenn traded

To Wpg. for 2018 4th rounder.

CFL News ‏@CFL_News 13m13 minutes ago
TJ Heath & #Argos 1st rd pick in 2017, 3rd rounder in 2018 to #Bombers for Drew Willy. #CFL via @olearychris

#Bombers then turn around and trade for Kevin Glenn, using a fourth rounder from 2018. #CFL #AlsMTL

Jim Popp, the only GM that the Alouettes V 2.0 have ever had, is gone.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...al-manager-jim-popp-leaves-montreal-alouettes

8 Eastern Division championships, 3 Grey Cup titles and a rekindled fan base: all tremendous accomplishments. But he stuck around past his best-before date. He never adequately replaced Anthony Calvillo and his ego was his undoing. As good a GM as he is Popp is not and will never be a competent head coach.

On the other hand, Popp was perhaps the only GM in the CFL who really had no say in who his head coach would be. Ownership always decided for him and that's why we got clunkers like Dan Hawkins and Tom Higgins.

Right now it appears as though ownership is prepared to remove the "interim" tag off of Jacques Chapdelaine. There are pros and cons to such a decision. On the plus side, the team won 4 of its final 6 games under Chapdelaine. One more win and they'd be hosting a playoff game next week. He also put his stamp on the team by cutting Duron Carter and Brandon Whittaker which seemed to resonate positively with the players. On Saturday after the Als beat Hamilton one player after another (including veterans like Nik Lewis) praised Chapdelaine's leadership and said openly that they wanted him to be back next season.

And let's also not forget that Chapdelaine, for what it's worth, is a "pur laine" who "la majorite" can relate to. That fact is irrelevant for a franchise like the Habs, which will sell out their games with any coach as long as they win, but for the Als, if having a Francophone coach helps them sell tickets they can't ignore it. So perhaps Chapdelaine has done enough to earn a shot as the head coach.

On the negative side, however, is this: most anyone who becomes a GM wants to have the power to hire his own coaching staff. Are the Als going to be able to attract the best man for the job if they tell him on Day One that he has to keep Chapdelaine as his head coach? It's never a good thing when a coach doesn't answer to his GM. Now perhaps they find a GM who agrees that Chapdelaine is the best man to coach the team going forward but who knows? Additionally, we shouldn't be overly impressed with the job Chapdelaine did. He took over when the season was pretty much a lost cause and he lost just enough games to make the last 2 games (both Alouettes victories) essentially meaningless. It's good that the players showed enough pride to have two come-from-behind wins to end their season but remember that both Calgary and Hamilton rested their starting QB's and still nearly won both games.

All I know for sure is that the Als cannot go a third season in a row with no playoff appearances. In Montreal you have to win to remain relevant unless you're the Habs (and even then...)

Wow those new Als jerseys are ugly. should be the final nail in the coffin for this team. However they score a touchdown on the first drive..

Back