Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1119

Thread: OT: Vacations

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: Vacations

Quote Originally Posted by number17 View Post
    Oh yeah, 1 more thing ... buy JR Rail pass before you go to Japan. It gives you access to all JR trains and subways (but only JR subways) ... once you're in Japan you can't buy it.
    Work out the math first. Depending on where you go it may be cheaper buying individual tickets. But if you're going from Kyoto to Tokyo it may very well be worth it.. and if you're making a round trip? It's a downright steal.

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent three weeks in Japan in 2015. My two cents.

I handled Kyoto/Osaka as one destination. 15 mins commute on their high speed train. Days were spent in Kyoto -- great for nature and temples. Back in Osaka for dinner -- great food, vibrant nightlife and more abundant and cheaper accommodation options.

Kyoto lunch at http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...ure_Kinki.html

Get there early at 11 (no resos at the counter). The guy is a tempura master. Constantly adjusting the oil temp so that the batter is never greasy or heavy. Only the freshest ingredients (seafood, veggies, legumes, nuts) get the treatment. He hands you one finished item at a time. Mind blown.

Tokyo is out of this world. You'll discover your own path, and it'll be amazing. I would avoid getting up at 5am to check out the mega hyped tuna auction at the overcrowded fish market . The sushi is great almost everywhere. if you want the ultra fresh affordable sushi breakfast, the fish market Osaka delivers the same taste (sans lineup)

My fave Tokyo hoods were classic Omotesando/Harujuku and

Shimokitazawa -- think of a rundown East Village from the 90s where every store is a vintage shop or a live music venue. There is a crazy coffee joint (with the only rude store owner in Japan) where you can get patented espresso shots. Check his website for hours when he's serving up his precious
    http://www.bear-pond.com/

I would spend whatever time left over from Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka down south. Miyajima is a great scenic spot to just chill and refresh for 24-36 hrs

I really loved Kagoshima. Ate like a king for about half of what it costs me in Toronto. Also enjoyed Fukuoka and Kumamoto. Even the food in Tokyo was affordable. For example, at Bistro Jill, I ordered a duck leg stuffed with some Foie for $18 (tax and tip included). In Toronto, I'm paying at least $35 plus tax and tip.

Final thoughts.

Order a mobile wi-fi thingy.
    https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/index.html
    I paid $80 for unlimited data. It was waiting for me at my first hotel (and I gave the delivery envelope to my last hotel) You'll never get lost with google maps and you can use tabelog (Japan's yelp) to point at food shots so your waiter can figure out what you want.

As Hoglund said, travel light. I packed a week's worth of clothes in a weekend bag. Got my laundry done at one hotel, did my own laundry at my Kagoshima hotel. Picked up a few emergency tees at Uniglo.

Look into a 2 week rail pass. Those high speed trains make zipping around the country a pleasure.
    Last edited by CH1; 02-12-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    I spent three weeks in Japan in 2015. My two cents.

I handled Kyoto/Osaka as one destination. 15 mins commute on their high speed train. Days were spent in Kyoto -- great for nature and temples. Back in Osaka for dinner -- great food, vibrant nightlife and more abundant and cheaper accommodation options.

Kyoto lunch at http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...ure_Kinki.html

Get there early at 11 (no resos at the counter). The guy is a tempura master. Constantly adjusting the oil temp so that the batter is never greasy or heavy. Only the freshest ingredients (seafood, veggies, legumes, nuts) get the treatment. He hands you one finished item at a time. Mind blown.

Tokyo is out of this world. You'll discover your own path, and it'll be amazing. I would avoid getting up at 5am to check out the mega hyped tuna auction at the overcrowded fish market . The sushi is great almost everywhere. if you want the ultra fresh affordable sushi breakfast, the fish market Osaka delivers the same taste (sans lineup)

My fave Tokyo hoods were classic Omotesando/Harujuku and

Shimokitazawa -- think of a rundown East Village from the 90s where every store is a vintage shop or a live music venue. There is a crazy coffee joint (with the only rude store owner in Japan) where you can get patented espresso shots. Check his website for hours when he's serving up his precious
    http://www.bear-pond.com/

I would spend whatever time left over from Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka down south. Miyajima is a great scenic spot to just chill and refresh for 24-36 hrs

I really loved Kagoshima. Ate like a king for about half of what it costs me in Toronto. Also enjoyed Fukuoka and Kumamoto. Even the food in Tokyo was affordable. For example, at Bistro Jill, I ordered a duck leg stuffed with some Foie for $18 (tax and tip included). In Toronto, I'm paying at least $35 plus tax and tip.

Final thoughts.

Order a mobile wi-fi thingy.
    https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/index.html
    I paid $80 for unlimited data. It was waiting for me at my first hotel (and I gave the delivery envelope to my last hotel) You'll never get lost with google maps and you can use tabelog (Japan's yelp) to point at food shots so your waiter can figure out what you want.

As Hoglund said, travel light. I packed a week's worth of clothes in a weekend bag. Got my laundry done at one hotel, did my own laundry at my Kagoshima hotel. Picked up a few emergency tees at Uniglo.

Look into a 2 week rail pass. Those high speed trains make zipping around the country a pleasure.
    Agree the Tina auction can be skipped but I thought the shashimi at the market was second to none. Also, the market just outside of the fish market was worth the stroll (and getting refused service at the food stalls for being white).

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Also agreed that you’re fine to stay in Kyoto or Osaka and day trip
    To the other. If you’re a night person def stay in Osaka, as Kyoto (with a few exceptions) quiets down late night.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, got a good hotel reco for Kyoto if you’re staying there. Great location and good value (paid 120 a night for basically a bachelor condo)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 to the wifi hotspot. Check out tocoo. They were the cheapest rate for me for the three weeks. Never had an issue.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Other pro tip— if you are on bell and using roam better, but don’t want it on all the time, the days are based on eastern time ( so when I used the phone at 11am and 1pm japan time on the same day it counted as two days with the bell pirates).

Post Thanks / Like

Ended up booking a trip to Aruba. Under $1000 for accommodation and flight with Sunwing and Air BNB

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been there. It's relaxing.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbow30 View Post
    Other pro tip— if you are on bell and using roam better, but don’t want it on all the time, the days are based on eastern time ( so when I used the phone at 11am and 1pm japan time on the same day it counted as two days with the bell pirates).
    I got burned that way once with Telus. I bought a European plan but mistakenly put the wrong day down so when I started to use it at 8:30am in Paris, it was only 11:30pm the day before so I was charged $50.00 for 1/2 an hour. They cut it in half which was cool but you can get burned if you don't think of the time.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deckie007 View Post
    Ended up booking a trip to Aruba. Under $1000 for accommodation and flight with Sunwing and Air BNB
    Damn, well played man. Enjoy
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OT: Vacations

Now a days, itís so cheap to get a local unlimited data plan for 3/7 days or a month - basically shut down my Telus plan while travelling around the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Damn, well played man. Enjoy
    thanks Mang. Cancelled my Cleveland plans when I saw the flight.

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What a hard decision eh? Cleveland or Aruba in February. Hmmm, tough decision.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soco22 View Post
    Now a days, it’s so cheap to get a local unlimited data plan for 3/7 days or a month - basically shut down my Telus plan while travelling around the world.
    Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I mean, Rogers will charge you like 10$ a day to "roam like home". Or you can buy a local prepaid sim card for like 15 bucks which gives you 10GB of data.

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I mean, Rogers will charge you like 10$ a day to "roam like home". Or you can buy a local prepaid sim card for like 15 bucks which gives you 10GB of data.
    True, but when a vacation costs $20,000+ what is another $100.00 or so?
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    True, but when a vacation costs $20,000+ what is another $100.00 or so?
    Still $100. If you get $100 off a $20,000 car, guess what? It's still $100. If you get $100 off of groceries it's the same thing. Still $100. No better or worse than any other saving.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya but if you thought that way you wouldn't have a good setup for posting how impressively expensive your vacations are.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah who the **** is spending 20 grand on their vacations? Yikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoglund14 View Post
    Yeah who the **** is spending 20 grand on their vacations? Yikes.
    After a certain point, comfort passes over into pretension.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast