• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Vacations

Sure, if you're spending 20k on a vacation, then giving an extra 100 bucks to Rogers means nothing. But for us plebes, 100 bucks is a solid chunk of change.

who doesn't spend 20k on vacations?

I do wonder how people can go away for like $1,000.00 for a week. I went to SF for a weekend in September and it was probably $5,000.00. I went to Regina for hockey with my son and it was probably $2,000.00 including hotel, car rental food.

Christ, I swear our baggage fees at times are a few hundred.

My deposit on our river cruise in Italy in July is more than what that guy spent on an entire holiday

FML

I do wonder how people can go away for like $1,000.00 for a week. I went to SF for a weekend in September and it was probably $5,000.00. I went to Regina for hockey with my son and it was probably $2,000.00 including hotel, car rental food.

Christ, I swear our baggage fees at times are a few hundred.

My deposit on our river cruise in Italy in July is more than what that guy spent on an entire holiday

FML

probably because they are not including all costs (food, drinks, shopping, taxis, etc)

$1000 (per person based on double occupancy) for an all inclusive if you never leave the resort is doable

going on a trip to the mountains this weekend and that will likely be over a grand

with two ppl it adds up fast
550 for 3 nights in hotel
400 for lift tickets
200 for drinks
200 for gas
400 for food
100 in illegal BC wine
98789577348989534 in PST

It all depends on where you go ... anywhere in the US is "expensive" and personally, to me the US is not all that appealing at all. For the most part you go to the same restaurants, same shops ...

Wife and I went away to Portugal and Spain for 14 days and spent under $4k COMBINED. And we weren't purposely trying to 'travel cheap' either, it's just Spain and Portugal happen to be relatively 'cheap' countries. Plane tickets were $650 each, hotel averaged ~ $80 per night, and we had a wonderful trip with good food and good fun. (There's nothing worth shopping for anyways)

Just don't travel in the US (or Western Europe) if you don't wanna get ripped. And you'll have an even better time.

I know some people who are going to Hollywood for a 50th birthday. They rented some mansion for $10,000.00 for the week split three ways, so not bad. Then one guy who I know as a family does not have all that much coin apparently had a hemmorhage at the cost of front of the line tickets for Universal. Ah the nickel and dimeing of holidays.

Granted, my holidays cost more because usually other than for hockey, we go away once a year for 3 weeks. There are three of us so we need a bigger room, and now that he is older, no longer eats off the kids menu etc. On the river cruise, we need two rooms as they only fit two per room etc./ We also stay in hotels, not BnB and we prefer to be in 4-5 star right in the big touristy areas so of course, we pay more. We also made the mistake of flying home 1st class once so now Europe is usually first class there and back. Oddly enough, our travel agent often finds good air for only maybe 2000 more than economy for the three of us.

Once he no longer goes away with us, then the cost of our holidays will drop by 1/3 or so.

When we were young like most of you here, we didn't spend this on vacations, we went to Paris for 5000 total once.

I'm heading off to Europe for 6 weeks (mostly work, then a big of vacation). I figure:
-1k for the flights
-1k for the first month accomodations (long term stay)
-1k for the first month food/entertainment (basically 30 bucks a day to eat out, with some days eating cheap from the grocery store, and drinks are cheap so don't need to blow a ton going out)
-Then for the last 2 weeks of vacation, can probably hostel it for ~30 bucks a night (so, say 450). Probably 40 bucks a day for food (600), another 25-30 bucks a day for tourist stuff (350), and then say another 300 for trains/flights between cities. Maybe a few hundred more in incidentals (daytrip tours, or shopping, or other splurges)

So, all in all, probably going to be about 5k total for a 5 week trip, although the 5 week business portion of the trip will probably be cheaper overall than 2 weeks of travelling (especially since flights and hotels for the business trip get reimbursed/deducted). But yeah, obviously when you're travelling with a family, you can't stay in a 20$ a night hostel, and it's very easy to add up if you eat out at nicer places, spend more for airfare, check bags, go on more tours, etc... And obviously depends where you go - as mentioned, the US is pretty damned expensive, but if you're going through, say, eastern Europe, it can be damned cheap. When you're getting a full meal with a beer in a nice restaurant for about 10 euro, that's so damned nice.

I mean.. granted I got the flight and hotels for free through credit card churning... But I only spent $3500 for two for three weeks in Japan, eating very very well I may add.

i am too old for hostels

I'm starting to push the limits too, both in terms of what they would take, and being able to handle them. I know sitting in one this summer watching the Big Lebowski, and then someone checked the year on it, and a couple of the girls were talking about how it came out before they were born. No wonder they could stay up late partying and still be able to wake up at 5AM to catch the sunrise.

That being said, I've also stayed in one where some 50+ year old woman came in with 2 massive suitcases, and then proceeded to snore all night.

no i can't do hostels or motels anymore, but plenty of good deals on abnb. Except for the expensive cities in Europe, like Paris, London, any Swedish cities, any Swiss cities ... I can find downtown accomodation for $100-140 per night in most cities.

so.......

heading to china in may

any tips?

it is a tour deal....

Shanghai
Suzhou
Wuxi
Hangzhou
Bejing

taking my mother in law for her retirement celebration
she speaks mandarin so i think that will help

I just got back from a trip. I stayed in London and watched Tottenham/Huddersield at Wembley, and saw Stonehenge, and even was in town the crazy day that Russian spy got poisoned (It was close to Stonehenge). Then I went to Iceland and went into a Volcano, had a different leg on each side of the techtonic plates of N.America/Europe, and saw the Northern Lights.
I now want to backpack in Switzerland in the Alps. Anyone ever done that?

Last edited:
I'm off to Utila, Honduras on Tuesday for about a week of scuba diving. Also coincides with their version of spring break, and Utila is the party island, so could be an interesting time.

Back