• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Vacations

I find the Japanese market fascinating

Lots of olds in need of pain management but extremely harsh weed laws. Australian growers will benefit when Japan accepts the health benefits.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jmbgzy/the-battle-for-medical-marijuana-in-japan

Fascinating maybe, but I think you're looking at a loooong term play there with other EU markets getting really interesting way before Japan makes any real moves in this direction. Asia is likely to be the slowest to change, if they change. There's already legit movement everywhere else aside from Asia.

Cheap?

You're basically limited to Cuba and Mexico

Going solo makes resorts a no go because they're usually priced based on double occupancy.

Might want to look into Veracruz. Nice spot on the gulf coast, outstanding food, quite safe, nice people. Flights from Buffalo are usually half what they are from Pearson and because it's not a massive tourist location, you can usually score decent Airbnb spots in the 30 dollar a night range.

another option that I've heard is nice is Merida. About an hour from Cancun, so the benefit of cheap flights from Pearson saves some time and aggravation in having to fly out of Buffalo.

Looking to go somewhere cheap and warm in the next few weeks. Going solo. Any suggestions?

Club Med may be an option. Not likely to be the cheapest option. I went with my family to their Turks and Caicos location. Lots and lots of singles, adults only, good food, and lots to do. Facilities are old and slightly run down. Think this particular location may seem to cater more towards singles.

Thanks guys, keep em coming. Don't care too much about resorts, so somewhere I can fly to and Air BNB is good with me

Thanks guys, keep em coming. Don't care too much about resorts, so somewhere I can fly to and Air BNB is good with me

Dominican then is a great option. I have a friend who takes February off each year, and spends the month at a rented apartment down there. Think he uses airbnb, right on the waterfront, little security patrol. Think he's in a bit of an 'expat village'. If this is something you're interested in I'd be happy to make some inquiries and get more info

What's the budget? I mean "cheap" means different shit to different people.

Because I keep hearing awesome things about Medellin. But you're looking at about a grand for the flight alone and it's tough to do in 7 days. 14 days though and you're probably in a nice condo in Medellin with flight for 1600ish. Food and booze would be cheap as well and Colombia is apparently way safer since the treaty with FARC was signed a couple of years ago.

Because I keep hearing awesome things about Medellin. But you're looking at about a grand for the flight alone and it's tough to do in 7 days. 14 days though and you're probably in a nice condo in Medellin with flight for 1600ish. Food and booze would be cheap as well and Colombia is apparently way safer since the treaty with FARC was signed a couple of years ago.
Yeah have about a week. Colombia sounds like fun though, I've heard good things. Budget is $1000.

Yeah have about a week. Colombia sounds like fun though, I've heard good things. Budget is $1000.

Have you considered Cleveland?

I kid, I kid.

For 1K I would strongly consider Merida or Playa Del Carmen. You can score flights for about 500 to Cancun, and you can get into cheaper airbnb stuff for 20-25 CAD a night in either. Both are within driving distance to different sets of ruins/archeological sites, Playa has good nightlife. Playa is on one of the best beaches in Mexico (Merida is a bit inland) but close enough to the water to spend a fair bit of time there. A day trip to cozumel is possible from Playa as well. Both have access to good cenotes for swimming or diving.

Actually, now having looked at it. I'd do Playa personally over Merida. For a grand I don't know how many other options you've got. You might be able to score a cheap flight to the DR or Cuba and cheap airbnb it there.

Maybe a dumb question but wouldn’t it affect your credit score. All the hits from them looking and then cancelling the cards?

Yeah but people care far too much about credit scores. If it's just okay it shouldn't impact much.

With that said I started churning three years ago and my credit score has actually jumped to 760. Just keep your oldest cards and pay off your balances on time. it won't have much of an impact.

the booze is pretty cheap. the food isn't cheap. the coke is very cheap.

unless you're on th caribbean coast, not a palce i'd go if you want some heat/sun (and note that the beaches aren't great).

bogota and medillan are elevated, so it's usually pretty cool there.

that said, definitely recommend checking it out. it's an amazing country. take a look at pics of valle de cocora in salento. ****in incredible.

Wife and I are staying at the Grand Sunset Princess in Playa del Carmen, we leave on Tuesday can’t wait!

Back