• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Vacations

Has anyone on here visited Peru? I know that Intrepid offers a week-long Inca Trail tour. You get to see a bit of Lima, Cuzco, and then Macchu Picchu. It's reasonably priced and looks like a good introduction to the country for the first-timer.

Has anyone on here visited Peru? I know that Intrepid offers a week-long Inca Trail tour. You get to see a bit of Lima, Cuzco, and then Macchu Picchu. It's reasonably priced and looks like a good introduction to the country for the first-timer.

I am planning a trip there for 2016. I will be going with the girlfriend. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Guy in my office went there he loved it but a native stole his phone.

I'm not surprised. My girlfriend lived there for a few months on exchange in university and the shitty areas are rife with natives looking to steal from gringos apparently.

Most of Lima is pretty ugly, but there are some nice spots. Miraflores is where you want to stay. Generally speaking, trouble is very easy to find in parts of Lima, but also not terribly difficult to avoid.

I spent a month there a few years back. There is so much to see there. The only drawback is how far away everything that you'd want to see is from everything else. Machu Picchu is a fair hike from Lima. Nazca lines and lake Titicaca are also pretty popular destinations.

I really enjoyed Peru, but I had a gf from there and had met a ton of Peruvians before I went, so I had a really solid group of people around me.

I love the food too.

Definitely a worthwhile country to spend some time in.

One thing I would say though, don't be fooled by the fact that it's on the equator, or that the weather channel says it's 20 degrees in their winter. It is cold at night. Also the seasons are somehow reversed in the mountains, ie: Cusco, where Machu Picchu is near. July is the time to visit, but for the coast you'd want to go in January.

I almost bought a place there. Just things didn't work out with my chica or I might be there now.

Good surfing too, if that's your thing, but again, the water is freaking cold. Need a wetsuit for sure.

See, I don't hate on everything Latin American.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. My girlfriend lived there for a few months on exchange in university and the shitty areas are rife with natives looking to steal from gringos apparently.

They got to take their swings, man. You don't walk off the island.

The Metropolitan Museum is good, Guggenheim too(but its modern art so may not be your thing). If you have the cash and time, see a Rangers game at MSG.

I was there in November and really liked the Statue of Liberty visit. For 18 bucks, you get a boat ride and the audio tour of both Liberty island and Ellis Island, with the immigration centre. The boat ride alone is worth it if it's a nice day.

MoMa has probably the best modern art collection on the planet, if that's what your thing. It's basically the 20th C in two hours.

I usually spend most of my time walking around and eating (Lower East Side, Soho, Chelsea) and I hang a little in Brooklyn (Roberta's Pizza is a magical place)

Heading to New York City next week. First time. Any suggestions? Will be there Thursday to Sunday.

1) Broadway: https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths puts all the unsold seats for that days performances on ridiculous discount. Catching a musical is basically a must do in my opinion.

2) Skip grimaldi's...ridiculous lineup for good pizza, but there are other places that do outstanding NY pizza without waiting for 45 minutes to get in. It's a tourist trap that I fell into. But finding a wood or coal fired, NY style slice is an absolute must.

3) Brooklyn....is not what it used to be. A lot of serious hipster enclaves with interesting shops. Barclay centre is stupid easy to get to from Manhattan....go watch Tavares play.

4) Met & Moma are both legit. Check what exhibit is on at the Guggenheim before you commit to go...the one I saw was painful.

5) Micro brew tours in Chelsea

6) Plan for your return trip to NY, 3-4 days isn't enough.

Cabs are useless for the most part, so I would strongly suggest learning as much about NY's subway system as possible (a lot of express trains, and it's a bit more complex than the TTC) and using it for just about all of your transportation needs. Anything worth doing in NYC is within a short walk of one of the train lines.

Last edited:
Grimaldi's is not even top 30. Co is my absolute fave. Roberta's is great pizza and much more. The same chef/owner has a Michelin star next door. I also love Marta because it has a thinner/lighter Roman style crust. If you prefer Napoli style, Motorino is a good bet.

Yeah, no cabs. I'm getting a 7 day subway pass. Think I figured out it'd be worth it if you took 11 trips and I think we'll easily do that.

Yeah, no cabs. I'm getting a 7 day subway pass. Think I figured out it'd be worth it if you took 11 trips and I think we'll easily do that.

Depending on where your hotel is, that's doable in 2 days. Seriously, the NY subway system is ****ing outstanding for getting to everything. On a typical day, I was leaving the hotel, train to breakfast. Wander that neighbourhood for a bit, train to lunch in the area of whatever the **** I was doing as my major activity for the day, train back to the hotel, relax for a bit, train to dinner, find a bar in the area for drinks, train back to hotel.

late show at comedy cellar

+1

And if you manage to be in Brooklyn, The Knitting Factory can be good. Hannibal Burress used to host every week there. Still pops in from time to time.

NYC is one of those cities that it really pays to scour the cultural listings (in something like Time Out). So many times you get there and you realize that one of your fave bands/comics/entertainers is performing that night.

One thing I have to do next time is check out Book of Mormon.

+1

And if you manage to be in Brooklyn, The Knitting Factory can be good. Hannibal Burress used to host every week there. Still pops in from time to time.

NYC is one of those cities that it really pays to scour the cultural listings (in something like Time Out). So many times you get there and you realize that one of your fave bands/comics/entertainers is performing that night.

One thing I have to do next time is check out Book of Mormon.

+1

You aren't getting those tickets on discount though....that shit is sold the **** out every show.

Back