Page 366 of 368 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368 LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,320 of 7358

Thread: OT: NFL thread

  1. #7301
    Legend Habs4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    41,902
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    I disagree. Kaepernick has done far more to generate media attention and mainstream awareness than any other single protest.
    I think people are talking more about him than discussing the issue. He brought attention to himself, not the issue.

  2. #7302
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    it is very weird

    the suns protest the immigration stuff - that is fine

    the dallas stars oppose the bathroom bill - that is fine

    CK (and others) protest the murder of black people by cops - ZOMG WHAT IS WRONG WITH CK

    of course this country would go on to elect Trump so what do you expect
    ...

  3. #7303
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    60,655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    it is very weird

    the suns protest the immigration stuff - that is fine

    the dallas stars oppose the bathroom bill - that is fine

    CK (and others) protest the murder of black people by cops - ZOMG WHAT IS WRONG WITH CK

    of course this country would go on to elect Trump so what do you expect
    We live in the same country that elected both Rob Ford & Denis Coderre to two of its' three biggest cities. Don't think the people here are all that different. (For what it's worth, if I had a gun pointed to my head, I would have voted Trump over Hillary and without much hesitation, either.)

    And the biggest difference is something WeHave wrote - one of his rare intelligent rambles I might add - about CK directly going against one of the major sponsors of the NFL, the US Military.

    While other people had protests, none of them protested the American flag & anthem and everything those symbolized. That is what alienated CK from so many people. He backtracked a little after realizing what he did, because CK isn't much more than a simpleton only to prove later on that he's mostly just talk, see his pigs dressed as cops socks, his Fidel Castro shirt and him not voting.
    Last edited by GGpX; 08-11-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    Elite goaltending will hide a lot of a bad team's flaws and make them look a lot better than they truly are. That's why Carey Price is the single most important player to his team in the NHL.

    My new poorly written out thoughts on this season's Montreal Canadiens.

    "Remember guys, your life could always be worse. You could be so ugly, broken and miserable that feminism actually sounds like a good idea." -Milo Yiannopoulos

  4. #7304
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    trump thing was a joke

    CK should be applauded for what he did

    a peaceful and effective protest (effective in generating awareness - probably not in actually stopping cops from killing black kids)

    i know americans are rah rah flag wavers but when the flag gets turned into speedos and bikinis i dont think anybody can take the high road about kneeling for the anthem
    ...

  5. #7305
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,754
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Zeke has been suspended for 6 games.

    http://www.tsn.ca/cowboys-elliott-su...ppeal-1.827911

    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. When you insist on drafting thugs you get what you get.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  6. #7306
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou View Post
    Zeke has been suspended for 6 games.

    http://www.tsn.ca/cowboys-elliott-su...ppeal-1.827911

    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. When you insist on drafting thugs you get what you get.

    You are so full of shit. He is suspended for something the prosecutor and cops didn't even deem worthy of a charge. It is typical kangaroo court by Goodell. All the investigators/panel that determined the suspension are Giants' fans or season ticket holders. No bias there.

    Hopefully he and Jones don't take this sitting down and go right to court. It is clear Roger Robespierre overstepped on this one. Josh Brown for the Giants abused his wife for years and got one game. Zeke isn't even charged and got six games.

    Seems totally fair to me.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  7. #7307
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    65,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    brady was also innocent
    ...

  8. #7308
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    brady was also innocent
    I know you are just being your typical comedic self, but there is no comparison between the two matters. On the one hand, you have a player who likely attempted to affect an outcome by doing something against league rules and then deliberately destroying the phone where he probably told guys to do it. He was suspended on some vague personal conduct code for an event for which he was no even arrested and for which the police basically said the complainant was lying. Roger Robespierre and his hand picked lackeys said, oh we believe her based on what we saw and say he abused her. I guess they deem themselves better than the officers who investigated the matter.

    He also said Zeke provided no evidence to say he didn't do it, gee imagine having to prove a negative.

    Jones is allegedly furious. This won't end well for the NFL.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  9. #7309
    Legend BKerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    The NFL does not work on the standard of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

  10. #7310
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Zeke won't take this sitting down

    https://twitter.com/PatrickClaybon/s...85493707816960
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  11. #7311
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,754
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    The NFL is not a democracy. Goodell's word is law. This decision is not about burden of proof it's about optics. The league cannot be seen to be giving their tacit approval of its players assaulting women, which is exactly what the perception would be if they failed to suspend Zeke and hid behind legalities such as the lack of physical evidence or corroborating witnesses.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  12. #7312
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou View Post
    The NFL is not a democracy. Goodell's word is law. This decision is not about burden of proof it's about optics. The league cannot be seen to be giving their tacit approval of its players assaulting women, which is exactly what the perception would be if they failed to suspend Zeke and hid behind legalities such as the lack of physical evidence or corroborating witnesses.
    so what you are saying is he was suspended just to make the league look good?

    you are aware the alleged victim asked her friend to lie about the incident right saying Zeke did something he didn't do, and the friend has sworn an affidavit to that effect?
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  13. #7313
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    NFL fan base is way more pro-police and pro-military, they cultivate it.
    New England Patriots - 2017 Super Bowl Champions

  14. #7314
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    142,543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Naw, every sport has color guard, excessive flags, fly overs by the air force, choppers often, paratroopers dropping in and interviews with veterans.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  15. #7315
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Zeke's appeal is over. Goodell and his henchmen look worse each day. The lead investigator, Kia Roberts, who actually interviewed the complainant, recommended no suspension. She was barred from the deliberation by Giants fan Lisa Friel.

    Looks more and more like kangaroo court.
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...XMrJpW6gn_oMGg
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  16. #7316
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    We live in the same country that elected both Rob Ford & Denis Coderre to two of its' three biggest cities. Don't think the people here are all that different. (For what it's worth, if I had a gun pointed to my head, I would have voted Trump over Hillary and without much hesitation, either.)

    And the biggest difference is something WeHave wrote - one of his rare intelligent rambles I might add - about CK directly going against one of the major sponsors of the NFL, the US Military.

    While other people had protests, none of them protested the American flag & anthem and everything those symbolized. That is what alienated CK from so many people. He backtracked a little after realizing what he did, because CK isn't much more than a simpleton only to prove later on that he's mostly just talk, see his pigs dressed as cops socks, his Fidel Castro shirt and him not voting.
    Aaron Rogers seems to think he has a point.

    Also, he didn't go after the military, he went after the police. Now pro law and order hellya types easily conflate the two, but there is a big, big difference in how they interface with African Americans. And his choice of sitting down during the anthem/colours may have enraged, but it more than anything else sheds light on the value of citizenship and double standards.

    So, maybe he is a simpleton, but it's one helluva coincidence that he was right on the nose with his protest. He poked the bo-bo real good.
    New England Patriots - 2017 Super Bowl Champions

  17. #7317
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Naw, every sport has color guard, excessive flags, fly overs by the air force, choppers often, paratroopers dropping in and interviews with veterans.
    There is major financial relationship between the NFL and DOD.
    New England Patriots - 2017 Super Bowl Champions

  18. #7318
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    60,655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by lecoqsportif View Post
    Aaron Rogers seems to think he has a point.

    Also, he didn't go after the military, he went after the police. Now pro law and order hellya types easily conflate the two, but there is a big, big difference in how they interface with African Americans. And his choice of sitting down during the anthem/colours may have enraged, but it more than anything else sheds light on the value of citizenship and double standards.

    So, maybe he is a simpleton, but it's one helluva coincidence that he was right on the nose with his protest. He poked the bo-bo real good.
    Absolutely he did. It's like someone using a shotgun to shoot at a home invader. When he shoots, his intent might be to hit the intruder, but with a shotgun he ends up shooting the wall, glass, valuable objects, etc as well as the intruder. All things he didn't plan on damaging, but...

    Whatever his point might be, when he directly went after one of the NFL's biggest sponsors (inadvertedly or not), mixed with being a mediocre at best player and a (another one of my favorite key words, along with ka rek tur & poh 10 sial) distraction, I don't know how anyone can wonder why he's unemployed.
    Elite goaltending will hide a lot of a bad team's flaws and make them look a lot better than they truly are. That's why Carey Price is the single most important player to his team in the NHL.

    My new poorly written out thoughts on this season's Montreal Canadiens.

    "Remember guys, your life could always be worse. You could be so ugly, broken and miserable that feminism actually sounds like a good idea." -Milo Yiannopoulos

  19. #7319
    Legend BKerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    The Flag and the Anthem stand for FAR, FAR more than the military.

    I don't know where the idea came from that disrespecting the flag or anthem means the military, and it appears to be a widely held belief, but its not correct.

    The Flag and Anthem also stand for the constitution, the history of a country, culture, people, institutions, system of government and so much more than just the military.

  20. #7320
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: NFL thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    The Flag and the Anthem stand for FAR, FAR more than the military.

    I don't know where the idea came from that disrespecting the flag or anthem means the military, and it appears to be a widely held belief, but its not correct.

    The Flag and Anthem also stand for the constitution, the history of a country, culture, people, institutions, system of government and so much more than just the military.
    People are projecting.
    New England Patriots - 2017 Super Bowl Champions

Page 366 of 368 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •