• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: NFL thread

Spanking is not illegal, child abuse is. In between is a big gray line, at what point is it too far, what is too much? I think there is more education to be done in those cases than jail time. I just fail to see how jail time is going to help either side.

That being said, I don't know all the details of this specific case.

Getting spanked is one thing. Have cuts and bruises and probably not being able to sit without pain for a week is another.
The pictures were pretty bad.

Do you need a video? :p

Getting spanked is one thing. Have cuts and bruises and probably not being able to sit without pain for a week is another.
The pictures were pretty bad.

Do you need a video? :p

Just to be clear, I think what he did is wrong. However, I'm not as clear cut on the measures to be taken.

Also, as more facts comes in, it does sound more and more like a case of child abuse.

The reactions of some in this thread are the reason that there is law in the law of evidence that states that unfairly prejudicial evidence will not be admissible. The pictures likely would be admitted but it could be argued they are unfairly prejudicial because the sympathy people feel for the little guy due to the graphic photos make you want to convict him more for the result than the action.

I'm glad you have it figured out.

So the blood is the line? If he doesn't bleed it's legal, if he does it's not?

No... blood is a sure sign that it's child abuse. Without seeing what happened it's impossible to know what happened if there's no physical evidence.

This is a four year old child. Anything beyond a little swat on the ass or hand is too far. If there are visible signs of an assault then it's way overboard.

Finally a relatively quiet day for the NFL.

Carolina Panthers announced defensive end Greg Hardy will be on leave as he appeals a conviction for assaulting a former girlfriend, the NFL team said Wednesday.

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Detectives in Phoenix arrested Jonathan Dwyer, a running back with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals, on Wednesday on charges of aggravated assault in connection with two alleged incidents of domestic violence in late July, a police spokesman said.

The Phoenix Police Department gave few details, but said the incidents involved a 27-year-old woman and an 18-month-old child. In an email, Sergeant Trent Crump said Dwyer "admitted to the incidents, however, denied any physical assaults."

Crump said the 25-year-old player was booked into Maricopa County Jail on one count of aggravated assault causing a fracture, one count of aggravated assault involving a minor, two counts of criminal damage, one count of preventing the use of a phone in an emergency, and assault.

At this rate Roger the Good is going to quit.

It is typical though, you get one high profile incident and boom a bunch of others follow. People will be up in arms, the pregame shows on Sunday will spend half their hour talking about it, then we will watch the games and not care.

I think Universal Pictures has found the plot for The Purge 3... it will be an extended purge that follows NFL players from the moment their season is over to when camp starts up again.

Mike Wise
The commissioner needs to answer how he let a celebrity gossip web site, in effect, discipline Ray Rice like he should have.

Katie Nolan
We should all be applauding Tampa Bay for their courageous decision to boycott the NFL

What was up with Deion Sanders crying like a baby when congratulating Hester for beating his record? The NFL is getting more bizarre by the day.

Nothing cocky about implying that had it been reversed there would have been 200 posts about it.

I missed the entire game up to the point that Claiborne had the INT late in the game. I don't see how the Cowboys should be thrilled with beating the Rams who are missing their #1 QB. The fact that they came from 21 points behind might be good for Romo but why in the world did they fall behind like that to begin with?

Why is Coach Garrett hugging Claiborne like the guy just won the SB for the Cowboys? You can tell the coach is dreaming of another 8-8 season.

Rams scored on opening drive. Murray fumbled on our possession, they beat Claiborne for long TD. Romo INT for TD. Then we came back. I dont like falling behind either but better to come back from 21 down to win rather giving up 21 point leads like we have done in recent years.

Claiborne was hugged as he could be blamed for two TDs against but didnt give up and stuck with it.

Back