• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: NFL thread

This will give Cowboy haters like Wehave and Krust hope.

On three previous occasions, the Cowboys have started a season 9-1, 1976, 1983 and 2007. Each time, they failed to win a playoff game, losing to the Rams in 1976 and 1983, and the Giants in 2007.

Contrary to Wehave's belief, Romo was not the QB for all three of those playoff losses.

Cowboys are looking good David :thumbup:

I laughed this morning when I heard Michael Irvin said they should lose to Washington to keep them honest and focused. Yeah, lose to a division rival....sure Michael....sure

Cowboys need to keep winning....and then rest everyone when they clinch home field through playoffs (i think they will...these rookies have balls of steel)

I just find it hard to believe there are still people who think we should have taken Ramsey over Zeke.

I just find it hard to believe that there are still people who don't think the best offensive line in football can make even mediocre running backs into 1,000 yard backs despite having no QB.

Only if Ramsey turns into less than an elite corner will it be the right choice but even then, the odds are Ramsey will have a longer career because Zeke has a very physical style.

I just find it hard to believe that there are still people who don't think the best offensive line in football can make even mediocre running backs into 1,000 yard backs despite having no QB.

Only if Ramsey turns into less than an elite corner will it be the right choice but even then, the odds are Ramsey will have a longer career because Zeke has a very physical style.

True but a 1000 yard rusher given plenty of touches isn't special anymore when its barely 60 years a game . Zeke maybe a 2000 yard rusher , a freak of nature talent . His combination of power , balance , agility and speed is unmatched in this league right now .

There is no way an average RB is doing what Zeke is doing in Dallas this year. Just like Romo wouldn't be 10-1 replacing Dak from day 1 .

True but a 1000 yard rusher given plenty of touches isn't special anymore when its barely 60 years a game . Zeke maybe a 2000 yard rusher , a freak of nature talent . His combination of power , balance , agility and speed is unmatched in this league right now .

There is no way an average RB is doing what Zeke is doing in Dallas this year. Just like Romo wouldn't be 10-1 replacing Dak from day 1 .

I don't understand how you could be so oblivious to this point.

2015: 7 players rushed over 1,000. McFadden was fourth in rushing in the NFL (14th in yards / carry)
2014: 13 players rushed for over 1,000. Murray was first in rushing in the NFL before falling off the face of the earth in Philly because, surprise surprise, they had no O-Line. In 2016 he's back o a team with an O-Line and his numbers are back. Shocker.
2013: 13 players rushed for over 1,000.
2012: 16 players rushed for over 1,000.
2011: 14 players rushed for over 1,000.
2010: 17 players rushed for over 1,000.

So only once in the last 6 previous seasons do > half the teams have a 1,000 yards rusher and in a pass-happy league, the amount of rushing has dropped making 1,000 yard rushers harder to come by. But yeah, duh, 1,000 yard rushers are super easy to find.

Also, look at the top (top being defined as one of them that got 1,000+ yards) RBs in 2010, how many of them are still top RBs in 2016 or even relatively good? Only two; LeGarette Blount & Lesean McCoy. (Charles & Peterson are active, but are no longer top RBs)

Same exercise in 2013, how many of the top RBs n 2013 (again, "top" being defined as one of the RBs that got 1,000+ yards) are still top RBs in 2016? There are only two; McCoy & Murray. (Charles, Peterson, Matthews, Lacy, Gore, Forte, Morris are still active but no longer top RBs in the league)

Here's the point you keep missing. Not only is rushing for 1,000+ yards in the NFL really hard, so much so that less & less teams have 1,000 yard rushers, it's even harder to do it consistently over long periods because RBs have the shortest career lifespans of anyone in sports. Zeke is always one bad hit to the knee away from never being the same. You could say the same for every player, however RBs are the only ones who play such a physically punishing type of game and have to go through it play after play after play. There is huge turnover in the position whereas cornerbacks, there isn't. If you're a top-end cornerback, you could easily have an 8+ year career. How many RBs have 8+ year careers in the NFL? A handful, but the majority of the rest wash out within 5 because the game will destroy their body by the time they're done.

Like last year proved, the O-Line is the reason for the team's success at running the ball moreso than the runner himself. Despite having no QB and having no reason to fear the passing game, the opponents could stack the box to try preventing the run, the Cowboys still managed to have the fourth best rusher in the NFL.

I love Zeke, but I'm not convinced that he's a generational, HHOF type RB to be perfectly honest. Hell, he's definitely not even the best player from the draft. That's Dak. A top tier RB, though? Probably. Zeke is physical, tough, a real joy to watch, but there are a lot holes created by this O-Line for him and I don't see Zeke creating his own holes often enough.

Also, nobody is saying an average RB would be doing what Zeke is doing atm. That isn't the argument. I fully concede that if had Alfred Morris & McFadden as their RBs instead of Zeke, they would be less efficient on offense. However, if they had those two + Jalen Ramsey on defense, I think they'd be a more efficient team overall while still being one of the top rushing teams in the league. That defense is going to let them down bigtime against a really good team.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you could be so oblivious to this point.

2015: 7 players rushed over 1,000. McFadden was fourth in rushing in the NFL (14th in yards / carry)
2014: 13 players rushed for over 1,000. Murray was first in rushing in the NFL before falling off the face of the earth in Philly because, surprise surprise, they had no O-Line. In 2016 he's back o a team with an O-Line and his numbers are back. Shocker.
2013: 13 players rushed for over 1,000.
2012: 16 players rushed for over 1,000.
2011: 14 players rushed for over 1,000.
2010: 17 players rushed for over 1,000.

So only once in the last 6 previous seasons do > half the teams have a 1,000 yards rusher and in a pass-happy league, the amount of rushing has dropped making 1,000 yard rushers harder to come by. But yeah, duh, 1,000 yard rushers are super easy to find.

Also, look at the top (top being defined as one of them that got 1,000+ yards) RBs in 2010, how many of them are still top RBs in 2016 or even relatively good? Only two; LeGarette Blount & Lesean McCoy. (Charles & Peterson are active, but are no longer top RBs)

Same exercise in 2013, how many of the top RBs n 2013 (again, "top" being defined as one of the RBs that got 1,000+ yards) are still top RBs in 2016? There are only two; McCoy & Murray. (Charles, Peterson, Matthews, Lacy, Gore, Forte, Morris are still active but no longer top RBs in the league)

Here's the point you keep missing. Not only is rushing for 1,000+ yards in the NFL really hard, so much so that less & less teams have 1,000 yard rushers, it's even harder to do it consistently over long periods because RBs have the shortest career lifespans of anyone in sports. Zeke is always one bad hit to the knee away from never being the same. You could say the same for every player, however RBs are the only ones who play such a physically punishing type of game and have to go through it play after play after play. There is huge turnover in the position whereas cornerbacks, there isn't. If you're a top-end cornerback, you could easily have an 8+ year career. How many RBs have 8+ year careers in the NFL? A handful, but the majority of the rest wash out within 5 because the game will destroy their body by the time they're done.

Like last year proved, the O-Line is the reason for the team's success at running the ball moreso than the runner himself. Despite having no QB and having no reason to fear the passing game, the opponents could stack the box to try preventing the run, the Cowboys still managed to have the fourth best rusher in the NFL.

I love Zeke, but I'm not convinced that he's a generational, HHOF type RB to be perfectly honest. Hell, he's definitely not even the best player from the draft. That's Dak. A top tier RB, though? Probably. Zeke is physical, tough, a real joy to watch, but there are a lot holes created by this O-Line for him and I don't see Zeke creating his own holes often enough.

Also, nobody is saying an average RB would be doing what Zeke is doing atm. That isn't the argument. I fully concede that if had Alfred Morris & McFadden as their RBs instead of Zeke, they would be less efficient on offense. However, if they had those two + Jalen Ramsey on defense, I think they'd be a more efficient team overall while still being one of the top rushing teams in the league. That defense is going to let them down bigtime against a really good team.

Your rant just made Zeke even more special than he is . If its very hard to find a 1000 yard rusher , Zeke is a 1500-2000 yard rusher this year , pro bowler and arguably one of the best rookie seasons in league history.

Bow to the King :worshippy:

Nobody's calling Zeke a terrible running back. It's pretty clear that he's really good.

However, how much of that is him being really good and how much of that is him playing behind the best offensive line in football? The same offensive line that allowed Darren McFadden to rush for over a thousand yards last year?

Nobody's calling Zeke a terrible running back. It's pretty clear that he's really good.

However, how much of that is him being really good and how much of that is him playing behind the best offensive line in football? The same offensive line that allowed Darren McFadden to rush for over a thousand yards last year?

The beauty about the NFL is it's a sport of systems and putting the right pegs in the right holes . The creativity and roster flexibility is what I luv about the sport . Each team decides the system they want to employ such as a 3-4 or 4-3 on D and what type of offence do you want to employ such as a power running game or an aerial attack on O.

Then you draft and find your pieces to match your style .

Totally agreed that the O line helps immensely with Z's ability to perform , but he is elite and can explode for more yards and make more plays than most backs .

The same debate can be made about the Super Bowl champ Broncos , Peyton was crap and washed up last year but that D was top shelf elite and allowed them to limit the opposition to under 15 points a game and give the offensive all the wiggle room to just score enough points to win .

The point of investing so many picks on your OL (like the Cowboys have done) is to allow your RB and QB to shine. Not sure the point of this argument. Yep Zeke is benefitting from strong OL....that's his job and he's doing it very well and opposing teams are having nightmares trying to scheme against it....which makes Dak's job way easier.

BTW, the Dolphins have quietly won 5 in a row. They also invested their future in a stout OL.

Back